Month of June 2022 (Nat’l Avg $4.671)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the grind :D

[​IMG]
    Regular up another 11.5%

litesong and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks for starting the thread, Gord.
    I generally don't post my homebound trips , but this one was too juicy.
    31.6 miles (THE shortest route , methinks ) fcd = 76.2 x .943 = 71.8 MPG. And zero tolls paid.

The more popular gas stations( busy intersection ) are selling 87 E10 for $5.599.
    Ouch. Could be worse. I could be in San Diego. Right , Wayne ?

Gord, litesong and BillLin like this.
  3. litesong

litesong litesong

Stopped at 2 Costco gasoline stations yesterday, AND BOTH STATIONS had already raised their prices (a lot), as compared to the most recent reports on Gasbuddy!

Gord, BillLin and Janice Cooper like this.
  4. Janice Cooper

Janice Cooper Member

Tuesday morning when I went to work, the station on the corner was charging $4.49/gal. It was $4.79/gal in the evening. Yikes!

5. litesong

litesong litesong

& $4.79/gal will be a good price even as early as next week. Hey, its already a good price here in Western Washington!

Gord, Janice Cooper and BillLin like this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 57 deg F in Naperville , 59 in Elk Grove.
    Wind 1 SSW
    33.3 miles , fcd = 68.5 x .943 = 64.6 MPG
    Tank is at 523 miles , fcd = 68.4.

7. litesong

litesong litesong

Lightning storms knocked out electrical power around the Salish Sea(Puget Sound) area. Our power was out for about 1.5 hours. Dragged out our 5 battery &/or hand-cranked lanterns. Got some battery & hand-cranked radios somewhere. We also had the flashlights in our phones. But the power came back on, before it got dark. So, we are ready, at least for a while.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 55 deg F in Naperville , 61 in El;k Grove.
    Wind SW8
    33.3 miles , fcd = 69.5 x .943 = 65.5 MPG.

litesong, Gord and BillLin like this.
  9. litesong

litesong litesong

From yesterday:
    Lightning knocked out our power again (predicted), but only for 5 or 10 seconds. Took our internet about 10 minutes to reset itself tho. Sure hope none of them big solar flare predictions will strike AND we can electrically harden our electrical infrastructure.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  10. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

haha... next joke. ;)

Gord and litesong like this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 55 deg F in Lombard and Elk Grove.
    Wind NW3.
    16.3 miles . fcd = 74.1 x .943 = 69.9 MPG.
    I will be filling up on the way home.
    Tank is currently at 69.5 fcd.

Gord, BillLin and litesong like this.
  12. BillLin

With energy costs so high these days, I've been looking at driving efficiency from the energy cost per mile standpoint. Many of us have looked at gasoline cost per mile from fill-up data. I seem to remember 2 to 3 cents/ mile was typical in the good old days of cheaper gas in the Prius.

Today, my wife and I drive PHEVs with Toyota's hybrid system. Deriving cost per mile gets more complicated for every trip.

I don't try to get to the last few percent of accuracy by having calibrated distances or going beyond what the aFCD shows. I record trip aFCD, distance and actual kWh to top off the battery on the home L2 EVSE.

Here's one longer trip my wife took yesterday to pick up special cupcakes. Yes, she's a bit crazy. :D

57.7 miles trip B
    62.5 MPG aFCD
    1.57 kWh in 37:28 (slow L2)

I have a calculator app that is programmable and I have saved a program to display some results based on the above, and from some assumed energy costs. The last tank fill-up was around $4/gallon. Our electricity is about $0.30/kWh.

0.92 Gallons
    0.047 eGallons
    59.5 MPGe
    7.2 cents per mile

For quick reference, I have a spreadsheet with some reference costs and MPG and MPGe values. The latter is for use with EV only and not blended PHEV operation.

Screenshot_20220522-074314.png

More work and analysis to be done, and more data to collect.

For comparison, I have one trip in the Crosstrek Hybrid logged.

3.63 kWh in 1:15:25
    63.6 MPG aFCD
    49.5 miles trip B

additional charging while at an appointment
    added 2.18 kWh in 41 minutes
    5.81 kWh total
    Free charging but I'll use the same cost as home charging to simplify my calculations, and accounting for energy costs.

