Month of August 2022 (Nat'l Avg $4.212)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the grind :D
    Post your August exploits here :)

[​IMG]

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks , Gord.
    Came to work late today , as I had a concert last night.
    I drove a little bit faster than usual , but a tailwind was helping.
    33.3 miles , fcd = 68.1 x .943 = 64.2 MPG.

xcel, Gord, litesong and 1 other person like this.
  3. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Sunday drive farther afield in the Prius Prime in search of fresher produce. Also known by us as a pack ride with me, wife and dog.

trip B: 37.2 miles, 183.6 MPG
    5.08 kWh to recharge, measured at the 240V wall outlet

That breaks down to:
    0.203 gallons gasoline
    105 MPGe overall
    6.3 cents/mile ($4 gasoline, $0.30/kWh)

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 64 deg F in Naperville , 65 in Elk Grove.
    No wind.
    33.3 miles , fcd = 68.3 x .943 = 64.4 MPG.

xcel, litesong and Gord like this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

A perfect storm of moderate temperatures and wind (direction) pushed the Prius
    to what may be a personal best for my inbound commute ( always i-88 and i-355 , always small letters ).
    74 deg F in Naperville and Elk Grove. Wind SW 13
    33.3 miles fcd = 72.7 x .943 = 68.6 MPG.
    I just drove "normal". I did notice everyone else driving much faster. Shrugs.
    The trip home will probably be another kind of storm : thunder. And if the wind stays like
    this , I'll be lucky to get a 62 (fcd) trip on Scenic Route #2 ( no highway).

Gord, litesong, xcel and 1 other person like this.
  6. BillLin

Snort.

Gord, EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today 73 deg F in Naperville , 74 in Elk Grove Village.
    Wind SW8.
    33.3 miles , fcd = 71.5 x .943 = 67.4 MPG.

Gord, litesong and BillLin like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 70 deg F in Naperville , 68 in Elk Grove.
    Wind N3.
    33.3 miles , fcd = 69.4 x .943 = 65.4 MPG.
    102 miles remaining. Hopefully this tank will last until I get
    home Saturday night. I don't plan to drive a car Sunday.
    Just Giant and Grom.

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 73 deg F in Lombard and Elk Grove.
    Wind SW2.
    16.3 miles , fcd = 77.7 x .943 = 73.2 MPG
    Tank is at 605.8 miles , 70.6 MPG (fcd)
    68 miles remaining. Should be around 40 more miles
    before I get home today , so I may not fill up until Monday AM.

10. BillLin

Outstanding!

Gord and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

It's so easy to get good results on a Saturday morning leaving at 4:25 AM.
    The only worry is draining a bar of SOC if I'm not careful.
    I have to remember to drive at a steady speed (DWL) once in a whie.
    It's just a habit to P&G whenever I "own the road".

Gord and BillLin like this.
  12. litesong

litesong litesong

Didn’t waste gas, but walked down to the lake to watch the 3 Tri-Athlons. All other observers stayed near the start of the swims, but I took my binoculars to cover the far end of the lake. After their swims, they bicycled away from me, so I didn’t see the biking. But the runs circled the lake & I got to cheer & applaud the runners for encouragement. I was surprised how few runners were remaining. That swim knocked the stuffing out of a lot of athletes……or non-athletes. A woman passed by in fourth place, among the men, & finally came in 7th. The men had targeted her, & if they were close, they must have passed her at the end. They triumphed, even if they were old geezers.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

As a geezer myself , I salute them !

14. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Long time no see everyone! I haven't really driven much over the past year or so. Had my second and third service done at my local Toyota dealer. I'm at 8,500 and I've owned the car since April of 2021. Since January, I've driven roughly 2,600 miles. So far this year, I have filled up with 52.19 gallons of fuel, for an average MPG of 48.8 . That includes the horrible winter that we had, the snow at one point was up to my door handles. This most recent tank was 653.1 miles and 12.079 gallons for 54.07 MPG. I can usually beat city/highway MPG during the summer, winter it drops to high 30s to mid 40s.

Not sure if we're going to be taking any other vacations this year, maybe one trip to see the family. So I'll be pushing 10k miles by January if I'm lucky :D Otherwise, the car mostly just goes to work and back, the Y, and church. We went to Williamsburg, Virginia back in December. Then in March we went to San Francisco. Talk about an exhausting place, it was enjoyable, but with my health getting worse, I don't know if I'd be able to do that again.

Gord, BillLin and litesong like this.
  15. litesong

litesong litesong

Great to have you back! 48.8MPG with snow up to the door handles is great! San Francisco is exhausting? Yeah, that’s why I avoid cities when I’m on vacation. Mountains, lakes, farms, ranches, wilderness & even desert areas, refresh me. I have Seattle here when I want to be exhausted. You’re right. I avoid Seattle most of the time, too.

Hey, hey, hey…..watch your health. As I said, go to mountains, lakes, farms, ranches & mountains to refresh yourself.

16. litesong

litesong litesong

Hey, Bill. Are you anywhere near some of the $3.799 gas stations in Massachusetts?

17. BillLin

I don't know. As I've said, I don't chase cheap gas. I fill up in town at BJ's, 5.4 miles away when I'm there for bulk supplies. Their price is currently $3.91, so my cost would be $3.81 since I have "their" credit card. There are also additional 5 cent/gallon discounts if I buy certain products, but I have rarely hit those opportunities. Area prices range from $3.97 to $4.49 per GasBuddy.

My prior fill-up was around $4 many months ago. I'm currently mostly running on solar powered EV mode, worth about 30 cents/kWh.

18. litesong

litesong litesong

With the discounts you get good prices without the searching. We do too, with the Costco yearly credits. However, with the recent ups & downs & ups of gas prices, Costco is developing higher gas prices. One Costco station is almost 60cents more expensive than the lowest priced Washington state station. I wish Costco had one pump that delivered 100% gasoline(no ethanol), but I’m sure even a Costco price would still place 100% gasoline too high.

Gord, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  19. litesong

litesong litesong

As I said, I applauded & cheered them as they went by me. I don’t like men who let women set the pace & egotistically pass the women, so they can say the women didn’t beat them. First, as I said, it’s egotistical, & second, it’s the lazy man’s way to race. Run your own race to the extent of your abilities & don’t think you are superior, if you beat women by a few seconds…..specially if you let women set the pace.

Gord, BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  20. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today it is 76 deg F in Naperville and 77 in Elk Grove.
    Wind SW8
    Bought fuel this morning , so I take scenic route #3 that goes thru Naperville on Rte 34 , then takes
    Naperville Road to I-88. It is shorter ( 32.6 miles ) but takes about the same time.
    87 E10 was $4.499 at Amoco.
    660.0 miles , fcd = 70.5 x .943 = 66.5 MPG.

Today , 32.6 miles , fcd = 71.5 x .943 = 67.4 MPG.

I wasn't aware that there is a race between men and women.
    Mostly I can't tell the gender of other drivers because I am watching the ROAD.