IKEA and Electrify America Collaborate on DCFC At Over 25 IKEA Retail Locations

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 11, 2022.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] IKEA will quadruple the number of DCFCers, a big step toward the IKEA global circular and climate positive goals.

Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Aug. 11, 2022

At an IKEA store Near you

[​IMG]
    A Ford E-Transit and a Hyundai Ioniq 5 DCFCing on an EA 150 and 350 respectively. How perfect is that? ;)

For IKEA to be a climate positive business by 2030, it needs to move beyond the stores, the inventory, and logistics chain to supply its stored worldwide. In that light, the company has begun to implement DCFCing to reduce its customers carbon footprint. How cool is that!

This morning, IKEA U.S. announced a collaboration with Electrify America and Electrify Commercial to bring ultra-fast DCFC stations and delivery fleet electric vehicle (EV) charging to over 25 IKEA retail locations throughout the U.S. This joint effort will enable IKEA U.S. to quadruple its total number of EV chargers, which supports the goal of achieving zero-emission home deliveries by 2025 and halving relative emissions from customer and co-worker travel by 2030.

In total, there will be more than 200 individual ultra-fast chargers offering the fastest charging speeds available today – 150kW to 350kW – at IKEA retail locations in 18 states including in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Washington. The first locations are expected to open in late 2022 and be completed by the end of 2023.

For its EV delivery fleet, IKEA selected Electrify Commercial, Electrify America’s business unit designed to help deliver turnkey electric vehicle charging solutions, to provide more than 225 individual chargers across the sites. This is the first time Electrify America and Electrify Commercial are installing both public and fleet chargers at the same time for a project.

Since opening its first charging station in May 2018, Electrify America has set a rapid pace for its network expansion, opening an average of nearly four stations per week. Currently, Electrify America has more than 800 stations and 3,500 individual chargers open with plans to expand to 1,800 charging stations comprised of 10,000 individual chargers in the United States and Canada by 2026.

I can add that if you can pick up a more cost effective and healthier meal anywhere in the country, buy it! While waiting the few minutes for your vehicle to charge, you can walk through the world’s largest furniture store, and eat a great meal for dimes on the dollar compared to anywhere else. The point is to bring more customers into their stores of course. Influencing that visit with onsite Electrify America DCFCers is a benefit. For us. ;)

BillLin likes this.
  2. xcel

Hi All:

2022 Porsche Taycan Waiting to Charge

[​IMG]
    At an Electrify America Station in Orlando, FL.​

Last Friday I was in Orlando working on a TBA internal Porsche project and ran into this...

2 EA chargers of the 6 are out, and the Walmart trucks are going to 100%. Those Walmart E-Transits only charge at 115 KW too. :(

The Leaf ahead of me needs that CHAdeMO and who knows where the slow charging pos Bolt owner is??? [​IMG]

Somedays are worse than others but it is always a great day to be behind the wheel of the mighty Taycan. [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  3. xcel

Hi All:

And the front end of two of the three Ford E-Transits camped at this Electrify America location with upwards of four others waiting including me in the Porsche Taycan, the LEAF shown, a VW ID.4, and an EQS that showed up soon afterwards.

2022 Ford E-Transit

[​IMG]
    At an Electrify America Station in Orlando, FL.​

Wayne

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait Well-Known Member

At this point, companies investing in EV fleets for their business really should be installing private chargers for their use. With the public infrastructure really just starting to grow, they should be viewing their fleets like CNG ones. There are probably subsidies available to them for the chargers.

On another note, I like the Taycan color.

xcel and BillLin like this.
  5. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

I like the Lucid Sapphire color. :) I don't care much for the Sapphire EV's bragging rights.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
    xcel likes this.
  6. BillLin

re: lines/queues waiting to charge

Perhaps they should institute charging time limits so that those in line can have a more predictable wait time. A 15-30 minute limit would also discourage the slow charging EVs from wasting everyone's time. First come first served is basic fairness, but if they're hogging a fast charger for an hour, and there are people waiting, that isn't really fair (in my mind).

edit: Imagine a line at a gas station, and several in line ahead of you are going to fill up 50 gallon drums...

xcel likes this.
  7. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Time limits are good if enforced. Time to mount chargers on fourth story of parking garages. Set strict 30 minute time limit. After 30 minutes, charge socket spits out the cable. After an additional five minutes, the Jetsons-style moving sidewalk that is set up in each EV parking spots moves the car forward 20 feet and off the edge of the building to smash on the pavement 50 feet below. Sign at ground level advises "caution - beware of falling EVs owned by disgusting pigs who use charging stations as a second driveway". Next car can safely park and charge for half an hour. Quick, easy, and self-regulating. Once people find out their insurance won't cover the total loss from hogging the charger, they will adhere to the time limit.

xcel, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  8. BillLin

Trust you to come up with a hilarious solution. :D Oh wait, you were serious? ;) Enforcement methods would be good. I like the moving sidewalk idea. Cost penalties and banning from the network (after a small number of infractions) would be another. There are already cost penalties on some networks when charging is complete and the car stays in the charging bay after a grace period. Just have to change that to start billing exorbitant amounts beyond 80% (or lower) charging level (unless no one is waiting).

xcel likes this.
  9. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Considering the violation rate for people parking in handicap spots, I am not optimistic that people will follow the rules on time limits for EV chargers. It make take several total losses to wake them up, so bring on the moving sidewalk of justice. Alternately, the charger can send a friendly "you've been charging more than half an hour" 3000 volt AC spike through the cable and blow the car's charger to kingdom come. But that would take the charger offline even longer as the destroyed car would then need to be towed from the scene and delivered to Copart as a total loss.

Someone at my church mentioned last Sunday that he was looking for an EV in order to get away from buying gasoline. I told him to give me the street address of five DC fast chargers within a ten mile radius of his house that are all guaranteed to be online and operational and guaranteed to be available when he needs to charge. He didn't even know where one was, not counting whether it is online and available. Knowing there are EV squatters that prevent charging by other cars, it is not easy to encourage electric propulsion.

xcel and BillLin like this.