Month of April 2022 (Nat’l Avg $4.252)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by EdwinTheMagnificent, Apr 1, 2022.

1. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Welcome to the grind :D (**edit by Gord**)

Today , 31 deg F in Naperville and Elk Grove
    Wind NW10.
    33.3 miles , fcd = 56.3 x .943 = 53.1 MPG.
    Got some light snow last night but no accumulation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2022
    Gord, litesong and BillLin like this.
  2. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Back home last night, 40°F:
    19.6 miles - 192 Wh/mi or 5.2 Mi/kWh

To mum's house last night to do some more clearing out:
    4.4 miles - 176 Wh/mi or 5.7 Mi/kWh
    Slow charge while we were there, 10.47 miles added in 1'1"
    4.4 miles - 286 Wh/mi or 3.5 Mi/kWh

To free charger this morning, went much earlier than normal (started charge at 05:39) and it was open! I needed to drop off some paperwork at the solicitor's this morning and my original intention was to park at the free charger near the solicitors and go for a walk there but it's only a 7kW so I could get more charge/miles at the 11kW so that's what I did - went for a 3.67-mile walk to a nearby village and back - took me 55 minutes, freezing 32°F:
    2.8 miles - 172 Wh/mi or 5.8 Mi/kWh
    Added 49.96 miles in 59"

Charger to solicitors, snowed on the way, 34°F:
    19.0 miles - 255 Wh/mi or 3.9 Mi/kWh

Solicitors to work:
    3.8 miles - 205 Wh/mi or 4.9 Mi/kWh

EdwinTheMagnificent and BillLin like this.
  3. litesong

litesong litesong

See…..I told ya……But, my days of fast walking are over. That’s why I’m so happy about the God-made Park Bench in the Wildlife area! Ha ha ha :)
    You had snow & freezing temperatures? We’re not freezing in the lowland, but predictions are for as much as 2 feet of snow in the mountains near Mt. Baker, Washington state………the mtn that holds the World Record for yearly snowfall.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  4. litesong

litesong litesong

Go to the Neowise Comet 2020 thread to get some info about the far galaxies in the 35 minute short exposure engineering photograph, that was primarily meant to ascertain the resolution of the James Webb telescope. Just that simple photo is already stirring the rich pot of astronomy discoveries.

5. litesong

litesong litesong

Snow has begun in the Cascades near Mt. Baker(actually all the Northern Cascade mtns & passes). Predictions continue that multiple feet of snow will fall into Tuesday. Temperatures in the mountains may go to 11degF. But 30 to 60MPH gusty winds could drive the Wind Chill to -15+ degF with possible thunderstorms.
    Good thing gas prices are high, so i won’t be tempted to go to the mountains.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 42 deg F in Lombard and Elk Grove.
    Wind SE8. Wet roads , drizzle.
    16.2 miles , fcd = 68.5*.943 = 64.6 MPG.

7. litesong

litesong litesong

Despite the snow in the Cascade Mtns, the lowlands are temporarily sunny & WARM. Went to the Wildlife area with the manual Elantra, thinking I would have a unexpected good time. Parking in the lot, I opened the door….or tried to open it. The wind was blowing about 25 or 30MPH & it seemed to be more than gusty…..like they said it would be! Was thinking about going home, because I didn’t want to walk under old trees in wind that could blow them down. But, I had Lucky binocular with me, & then the wind eased off. So Lucky & I chanced a walk. Between slower gusts, Lucky gave nice views of the flora. Not many birds were flying. Guess they had better sense than me, out in the wind. When the wind really slacked off, I entered the Woods. Surprisingly, the wind held down & I had a nice walk in the Woods. With the wind down, I could use the higher powers of Lucky to view the terrain. Yeah, Lucky was slightly dimmer than the 12X50’s, but as sharp as the 12X50’s. I sat on the God-made Park Bench & had a pleasant time. I didn’t dally tho, because the winds & clouding were increasing again. A bit later, Lucky showed me some of the airplanes that were flying, despite the winds. Towards the end of the Wood walk, I heard & then saw Canadian Geese, as they fought the gusts, looking for the safest haven they could find. I took the hint & went home too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , April 5 , it is 36 deg F in Naperville and 40
    in Elk Grove Village. Wind ( Lombard ) ENE5.
    33.2 miles , fcd = 61.2 x .943 = 57.7 MPG.

9. Gord

When did April happen lol.

Welcome to the grind :D

Back home Friday lunchtime, 45°F:
    19.8 miles - 214 Wh/mi or 4.7 Mi/kWh

To free charger to take our 6 month old Jack Russell puppy for a 2.3 mile walk and then do a bit of shopping, 45°F:
    2.8 miles - 103 Wh/mi or 9.7 Mi/kWh
    Added 52.82 miles in 1'2"
    2.8 miles - 274 Wh/mi or 3.6 Mi/kWh

Sunday, went to mum's house for more clearing out, 39°F:
    4.4 miles - 176 Wh/mi or 5.7 Mi/kWh
    Slow charge while I was there, 15.23 miles added in 1'25"
    To charity shop to donate a load of mum's stuff, first shop was full so went to another one further away:
    9.0 miles - 214 Wh/mi or 4.7 Mi/kWh
    2.5 miles - 272 Wh/mi or 3.7 Mi/kWh

