Mazda2’s FE with the 1.5 = 36.75 mpg on an Australian FE test cycle(s)

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by xcel, Sep 7, 2007.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___The Mazda2 reviews in Australia are being reveled and the numbers are not as promising as some of us had hoped :(

New Mazda2 in the flesh.

The Zoom-Zoom philosophy continues at Mazda with the release of the new lighter, stronger, safer and cuter Mazda2.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Mazda2_Side.jpg[/xfloat]Australian CarAdvice – Sep. 5, 2007

The Mazda2 is available in three model variants - Neo, Maxx and Genki, all of which share the same 76 kW 1.5L engine.

The “super little” Mazda2 is surprisingly even smaller than the superseded model, with 41mm cut from its length (now 3885mm), 65mm from its height, although the wheelbase stays the same (2490mm) and width has increased a little (15mm). However, interior space for people and cargo remains very competitive.

This downsizing helped Mazda cut 100kg from the first generation Mazda2. As a result, Mazda has improved the standard feature list on the Australian Neo models which are now about 60kg lighter than before …
    ___6.4L/100 km equates to 36.75 mpg US. on the ADR cycle whatever that is? The Prius-II/HCH-II are rated at 4.4L/100 km (53.45 mpg US) and 4.6L/100 km (51.1 mpg US) respectively on this/these same cycle(s) if that helps?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Re: Mazda2’s FE with the 1.5 = 36.75 mpg on an Australian FE test cycle(s).

Cripes. I'm getting really tired of the "Attack of the Tiny Cars with Silly Bad FE"

3. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

It's the gearing. They put great engines in these things, then they gear them to "zoom-zoom." Makes you run at 70 MPH at high RPMs.

Mazda caters to a sporty/economy market, so they have to fulfill that image. Too bad they can't have different models for different buyers (sporty vs. economical).

4. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

The 5 door hatch ruins it for me... Bummer :(

psy

5. Right Lane Cruiser

John, I hear you but it seems every small car on the market regardless of manufacturer is disappointing in the FE department? I expect something that size to hit solid 45s on the highway with no extra effort, and not even Toyota's Yaris is doing that! I'm even less inclined to cut them some slack when the Corolla hangs right up there with the Yaris!!

Gah. :(

Jeff, what don't you like about the 5 door configuration? Is it the configuration or the appearance of this model with that configuration? I kinda like it...

6. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

While the focus of this site is solely on fuel economy and emissions and often overlooks other considerations, comparing the Mazda2 to a Prius is sort of an apples to oranges comparision.

To put things in a different perspective, the base price of the (outgoing) Mazda 2 in the Australian market is $AUS 16,335-20,290, and the Prius ranges from $AUS 37,400-46,900.

In Australia you could literally buy 2 Mazda2's for the price of one Prius.

7. johnf514

Agreed aca. RLC, while it's unfortunate that all of these smaller economy cars are getting low(er) gas mileage, at least *all* of them are that way. What I mean is that it's due to government regulations in safety, emissions etc. The economy car of 20 years ago got 50+ MPG off the showroom floor, but it was a tin can and a CO2 spewer. Can't have it all, eh? ;)

8. Right Lane Cruiser

I would tend to agree BUT, why does the Corolla get the same numbers?? If I paired a Corolla down to match a Yaris in size/weight, I would have something performing in the range of 45mpg on the highway, right? So what gives?? Smaller car gets the same rating as the bigger car???

Same problem with the Accent and the Elantra. One mpg difference on the highway makes no sense for that kind of difference in size.

9. johnf514

Here's an interesting tidbit - the Yaris is only 250lbs lighter than the Corolla. Similarly, the Accent is only 350lbs lighter than the Elantra. Hence your 1-2 MPG difference. While the cars look/act smaller, their mass is quite similar.

I compared base models with 5MT.

10. Right Lane Cruiser

Well, color me confused. I'm probably just stuck on this topic but it sure seems to me that something that much smaller ought to weigh substantially less. The difference in displacement should also make a difference, but apparently doesn't??

Alright. I'm done fuming here. I'll go back to quietly dreaming of the 45+mpg cars of that size that I WISH were on the market.

11. johnf514

I wish it did, my friend. I'm with you - why can't the market build a 45+ MPG non-hybrid? Answer? Because (not enough) consumers want it yet. :(

12. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Just dont like mini 5 door hatchs. If I want a station wagon. I want it useable and much larger.

13. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

You're not thinking high enough. The question is "Why can't the market build a 70+ MPG non-hybrid?" Why did I have to modify a 16 year old, 45+ MPG non-hybrid to get the 70+ MPG non-hybrid that I am driving today. Why can't I buy such a wonder straight off the dealer's lot? I keep getting sorely disappointed by the simply atrocious FE of these modern small cars which the advertisers then whoop up as if they were cutting edge performance.

14. johnf514

Good point basjoos. I only meant a 45+ MPG non-hybrid, as I want the average US driver to achieve 45 MPG. That means I can get 60+ no problem. As it stands now, cars rated at 30/40 city highway might see 22/28 because their driver is uneducated about how to drive appropriately.

15. Right Lane Cruiser

Basjoos -- I could only dare to dream!! I think you should get into the business of creating extreme aerodynamic mods for particular cars to eek out higher mileage -- and then maybe transition into a company that preinstalls such kits for customers and even on new cars with professional finishes!

You'd have a customer here! ;)

I do wonder what my car would manage at highway speeds with mods like yours, though my routes are usually not a majority of highway work anymore.

16. FocusGuy77

FocusGuy77 Guy with Focus

I'm still waiting for that little car with great FE, too. VW diesels are coming this spring, but they ain't cheap. I think the manufacturers have been selling the majority of their "b-segment" cares to city dwellers, and assume that those of us who have a 60 or more minute commute wouldn't be interested.

17. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

Ok ...I'm disappointed . Rated at less than 40 mpg,no option for a 3 door *and* $16-21,000. They missed a marketing opportunity.

18. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

makes me happy I didn't sit around and wait for it to come instead of buying my yaris (although i do prefer the 5 door to the 3 door)

19. psic

psic Well-Known Member

VW already had one great small car with awsome FE: the old Lupo 3L which got 78 MPG! Why they stopped making them I have no clue.

20. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Psic:

___It was a hybrid nightmare with its start-stop acting like it was on drugs, it was uncomfortable as all get out, it had 0 - 60 performance in the 15 + second range and IIRC, they sold like 500 per year because it was a POS irregardless of the FE :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne