Hyundai IONIQ 5 Earns Car and Driver's 2022 EV of the Year

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Oct 23, 2022.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Yet another coveted award added to the trophy case.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Aug. 18, 2022

[​IMG]

The EV award uses the same criteria as Car and Driver’s 10Best Awards. The winner must exceed the expectations of the Car and Driver editorial and testing teams in four key areas:
    • Value
    • Mission Fulfillment
    • Technology Advancement
    • Fun to Drive
    Hyundai’s “IONIQ 5 continues to satisfy customers and will build on this momentum with the launch of the IONIQ 6 and 7. Accolades like the Car and Driver EV of the Year are particularly rewarding to the teams that designed and engineered IONIQ 5 to deliver standout charging speed, innovative features and driving dynamics.

The rest of the field was filled with some fabulous vehicles making this award that much more impressive. They contenders include the following:
    • Audi e-tron GT
    • BMW i4, BMW iX
    • Chevrolet Bolt EV
    • Chevrolet Bolt EUV
    • Cadillac Lyriq
    • Ford Mustang Mach-e GT
    • Ford F150 Lightning
    • GMC Hummer EV Pickup
    • Lucid Air Grand Touring
    • Mercedes EQS
    • Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
    • Rivian R1T
    • Tesla Model S Plaid
    • Volvo C40 Recharge
    Car and Driver employed instrumented testing, subjective evaluation and side-by-side comparison in both practicality and entertainment value.

I will add that the Ioniq 5 and its sibling, Kia EV6, are currently manufactured in Korea. From my reads of the recently signed IRA law, they - customers, lost the $7,500 Tax credit due to their manufacturing location. That will place them at a severe disadvantage to the Mach-E, Model Y, and ID.4 which should qualify for the full $7,500.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.