Week of March 13 to March 19 (Nat’l Avg $2.298)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :D

The national average gas price is staying pretty flat at $2.298 (-1.4¢ since last week) - this time last year it was $1.929 so it's 19.1% (+36.9¢) more expensive.
    Diesel is almost static (-0.1¢) at $2.520. It's now 22.6% (+46.4¢) more expensive than this time last year when had risen back above $2. Diesel is at a 9.7% premium to regular.

My turn to drive this week, getting brighter in a morning - might not be too long before dipped headlights aren't needed :cool:. Sunrise at my mid-Northern latitude is 06:52 today but it definitely wasn't completely dark when I got up at 05:30 - astonomical twilight I presume! I'm on a similar latitude to Labrador City.
    39°F, 6mph head/crosswind WSW, bit of a queue approaching traffic light section:

46.1 / 22.8

Tank up 0.9 at 43.0 (FCD 45.4) / 88.0 / Range 540 . Guess gauge F««««|««««E . UG up 0.8 at 44.8 / DTE517

BillLin likes this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

special-560x389 (1).jpg
    Can't catch a break... Jackpot!

3. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Well most of us in the USA underwent the dismal start of Daylights savings time so we sprung forward. I hate the changing for the clocks for no good reason. they should just knock this off and stay on this time. It was dark when I woke up this morning. sigh!

thanks for starting the thread Gord.

Friday:
    61.7 / 13.0 miles (49F NE@9)
    FCD = 56.6 (+0.3)

This morning with school drop off:
    50.5 / 13.0 miles (39F WNW@14 stiff head wind made worse, because it was cold = more dense air)
    FCD = 56.4 (-0.2)

tank:
    4.51 gals converted
    246.6 miles
    F___\**|*****E

Gord and BillLin like this.
  4. BillLin

I'm with you on that, though I don't care much which became permanent, daylight savings or not. Heck, I could run on GMT. Parts of Indiana that I frequented had no time shift. That was good. I hate living with obsolete things like time changes, and the Electoral College for instance. :D

Die2self and Gord like this.
  5. Die2self

Tru dat, BillLin.

Last night:
    55.2 / 12.9 miles (34F NWW@12)
    FCD = 56.3 (-0.1) Not sure why it was so bad, except for it being cold.

This morning with school drop off:
    48.6 / 13.0 miles (30F N@5)
    FCD = 56.1 (-0.2)

tank:
    5.01 gals converted
    272.4 miles
    F___*/*|*****E

6. Gord

Yesterday lunchtime bit the bullet and took car for puncture repair, only problem was a screw had gone through sidewall so new tire needed. Got $12.12 (£10) knocked off price asking for a discount for a net $83.59 (£69), no too bad! Had to leave it with them, abysmal mpg but very convenient being so close to work - oh well, got to be done:

19.9 / 0.8

Last night was a bit rubbish! A national rail strike meant very busy roads, made it detour #2 but then had multiple other detours up narrow country lanes with only passing places to avoid the worst. Car pooler's daughter had caught tram to work as her train had been cancelled so 3UP, 53°F, 6mph tailwind W:

38.9 / 22.3

This morning was great run until I got to traffic light section which knocked me back more than normal, 52°F, 12mph head/crosswind WSW:

45.5 / 22.5

Tank down 0.7 at 42.3 (FCD 44.7) / 133.5 / Range 485 . Guess gauge F_«««|««««E . UG down 0.8 at 44.0 / DTE462

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 15.5 deg F , wind NW7. 35.1 miles , 53.19 MPG. Yesterday's trip in was much worse , going through snow and stronger winds (46.5 MPG).
    Not going to the city this weekend, Kelly has other things to do. Instead , I'll be taking (Old)Kelly to see Sweeney Todd at the Paramount Theater in Aurora.

8. Gord

A saw the effects of Storm Stella on the news last night and only a week or so until spring :eek:

Last night a lorry had crashed into a building near work and the dual carriageway was down to one lane so went a completely different way to normal, turned out to be a pretty good route even with a big hill climb and too steep to avoid brakes going down, 2UP, 55°F, 7mph tailwind W:

41.9 / 22.5

This morning was another great run, perfect in-gear glide to slip road on the motorway and traffic light section was kinder to me, 48°F, 5mph head/crosswind SW:

48.7 / 22.5 Best commute in to work for over 5 months - FCD was showing 51.4

Tank up 0.6 at 42.9 (Indicated 45.3) / 178.5 / Range 440 . Guess gauge F_«««|««««E . UG up 0.6 at 44.6 / DTE424

