Ford Ranger, 40 MPG?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lugnuts001, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Lugnuts001

Lugnuts001 Well-Known Member

I’m considering buying a used Ranger (reg cab, 4x2, 2.3L, 5M). I was also strongly considering getting a Fit or Yaris, but low mileage Rangers only a few years old can be had for a lot cheaper. Plus I’m a do it yourselfer and a truck would come in handy once in a while. I’ve noticed a couple people (xcel and ilaveo) have gotten fuel mileage up to 40 and higher. I do ok compared to the 07- EPA ratings with the vehicles I have now and I have a SGII, but I’m not sure my hypermiling skills/tolerances are or ever will be good enough to do that well in a Ranger. Anyone have any thoughts? Most of my driving consists of in-town driving, not bumper to bumper, but some stop and go and up to 40-60 mph stretches for a few miles. However, I’d like to get decent highway mileage as well. I’m in central Florida and would like to visit the many nice places throughout Florida. I feel like I’m holding myself back just because I don’t want to waste the gas with my Jeep. So it boils down to this: Would it be possible to achieve a solid 40 mpg in mixed city/highway driving with a Ranger? I would be willing to make some mods (i.e., tonneau cover, change fluids, etc.).

Thanks,
    Phil

2. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

I'm averaging almost 29 in my '96, but this is with the old dual plug lima engine ('88-'98). If you get one with the DOHC 2.3 Duratec ('99+) you could probably attain a realistic average in the low to mid 30's, with more power.

40mpg would be a far reach, but hey, if you're up for a challenge show us all how it's done!

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Phil:

___That is a tough question. Around town being aggressive, 40 + is really easy. On the highway, you have to either be hypermile aggressive at 50 + mph w/ a ton of 4th gear HS P&G’s, draft or be willing to DWL along at 50 to hold 40 mpg with a completely setup Ranger … and it will barely hold too.

___I am looking at your Jeep w/ a stick sig and I suspect a ranger would do a bit better above EPA on a percentage term than the Jeep but not much. In other words, without throwing the book at it, I believe a 30 to 32 lmpg would be in your future? The Yaris can kick @$$ too but most non-hypermilers are pulling 33 – 37 in them. An aggressive hypermiler should push well into the mid 50’s but there has to be a lot of tolerance for working your tail off while pushing to those levels.

___I would do the calc’s at 120% of EPA (85- 07) combined on the Ranger and maybe 110% for the Yaris/Fit. Used Rangers w/ a stick can be found for a song as you have seen ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow, 40 mpg in mixed city is very good for a small MT non hybrid sedan(Civic,Corolla).A the Ranger is more or less the same weight-2800 lbs-but with more drag.
    You would have to use all the tricks-shutting down the motor at redlights,and shutting it down while driving and gliding,regular P&G, max out the tire pressure or maybe go a bit above the the MAX on the side wall.
    How well do you do with your current vehicle?40 mpg is probably two times the EPA city rating for a Ranger.Initially I would expect you to get about the same multiple of the EPA city with the Ranger as you get with your Jeep.
    Luck,
    Charlie
    PS I've noticed that the Ranger-used-is a good buy around here also.(New Orleans).

5. Lugnuts001

Lugnuts001 Well-Known Member

Beatr - I noted your comments having looked through some Ranger forums. Unfortunately they don't have any fuel mileage threads/polls like can be found for the Civic, Yaris, Fit, etc. I was hoping I could find a poll showing that the average Ranger driver got 30 mpg. A hypermiler could easily tack on 5 to that!

Wayne, thanks for your input especially regarding highway miles. It gives me a better idea because I generally drive the speed limit +/-. Highway speed limits around here are 65-70, so 50 would be really difficult. 30-32 mpg is what I estimated too :(. But yes I also suspect I would do significantly better than EPA in the Ranger than the Jeep. It's extremely difficult in the Jeep. I've had all seats out except the driver's, took out the front driveshaft, etc., did a lot of the tricks in the book, have a SGII and barely hit 20 mpg in one tank. Due to error from just one tank, it might not have even been 20!

Charlie, with the amount of effort needed for the Jeep, I think the transition to a Ranger would be easier. I rent cars pretty regularly for work, and I can do better than EPA without as much effort. I wouldn't mind using the tricks you mentioned. Depending on how that goes, I could also try some modifications. I wonder how well it would do if I took off the bed? :D

Well, I'm really tempted to try it. They're pretty cheap so if it doesn't work out they way I want I could probably sell it for minimal loss.

Thanks for your responses,
    Phil

6. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

30 mpg in a 2.3 mt 4x2 Ranger is not hard in mixed driving. The aerodynamics stink though, so for me getting 40 requires warm weather and driving slow. My tonneau cover is nice to have both for aerodynamics and as a cargo cover--IMO an inexpensive one would be worth the cost (starting under $100). I'm guessing that using A/C will be a concern in Florida that I don't know much about. Unfortunately, in my limited experience, buying a beater truck is more of a crapshoot than buying a beater car.:(

7. jcp123

jcp123 Caliente!