To the pub, 3UP, for Sunday lunch, 48°F:
    1.3 miles - 144 Wh/mi or 6.9 Mi/kWh
    1.3 miles - 295 Wh/mi or 3.4 Mi/kWh

To work Monday, 46°F:
    19.6 miles - 217 Wh/mi or 4.6 Mi/kWh
    19.6 miles - 172 Wh/mi or 5.8 Mi/kWh

Home charge this morning, 23.32 miles added in 42" then went to free charger for a bit more, 50°F:
    2.8 miles - 139 Wh/mi or 7.2 Mi/kWh
    Added 22.85 miles in 27"
    Charger to work:
    19.2 miles - 221 Wh/mi or 4.5 Mi/kWh

BillLin likes this.
  10. litesong

litesong litesong

Forgot to mention yesterday, that Washington state Ferry Kaleetan had a hard docking at Coleman dock on the Salish Sea (Puget Sound) due to the high winds. Not only were wooden pilings broken, but the ferry sustained out-of-service damage, leading to its replacement by another ferry, for the one remaining secondary docking slip. A ferry docking accident in 2009 cost a third of a million dollars. We’ll see what costs are entailed in 2022.
    ///////
    4-l7-22:
    PS…..Correction:
    The Kaleetan ferry was NOT replaced. The 2 ferries servicing the Seattle-Bainbridge route was reduced to only 1 ferry.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  11. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Don't they "ground" ships/boats due to winds? Seems like someone didn't do their job.

litesong and Gord like this.
  12. litesong

litesong litesong

Ferry boats are no longer just for vacations. Tens of thousands of people commute to work by ferry now. Lots of pressure to “keep the ferries on schedule”. Puget Sound has more than its share of “ferry accidents”. As I stated, a replacement ferry took over, a secondary docking slip was opened, & “the schedule was started” again.
    When the ferries aren’t running, commuters have to take a one hundred twenty mile commute around the Puget Sound in really bad “stop&go&stop&stop” freeway traffic, that gets worse without the ferries.

I still remember one ferry boat ride we took(on vacation): taking off from the ferry dock & rounding the point of the island, we ran into a combination of wind & water tide that nearly stopped the ferry in place, altho it was chugging hard. It took about 20 minutes for the ferry to travel against the tide about 1 mile, till the tide eased off in the main channel. Yeah, that gave us extra time to enjoy the ferry ride. At times, they have to cancel the run till tides & winds change. Matter of fact, I think they stopped the ferry runs right after we left.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  13. litesong

litesong litesong

Between the winds & ferry docking accident, I didn’t mention how much snow the Cascade mountains got, after predictions of 2 feet of snow were made. In 48 hours, Mt. Baker got 4ft, 3 inches of snow.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2022
  14. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 49 deg F in Naperville and Elk Grove.
    Wind 11W ( Lombard ) Rain ALL the way there.
    33.2 miles , fcd = 59.3 x .943 = 55.9 MPG.

Gord, BillLin and litesong like this.
  15. litesong

litesong litesong

April happened on April 1…..April Fools’ Day……
    I figured you were playing an April Fools” joke, so I didn’t say anything. I should have known you were just being…….too busy with other things. :)

16. litesong

litesong litesong

Wow, after the wind, rain & snow, today is a beautiful day. So I had to go for a drive. First, east of Everett, one west bound stater muscled by cars, going in a hurry. On the tressel, east of Everett, traffic was stop&go. Went past a stalled vehicle on the tressel, as two lanes of traffic inched around him. No staters were around to help him. I found out the reason.
    Getting onto I-5, north of Everett within minutes, two more staters going north in a hurry, muscled by cars. First, I saw all three southbound lanes of I-5 were empty. Further north I saw lots of stater lights & again, no southbound moving traffic. The gawkers in the northbound lanes had the traffic at stop&go for 1 mile. Paying attention to the slow traffic around me, I did glance a Penske truck with terrible front-end damage. Then, our northbound traffic started speeding up & the accident was behind me.
    Later, I found out the Penske truck had a collision with a car & one person died & one injured. I know no other details.
    I tried to enjoy my drive & stop at a state park, but the fun was gone. The park was beautiful, but I didn’t overstay at the park & went home.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 41 deg F in Naperville , 40 in Elk Grove.
    Wind WSW 15.
    33.2 miles , fcd = 64.1 x .943 = 60.4 MPG.

Gord, litesong and BillLin like this.
  18. Gord

Back home last night, 53°F:
    19.6 miles - 182 Wh/mi or 5.5 Mi/kWh

Home charge this morning, 33.79 miles added in 1'1"

To work, heavy rain, 42°F:
    19.6 miles - 222 Wh/mi or 4.5 Mi/kWh :D

BillLin likes this.
  19. Gord

Back home last night, 47°F:
    20.2 miles - 191 Wh/mi or 5.2 Mi/kWh

Bigger home charge this morning - range was down to 100, 55.2 miles added in 1'39"
    To free charger for a bit more!, 34°F:
    2.8 miles - 173 Wh/mi or 5.8 Mi/kWh
    26.65 miles added in 33"

Charger to work, pretty cold 34°F:
    19.2 miles - 216 Wh/mi or 4.6 Mi/kWh

Range at 158 miles or 47%

BillLin likes this.
  20. Gord

[​IMG]

Regular is 50% higher than a year ago.
    Diesel has breached $5 with premium not far behind!

BillLin likes this.