BillLin likes this.
  9. Die2self

Wow Gord, I must have missed on the News of the highly localized heatwave in the UK ;):p
    last night:
    58.7 / 13.0 miles (33F NNE@9)
    FCD = 56.2 (+0.1)

this morning with school drop off and cold:
    47.5 / 13.1 miles (26F ENE@4)
    FCD = 55.8 (-0.4) :(

tank:
    5.50 gals converted
    298.2 miles
    F____*|*****E

10. BillLin

No good deed goes unpunished. :) (converting to Fahrenheit for us American dinosaurs)

Gord likes this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today 17.5 deg , wind WNW6. 35.1 miles , 56.92 MPG. No heatwave here !

12. Gord

Haven't done that for a while Jason whoops :p. I also have to covert my mpg's :rolleyes:

After last night's detour turned out to be a pretty good route if the motorway is moving, I took it again (I'll call it detour #6), 2UP, 58°F, 4mph tail/crosswind WSW:

41.7 / 22.6

This morning wasn't as good, about 5 stop/starts just to get to traffic light section then hit more reds than normal, 45°F, 11mph head/crosswind WSW:

46.6 / 22.9

Tank up 0.2 at 43.0 (FCD 45.4) / 224.0 / Range 385 . Guess gauge F__««|««««E . UG up 0.2 at 44.8 / DTE382

Lost second pip @ 217 miles

BillLin likes this.
  13. Die2self

curse you red lights.:mad: As for the temp conversions, maybe we should all use Kelvin. :p

Last night:
    59.7 / 12.9 miles (44F SSE@6)
    FCD = 55.9 (+0.1)

this morning with school drop off:
    50.0 / 13.0 miles (40F SE@7)
    FCD = 55.7 (-0.2)

tank:
    5.98 gals converted
    324.0 miles
    F_____\|*****E

BillLin and Gord like this.
  14. BillLin

I thought about that as I contemplated Edwin's "17.5 deg"... brrrr. Solid Nitrogen at 17.5 K! ... or balmy Celsius degrees. :)

I've always liked the crossover point of Celsius and Fahranheit at minus 40. Magic!

15. Gord

Motorway looked rubbish last night so back to shorter detour #2 which wasn't as bad as usual, 2UP, 55°F, 7mph tailwind W:

41.4 / 20.1

This morning, 40 to 43°F, 11mph head/crosswind WSW:

46.1 / 22.6

Tank up 0.1 at 43.1 (FCD 45.4) / 266.7 / Range 340 . Guess gauge F__««|««««E . UG up 0.2 at 45.0 / DTE342

BillLin likes this.
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

What , your thermometer doesn't read in 0.5 increments, lol ? It was 16 deg F at home and 19 deg F when I got to work , 35 miles later. I almost always type "F". If it was 17.5 deg Celsius , I wouldn't be posting , I'd be on the bike !

17. BillLin

:) I hadn't thought about that. I guess some do. I like to keep things straight for quicker future reference. Some context may not be immediately obvious months later. Many of these posts are read and 'liked' months or years later.

On another subject, do any of you take advantage of live traffic information? I suppose some nav units have it, but I mean something like Google maps with traffic turned on, or Waze. I have lately been getting accustomed to checking before leaving. You can see detail such as the ebb and flow of cars at traffic lights. I also plot routes on Google map using historical data along with the arrival or departure time to get a feel for possible delays at specific times of the day, useful for new destinations.

Gord likes this.
  18. Gord

Definitely Bill - I almost always check before leaving work (don't bother in a morning as we set off early). If I'm driving, car pooler will periodically check Google live traffic and we plan / change the route accordingly :). I do the same if it's his turn to drive.

BillLin likes this.
  19. Die2self

that would be 233 K (-40). 0C = 273K

there is usually the same amount of traffic on my off the beaten paths so there is no need to check for me.

last night: finally a decent temp but the head winds knocked my numbers down
    54.8 / 12.9 miles (65F S@17 gusting to 23)
    FCD = 55.7 (=)

this morning with school drop off:
    56.2 / 13.0 miles (61F SSW@14) help make up some numbers with the tail wind and warm start
    FCD = 55.7 (=)

tank:
    6.45 gals converted
    349.7 miles
    F_____|*****E

BillLin likes this.
  20. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

= 491°R

Some things, especially the ideal gas laws, would be easier to explain to the common riff-raff if they were more accustomed to using absolute temperatures, by whatever name.

BillLin likes this.