Mazda3 Climate Control

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by psyshack, Jan 9, 2008.

1. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

It seems some knew this and it is in the owners manual. And I thought I read that darn thing at least three times. I missed this little tid bit of utter insane... I have a college degree in engineering,,, look how I can screw up,,, crap.

If you set the heater up to blow on the floor.... Yes blow on the floor it runs the *&(#%@^*&((_&*(&)(*&_)( A/C compressor down to 38f and doesn't light up the A/C light on the A/C switch.

You expect the A/C compressor to run in defrost/defog. Or when on dash vent or split dash and windshield. BUT ON FLOOR!!!!!!!!

Im soooo mad at myself for NOT seeing this little bit of bad engineering and design in the owners manual. If I had seen it in the first 72 hours of ownership I would have demanded this be corrected or I would have returned the car.

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jeff:

___Do not beat yourself up over this as your FE will show a nice improvement over the nice segments you have posted in the past! Mazda must have inherited the 3’s A/C control from the same “dude’s” that designed the Ranger’s. Anything to the right of Off and A/C is running :angry: Or something like that ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

There must be some odd obsession with dry air in the auto industry. The Prius will do the same thing on any setting unless you manually disengage the compressor. I didn't figure it out until I had freezing cold air blowing on my hands despite having the climate control set 25F higher than the outside temp.

4. psyshack

Wayne at least the Ranger doesn't run the compressor in a stealth mode if you will. A ugly light comes on if its got power to the magdrive clutch. The 3 does it in stealth mode. I don't even want to think about all the gas 3 owners are wasting. Muchless how much Ive wasted over this no matter what my driving style is at the time. Thats 2 to 4 mpg,,,, just gone!!!!!

I do want to thank the fine folks over at http://www.mazda3forums.com/ for the info.

5. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I worked on auto A/C, but isn't there a plug that you can pull on the backside so the compressor won't engage. Mostly likely you won't really be needing A/C for a few days. ;)

Just speculating, but I'm guessing that they do it that way to be sure the compressor runs enough in the Winter to keep the seals happy.

6. psyshack

Its the manual system. Lord only knows what the auto climate control system does.

7. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

No, tell us how you really feel. ;)

8. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

It's a pain, ain't it Jeff? ;)

Fortunately, now you know and don't have to worry about running the compressor. It'll give you a noticeable bump in MPG (10%, if I remember your Mz3F post correctly), and that will help in the future. Who knows why the system was designed this way? Only the engineers.

I happened to stumble across that tidbit of info when I was doing research on the Mazda3 and swore to myself not to use those settings (only when necessary). I'm definitely looking forward to your higher numbers now that you know! :D

9. pumaman

pumaman Well-Known Member

Anyone know off the top of their heads if the same holds true for a Mazda 6?

Guess I'll get the book out and see if there was something I missed as well...:eek:

10. pumaman

pumaman Well-Known Member

Upon further review... (of the owners manual) the Mazda 6 goes into steath A/C mode only in defrost and defrost+floor modes. It states specifically that if you want dehumidified air in floor only, you must manually engage the A/C. Whew.
    The floor = compressor on design must either be Mazda 3 specific or something they added after 2006. :confused: Very strange. Maybe they want to be sure you don't have damp feet.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  11. iamlouie

iamlouie Member

So, where should the knob for the AC be pointed? Anywhere left of "floor"?

12. 2008Mazda3i

2008Mazda3i Well-Known Member

Yes anywhere left of the 12:00 position or floor setting will keep the compressor off.

BTW...those are great #s for the Auto!:)

13. iamlouie

iamlouie Member

Yeah, I'm trying to keep it up. I keep getting 33-34 tanks though. Hopefully it's just the weather. I was getting 36s constantly during the summer. Also living in hilly New England sucks.

14. Red6

Red6 Member

My 2005 Mazda6 blows cold air on the floor even with the climate control turned off. The fan always runs even with the system off. If you set the temp low then turn off the climate control your feet get cold.

Can you disconnect the AC at the compressor? Will it get me another 10% MPG???

15. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Are you sure it's not just cool outside air flowing through?