40 I suppose is within the realm of possibility. I average around 22 in our truck at work, but it's on really short trips (usually ~2 miles or so), and is saddled with an auto trans. I do what I can as far as that's concerned, but since I make deliveries, saving time > any other considerations.

8. Axess Denyd

Axess Denyd New Member

I've been driving a 1996 Ranger 4.0 for a few years now. I had been getting around 20MPG most of the time...city and highway. 've just started using hypermiling techniques, though, and have noticed definite increases in mileage, though not as much as many others.

~24 on a 6.5 mile trip to work (on a good day), up to 29 on a 30 mile trip at 60mph, and 24.5 on a round trip from Bowling Green, KY to Dayton, OH (close to 600 miles).

Definite improvements, but I feel that more can be done.

Maybe this isn't the place for it, but could someone explain "bump starting" while moving with a manual transmission? My only experience is with helping to push cars that wouldn't start, and that doesn't give me much to go on. I'm afraid of screwing up the clutch/transmission if I do it wrong.

9. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Think this is bump starting: Your Ranger is in motion....say you want to coast a quarter mile and cut the ignition (but electricty is still on, steering wheel not locked)...as you get the point you want to start the engine, you turn the ignition on, but don't crank the engine, then engage the gear. Generally, I use the highest gear possible to bump start - if it's highway speeds, I may do a half bump start to get the engine spinning, then do it a second time to reduce the shock.

If you are not familiar with this, try practicing this in an area of little to no traffic.

10. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

Why not go for the fit or yaris and rent a truck for the times you absolutely need one. You can fit a bunch of stuff in the fit or yaris, and either one is a lot easier to hypermile for big numbers.

11. duffster

duffster New Member

anyone who says they get 40 MPG in a ranger is ****ing lieing....30 is possible, but 40 is not..

12. xcel

Hi Duffster:

___That was an interesting statement coming from an ill-informed newbie. All I can add is you have a ton of reading and a bunch of learning ahead of you. 40 is a gimme in std. around freezing temps. In the summer, 50 + is a gimme locally and 40 + out on the highway.

___Sorry to be so harsh but calling everyone here a liar? Sounds like you need a clinic and soon …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

13. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call 40 a gimme in freezing temps for me --I gotta work for it.

I'll just let folks guess about my first impressions of Duffster.

Rich

14. xcel

Hi Rich:

___We have had a few of these types around here as of late, haven’t we ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Hahahahaha - Can't get 40 in a Ranger??!!! TorqueNada is a heavy pig in comparison to xcel and ILAveo's trucks, but I've done it and multiple times as well. Best segment to work during the summer was 50.0 for 11.5 miles. Just a couple nights ago with 20F temps I was up to 38.1 for 50 miles from Decatur to Bloomington... if I hadn't gotten whacked with snow I would have pulled that up.

16. dwschoon

dwschoon Active Member

I'm a newbie here and new to the concept of Hypermiling. I have a 99 Ranger std cab with the 2.5l manual transmission. Do you have any ranger specific tips for increasing the mileage? I noticed a definite improvement in my overall mileage by adding a soft tonneau cover. My best mileage has been around 22 city and 27 highway. Highway speeds here in Oklahoma are 65-70. Thanks for any advice.

17. xcel

Hi Dwschoon:

___Welcome to CleanMPG!

___Everything that work for a hybrid and non-hybrid will work with a Ranger within limits. Unfortunately at 70, you are throwing it away as fast as you can fill it. A well setup P/U with HS P&G using a 12 mph delta in the 50’s and low 60’s and maybe 4th only should get you into the mid 30’s range in the older Ranger. Around town, the sky’s the limit depending on what you face in your daily grind.

___As for Oklahoma’s speed limits, anything above 50 works fine in a RR. At least that is how it was two weeks ago when I was through there?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

18. Maxx

Maxx He who posts articles

OR, if you're looking for a bargain FE ride, look to a 2003+ Focus. I'm sure you can find one under 100k miles for a price.

EDIT
    I say 2003+ because by this time they had worked out the bugs.

19. dwschoon

dwschoon Active Member

Thanks for the info. I am trying to wrap my head around the P&G concept. During the glide phase, do you actually cut the engine, clutch, or just coast in gear? Sorry, but I had always heard that maintaining a constant speed was best for mileage, so the concept of speeding up and slowing down is foreign to me. I am just trying to understand what is done. I read the tutorial, but there was a lot about the prius hybrid system that doesnt apply to me. Thanks.

20. 93Hatch

93Hatch Well-Known Member

That is my thought as well. There's a chance I'll not need to rent a truck though. My neighbor, pastor, and FIL all have trucks. Why do I need one too? I'll let them use tools, do manual labor, or whatever in return.