BEV Charging Profiles

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Feb 23, 2022.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

A Charging Profile thread is probably useful going forward as that profile is a direct indication as to how long an individual would be parked at a given public high speed DCFC. Let me know your thoughts regarding the design of the charging profile and details within. And of course, any changes to make it even more understandable going forward.
    2021 Porsche Taycan w/ Battery Plus DCFC Charging Profile

[​IMG]
    5 - 80% on an Electrify America 350 KW DCFC took 18-minutes and 58-seconds.

[​IMG]
    Electrify America DCFC Display with charge complete.

[​IMG]
    The belle of the ball - the most beautiful girl at the dance. ;)

Initial conditions included the aforementioned 5% SOC and a battery temp of 91 degrees F.

These take a lot of time as I am pulling the time stamp from each 1 percent of SOC off of an internally recorded video, creating a spreadsheet from that data, and then the charging profile graph(s) with that discrete level of detail.

Wayne

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks , Wayne. These charging profiles could be very useful.
    Especially for a BEV that I could afford. :)

BillLin and xcel like this.
  3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That looks pretty good to me! If this is to give an idea on how long somebody would need to charge for, then it would also be good to see how much range is available from 5% to 80% as the SoC increases. That's a good amount of extra calculation, so you could maybe just add something in the chart title showing the estimated range at 100% SoC. Then if somebody wants to calculate how much charging time they will need to drive 100 miles, it's just some quick math for them.

BillLin, EdwinTheMagnificent and xcel like this.
  4. xcel

Hi Mike:

Thoughts on this?

[​IMG]

Wayne

seftonm and BillLin like this.
  5. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

That's really good, I like it!

BillLin and xcel like this.
  6. xcel

Hi All:

Latest iteration:

[​IMG]

What I am concerned with going forward is that many BEVs do not show the real time charging Rate and SOC within their central displays. I can pull this info from the Electrify America display vids but they flash into a splash screen about every minute or two and flash back to the rate and SOC screen. Meaning I am going to miss a lot of data points from any vid recorded of the same.

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  7. xcel

Hi All:

The Charging Profile is a direct indication as to how long an individual will be parked at a given public high speed DCFC.

2022 Audi GT RS w/ 21" Performance Summer Tires 5 to 80% Charging Profile

[​IMG]
    5 - 80% on an Electrify America 350 KW DCFC took 19-minutes and 17-seconds.

[​IMG]
    Electrify America DCFC Display with charge from 5 to 80% SOC complete. Damn focus anyway. ;)

[​IMG]
    19-minutes and 17-seconds.

[​IMG]
    Another beautiful ride. ;)

Initial conditions included an initial 5% SOC and ambient temp of 53 degrees F. The Audi does not provide any Charging Detail other than SOC (central display) on the driver or central display while attached to a high speed DCFC. While on a Level 2, the driver display does show the charging power (KW).

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  8. xcel

Hi All:

I pulled the details for this one from the Hyundai media sites vid of the Hyundai Ioniq 5 charging from 10 to 80% SOC in just under 19-minutes. 18-minutes and 55-seconds to be exact. When I pick one up for a review, I will perform the same but from 5% to keep them all on the same track.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The most interesting thing is that the Ioniq 5 is still charging above 120 KW from 69 to 80%. Many of the newer BEVs including the Toyota AWD bZ4X and Subaru AWD Solterra charge at a maximum of just 100 KW from the get go. I have seen one pic of an AWD bZ4X charging at just 24 KW at 62% SOC. Good god, what a mess those things are going to be compared to the Ioniq 5/EV6 contingent. :(

Another interesting aspect of this curve is how flat it is between the step changes. The Korean electrical engineers programming the BMS and charging input control should be very proud of themselves.

Wayne

BillLin and Janice Cooper like this.