Stress because of covid-19

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dorean Clarke, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Dorean Clarke

Dorean Clarke Well-Known Member

Adults have reported sleep disruptions and higher alcohol consumption. Since the pandemic began, two-thirds of Americans (67%) say they have slept less or more than they would like. A similar proportion of people said they got less (35%) or more (31%) sleep than they wanted. During the coronavirus pandemic, nearly one-quarter of adults1 (23 percent) reported drinking more alcohol to cope with their stress. This proportion jumps to more than half of adults (52%) who are parents with early elementary school-age children (5-7 years old). Adults' long-term stress, particularly the high levels of stress reported by Americans directly linked to the pandemic, is having a serious impact on their mental and physical health, including changes in weight, sleep, and alcohol consumption. What are your thoughts on this report? Well, it's true. More like I'm having a stressful life these days.

litesong likes this.
  2. booferama

booferama He who posts articles

Yes to disrupted sleep and weight gain. I only drink when I'm out with friends or visiting family, so my alcohol consumption is nil. What really stresses me out is a) people who won't get vaccinated because they're misinformed, b) the govt's failure to help get people vaccinated, and c) every institution going forward with work as if cases aren't rising.

litesong and Dorean Clarke like this.
  3. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

There is little point in getting stressed over the virus because stress weakens your immune system. I never worried about it and I got it anyway - back in January. A relative drove in from another state and visited, so my mom and sister and I gathered to see him. Well, he gave it to all of us. Including my 78 year old mom.

Fortunately, I had been taking my temperature once a day since Aug 2020 when I saw a Youtube video from a doctor I trust. She said take your temp every day. Get to know what's normal for you. If it goes up more than a degree, and you have any symptoms at all, go get tested. The night before I was going away on vacation, I took my temperature and it was about 1.2 over my normal range. I felt normal except for fatigue - I really didn't want to drive 150 miles to go away, I felt like I just wanted to go to bed. Canceled the vacation and went to bed. Next day, body aches - muscles/joints - like you did way too much physical work. A bit of a runny nose but not as bad as a head cold. I decided to make the appointment to get tested. By that night, no fever. Went to get tested the next day. No fever, no aches, no runny nose, felt absolutely fine. They swabbed me and called me 90 minutes later. Positive. So I told my boss at work and planned on working from home for two weeks. A blizzard hit and I was out shoveling two feet of snow - with "covid" - and helping the neighbors dig out too. When you get sick, exercise supercharges your immune system, so stick with it. Even plain walking has a great benefit.

My sister is a bit over a year older than I am, and my mom is in the covid crosshairs - age 70s and heading for 80. Sister's symptoms matched mine. Mom had a bit of a cough from it along with the aches/pains. We all shook it off in just under a week.
    I went to the blood center three weeks after testing positive and told them I had the virus. They were testing donor samples for antibodies to take convalescent plasma. When I went in early Jan '21, the antibody test came back "non-reactive". But in late Feb '21, two donations (they stopped testing for antibodies Mar 1) came back "reactive". Antibodies present. My mom and sister have since gotten their annual physicals and were tested for antibodies. Both positive.
    Back in June, I got the vaccine anyway because I planned to go to the NY Auto Show in August (since canceled) and figured they'd require the "vaccination" proof. The vaccine gave me a sore arm for a day for both first and second shots. Big whoop.

The worst part of the virus for me - you lose taste and smell. Not completely, but most of it. Chicken takes like nothing but with a weird undertaste of rotten eggs. Tuna has an odd metallic taste even when you don't buy the stuff in a can. You have to remember to eat because you lose interest when it tastes like you're eating cotton balls. Taste and smell came back fully after about two weeks.

The talk about "covid brain fog" is real, too. It lasted about two weeks for me. The overall effect is best described as how you feel when you're running on two hours of sleep, no matter how much you sleep.

My takeaway - Most people out there have already had the virus and don't know it. For a vast number of people, the symptoms are so mild, they think it's just a cold. Don't get me wrong - I know people who died from it, including two elderly people who Cuomo whacked by stuffing virus patients into nursing homes. Another of the victims was my friend's brother in law. A co-worker of mine had it (over a month before me so he didn't give it to me and I didn't give it to him) and he was in the hospital for three weeks with it. In my view, the virus seem to target some people and it really knocks them for a loop. But the large majority of people I know who had it - hundreds of people, in fact - stayed home for two weeks and then went back to life.

At your next medical visit, ask them to check you for covid antibodies. You may actually have them. And if you do, your chances of getting walloped by the virus plummet. The t-cells in your bone marrow remember the virus signature and whip up a new batch of antibodies whenever the virus invades.

Don't worry about things you can't control. Do what you can to mitigate the risk, and live life. It's too short to ruin it moving from one panic to the next. Stay away from "news" websites and TV channels that spin the number of "cases" to try to paralyze people. Remember that a "case" is just somebody who feels fine but was forced to get tested. They stay home for two weeks and go back to work. And they're fine.

In the meantime, my alcohol consumption went up briefly last month when the local B-R ice cream shop had Pineapple Coconut ice cream. So I'd get a thick shake made out of it and then go home and dump some rum in it to make a big frosty 50,000 calorie Pina Colada. It's a great stress test for the liver and pancreas - and I know they passed the test because I am still alive to type this. But it's not something I would do very often, because B-R ain't cheap, and I want to avoid the weight gain from unthrottled ice cream guzzling.

4. Dorean Clarke

RIGHT!, like most people who are afraid of the vaccines are those people who were misinformed.

5. Dorean Clarke

I have been surfing online and the amount of misinformation is outstanding!

6. Dorean Clarke

I think that this is a generational curse. We wouldn't get rid of this really soon.

RedylC94 likes this.
  7. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

... & astounding, too!

8. litesong

litesong litesong

It’s much deeper & further back in time than one’s fears or misinformation. Entire regional populations have been raised to NOT believe science AND their regions have not striven to have science in their cultures. That’s why strong education, colleges & Universities seem so far away to such beings. Because they are…..in distance, yes, but even further, seemingly like “foreign” concepts.
    To even put a racist edge to it…Don’t let them infiltrating ”foreigner” ideas into our perfection.