VW delays Jetta TDI diesel into the US.

Discussion in 'Diesel powered automobiles' started by xcel, Nov 12, 2007.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

The former largest US volume diesel sedan manufacturer has a temporary setback with its next generation.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/VW_TDI_Discontinued.jpg[/xfloat]Richard Truett – Automotive News – Nov. 9, 2007

Volkswagen of America lost the ability to sell its once hot-selling diesel models due to the Tier II/Bin5 emissions specs. The new emissions system will be ready by late summer … I hope. -- Ed.

A problem with the emissions system in Volkswagen’s new Jetta TDI will delay the launch of the diesel sedan for about six months. The car is critical to VW’s plans to get back on track in the United States.

VW spokesman Keith Price confirmed that the delay will be announced this week at the Los Angeles auto show. Price would not give specifics about the technical problem, but he said it has been fixed.

The technical changes engineers made to solve the problem mean the car must go through emissions testing and validation again, Price said.

VW dealers have been without a new diesel car to sell since last spring. Production of the new model, which will be sold in all 50 states, was scheduled to start in January. The car will be built in Puebla, Mexico.

U.S. sales originally were expected to begin in early spring, Price said. Now sales won’t start until later in the summer.

“Sure, they’re disappointed,” Price said of dealers who have learned of the delay… [rm]http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/FREE/71109012/1023/LATESTNEWS[/rm]

2. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Bummer. We need these cars ASAP. Could Honda beat VW to the punch now?

3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi WriConsult:

___I am not sure. MB is here already but with VW’s system being re-certified, I am sure Audi’s is as well since they are using the same emissions package. Honda’s hopped up 2.2 in the Accord will not be here until possibly late 08 so it could be a horse race now?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

Shame - every month of delay represents about 5,000 - 7,000 lost sales for VWoA, plus diesel represents yet another alternative to same old same old 22MPG average FE

5. andy

andy Well-Known Member

“They’re disappointed, but they see the point that this car has to be perfect,” Price said of the dealers, adding, “They recognize the importance of this not only for their stores, but for the VW brand.”

"Perfect" is not in VW's vernacular. VW has a long way to go with QUALITY. I finally sold my 2001, the single biggest automotive dissappointment in my life. "Nickel and Dime" is an understatement when it comes to VW maintenance. You will spend more money on maintenance on a VW diesel than fuel effiency saves you on fuel.

You couldn't give me a next generation VW diesel. It would be up on Ebay as soon as you passed me the keys.

I would wait 2 years minimum for the reliability scores to come in.

"A VW diesel nut for the past 11 years."