0.78 Gallons
    0.17 eGallons
    52.1 MPGe
    9.8 cents per mile

So that's how two PHEVs have behaved in blended hybrid/EV mode.

Gord and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Assuming from the pronoun that your wife is a woman. ( can't be too careful these days ).
    So it goes without saying that she's a bit crazy. Any man here who has been married knows this.
    Janice knows it. :)

Bill , it amazes me how one can even calculate energy used the way you ( and Gord ) do.
    I am too dumb/lazy to do so. Maybe that's why I don't have a PHEV !

And $0.30/kWH ? Ouch !

14. BillLin

Here are a couple of EV only short trips

Prius Prime

6.8 miles
    1.48 kWh
    0.044 eGallons
    155 MPGe
    6.5 cents per mile

Crosstrek Hybrid

6.9 miles
    1.98 kWh
    0.059 eGallons
    117 MPGe
    8.6 cents per mile

Gord likes this.
  15. litesong

litesong litesong

Hey hey hey……..I started the sentence with “Sure hope…..”. A tough crowd here! :p

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

Filled up today at Amoco in Naperville.
    87 E10 was $5.539
    649.1 miles
    9.765 gallons
    fcd = 69.4 x .943 = 65.4 MPG
    Driving to St Charles Sunday morning, riding bike to Sycamore , back home to pick up Kelly ,
    take her to music festival in Oak Park.

17. litesong

litesong litesong

Being retired, this $5+ per gallon gas, has crushed my often optional driving! Yeah, the increased rain (even for Washington state) over the past 4-5 months is decreasing my driving, too. The worst thing about all this decreased driving…..I’ve forgotten how to shift our manual transmissions! Let’s see…….2nd gear does come after 1st gear. That is right, isn’t it?
    Found myself shifting from 2nd gear to 5th gear, the other day.
    If the gas price goes lots higher, I expect our automatic transmission will forget how to shift, too! Then, we’ll be in big trouble! o_O

18. litesong

litesong litesong

Looking for ever-shorter trips for nice walks(recently my walks have had to be shorter, too). Yesterday, I drove to our near by lake for a walk. Short on birds to see (think they are nesting). Walking along the lake & a farm access road tho, I did see see the uncommon Lazuli Bunting! It gave me a good view with Lucky Binocular. Look up some images of the bird. Very pretty with its blue, orange, white & black colors. Nice song too. So, the lake was lucky with Lucky binocular, despite the lack of birds.

Now today, drove to the lake, again with Lucky binocular. Walking slowly, a nice Osprey flew by. Of course, Lucky binocular gave a sweet, sharp view. AND the Osprey circled near me, extending my binocular view of it. A bit further on the trail, Lucky binocular gave a view of a Rough-legged Hawk, about 200 yards out in the open fields standing on a fence post. Look them up. Very, very great hawk-sighting. Then, turning 45degrees, a large Turkey Vulture was flying close. It disappeared over a hedge. So, I returned Lucky binocular back to the hawk, which continued to sit quietly, but observing the fields. Turning again, I not only saw 1 Turkey Vulture, but FIVE! Man, it was like wherever I looked, great views of birds occurred. Lucky binocular LUCK was working overtime. It was like I was in an aviary!
    As I’ve stated before, the ability to zoom to 15 to 17 power, instead of being limited to 7 to 8 power, is well worth the disadvantages of zoom binoculars.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Gord, EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 66 deg F in Naperville , 67 in Elk Grove.
    Wind SSW4.
    33.3 miles , fcd = 69.7 x .943 = 65.7 MPG.

I came straight home from work Saturday , just stopping at Planet Fitness , which is 0.1 miles out of the way.
    Sunday I drove a lot farther , approx. 100 miles. But all of that was around 70 fcd.
    Rode bikes with my brother 29 miles.
    Took Kelly to a music festival in Oak Park , which is a lovely Cook County suburb.
    We tolerated each other well for five hours. :)

Gord, BillLin and litesong like this.
  20. litesong

litesong litesong

Toleration is OK. Long lasting connections & love are much better. :):D