First 100 mpg segment in an Insight 5-speed by a female!

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by xcel, Apr 29, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___I just got off the phone with Billy and he told me Cynthia received her first 100 mpg round trip back and forth to work segment in her Insight 5-speed today. I asked that she send me a gauge cluster pic ASAP so I could upload it. Not only did she crush the EPA in Gary G’s FEH while at Sebring last month, now she is the first female to breach the 100 mpg barrier that I know of!

[​IMG]

___Cynthia, congrats and I was sure excited hearing about your drive today!

___On a similar note, Billy received his new Ranger 2.3 w/ the 5-speed today. Because it’s the long bed, it has a 20 gallon tank! I know he will be the first to nail an 800 mile tank and will probably do it by his second tank … Bill, I hate to place to much pressure on you this early in the game ;)

___Good Luck to the both of you.

___Wayne

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  2. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

hopefully this will encourage the other members to start challenging us champs for the title of 100 mpg, congrats on the title though.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Congratulations!

I can get 85mpg on my 2000 5-speed Insight when trying, but that's my PR (runner's abbreviation for Personal Record). Typical work commutes are in the low 70s.

Next Friday, I drive from Dallas to Fort Collins Colorado. Legitimately, I got over 85mpg from Dallas to Wichita Falls, but might have gotten 95. Cheating, I could go 50 miles west of Denver and coast down I70 eastbound. :D

4. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

WOW!!

Good job!!!

As for the Ranger. I dont drive my hunk of crap Ranger anymore. It just sets there. I have to force myself to start it every week or two. Ive regreted buying it from day one. I really wish somebody would steal it. It just proves to me Ford can screw up anything it wants and not even try. :)

5. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Congrads Cindy,

That's what concentration and determination will do. My wife Rhonda is slowly coming around, but will never push any vehicle that far over EPA. You have the smarts to take it to the limit as Wayne and I saw when you hit over 50mpg the first time behind the wheel of my FEH. Billy must be getting a little nervous about this time. Please, don't go buying a FEH, I have a reputation to maintain.

GaryG

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Almost Matched it This Morning

I could not beat her 100.1mpg this morning - got 95.5mpg over about 24.5 miles on the way to work this morning.

I cheated a bit by driving a couple of miles to warm up before setting the trip meter, and drove with 50 psi in the tires. About 85% of the commute was freeway, most of the rest it was easy to hit green lights. I was cruising 45mph instead of about 55mph.

It was a personal record, nonetheless.

7. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Re: Almost Matched it This Morning

Cindy seems to be inspiring others.... My wife has been able to maintain low 50's in the Prius which is pretty good considering that her drive to work is less than 10 miles. Then there are the errands which also kill FE. Over the past several days, Thursday thru Saturday, I put around 250 miles on the Prius and had it up to 68MPG. I don't think she can maintain that, but hopefully at least finish the tank over 60.

8. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

Well done Cindy!

While I'm nowhere near the 100+MPG mark, I'm glad to report today that I achieved 32+MPG with the Taurus. 440 miles, 70%hwy / 30%city on 13.6 gallons. Not bad for an old Ford! :D

I have no intentions of a hijack, so I'll reiterate; congrats Cindy! Keep it up!

9. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Again - congratulations Cindy!

From personal experience, this was not easy to do!

10. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

you go, girl. we need to show that this side of the gender divide can do just as well as the other (not male bashing, guys, you know i respect you all)......:D

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Laurie:

___Do you want to know what is really scary in regards to us man creatures? With you in your HCH-I, Tarabell in her HCH-II, and Cynthia in her Insight, you three have the makings for an Ad-Hoc man-killing Hypermiling team! I know Billy w/ his Insight (Cynthia’s BF), Tbaleno w/ his CVT based HCH-I, and Mark (GreenandBlue) w/ his HCH-II would have a serious uphill battle knocking you three gals out of the running in a head to head FE challenge :D

___I am sort of glad I don't own a hybrid at this point in time knowing what you three are capable of ;) "You Go Girl" is absolutely, positively, 100% correct!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Hey Wayne! Don't go starting trouble there!

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

My best run on my Insight was 95.5 over 24 miles, so Cynthia has one up on me. It does not keep me awake at night.

I did not see any real male-bashing here - some of that kind of stuff makes half the human race seem like war criminals. I do some male-bashing myself when talking about the reclining stiff-armed guys in their huge pickup trucks. :D

14. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

thanks, wayne. high praise coming from you. i feel like mine is a little low right now, since i am just getting back to regular driving, and the 50.5 or whatever is left over from my winter stats. i dont know how long it takes to move the average up, but it's feel right good lately. now that the weather is nice, i don't mind taking the backroads home and driving slower.......

laurie, posting in the wee hours (still wake up to take pain pills from the knee thing, and wondering how in the world i am going to do it when i have the right knee done!)

15. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

And Now, for a Bashed Male!

I may not have made it clear that there has been no real male-bashing here.

For a bashed-male check out Evil Knievel, who set a Guiness Record for most broken bones (40) :eek:

A Sports Illustrated article has Evil living in almost unbearable pain at 67 - some days he can hardly walk. All those crashes have caught up with him.