Week of January 23 to January 29 (Nat’l Avg $2.310)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :)

The national average gas price has dropped 3.3¢ to $2.310 - this time last year it was $1.837 (nearly the lowest since 2009) so it's a massive 25.7% (+47.3¢) more expensive! :eek:
    Diesel has dropped less than a cent (-0.9¢) at $2.521. It's now 20.1% (+42.3¢) more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at an increasing 9.1% premium to regular.

No driving for me this morning - car pooling :)

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I found a new gas station selling E0 premium! It's almost certainly not worth the price they're asking, but I think it's worth a few tanks of experimentation. :D

53.1 / 11.4 - to school and work this morning, 46F and clear and calm

Tank 51.3 / 545 mi
    F____|___/E

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

That gas station is probably hoping to sell to boaters or small engine users ( landscaping). Maybe those guys will pay the unreasonable price premium.

Today , 37.5 deg F , wind N9. 35.0 miles , 57.19 MPG. Tank is at 201.3 miles , 60.17 MPG. Our weekend heat wave helped me a LOT Saturday.

4. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Friday going home:
    57.2 / 12.9 miles (60F S@11)
    FCD = 51.7 (+0.2)

Great weekend after the rain moved out for a while. Got some yard work done and took down the Christmas lights before it started raining later in the afternoon again on Saturday.

this morning with school drop off:
    51.6 / 13.0 miles (37F NW@2)
    FCD = 51.6 (-0.1)

tank:
    9.54 gals converted
    491.3 miles
    F_____|____\*E

5. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 36 deg F , wind NW8. 35.0 miles , 58.49 MPG. Tank is at 270.8 miles , 59.8 MPG.

6. TheFordFamily

TheFordFamily Well-Known Member

Trying to seal my house up for the winter. I procrastinated a lot and it's costing me. Keep my house at 64 during the day when I'm home and drop it off at night. Gas was still $100 for one month!

Fuel Stats:
    62.1 miles / 31.6 MPG
    24.1 miles / 36.3 MPG
    Tank:
    166.2 miles / 31.92 MPG Calculated

7. PaleMelanesian

I hear you TFF. I'm running the numbers for a new central air/heat system. Currently only have central electric heat, and it's $$$! A heat pump would cut that in maybe half, but it's several thousand for a new system. :/

52 / 2.3 - work to grocery
    52.7 / 4.0 - grocery to home
    53 / 11.4 - school and work this morning.

Tank is +0.1 to 51.4 / 563 mi and E. The warning light came on at 550.
    F____|___/E

TheFordFamily likes this.
  8. TheFordFamily

I have a hydronic boiler system. It's the most efficient type of boiler for the time and it works great. It's mostly about sealing the house up. It's over 120 years old and most of the house has quite poor insulation. The problem isn't so much usage wise, but the cost of natural gas is going up to $3.88 per MCF this month!

9. EdwinTheMagnificent

I set the thermostat at 64 when I'm home ( actual 66 ) , and turn it down to 54 when I leave. House was built in 1988 , so it's fairly well-insulated. They did go kinda cheap on the windows , but they are all double-pane. I need to see what my gas bill was for December 2016 ( a very cold month ).

10. PaleMelanesian

Yeah, I only have electric service, no gas, so my best option is a good efficient heat pump. At my old house, going from an old heat pump to a new efficient one knocked a third off my electric bill. Leaving behind my straight electric heat should help even more.

11. Die2self

If you can get on a level plan payment it will help level out the summer and winter and keep your budget one monthly payment. We have that both for our Electric and Gas. Keeps from having to come up with a bunch of money when you might not have it. I love our Gas heat. However, if you don't have service, maybe a pellet furnace that is a stand alone small building might be an option for you, or if you are still all electric some solar panels to help offset the electric usage. Any passive heat options in Southern facing windows during the day?
    I also thought of you Pale when I watched this video last night of this guy who has replaced his battery with capacitors.

last night:
    60.0 / 12.9 miles (49F ESE@3) - I actually had to wear my sunglasses on the way home last night as the sun was still out and no clouds
    FCD = 51.8 (+0.2)

51.4 / 13.0 miles (42F SE@11)
    FCD = 51.8 (=)

tank:
    10.01 gals converted
    516.9 miles
    F_____|_____\E (should get the LFL warning light on the way home tonight.)

12. TheFordFamily

I only have one south-facing house and no west-facing! Perks? of living in a rowhouse. I've looked at a level billing plan, but that just means paying out the wazoo in the summer when I pay $30 a month to have basically no gas service at all. At least my electric is never this expensive!

13. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a level plan payment like many people in the UK and am currently paying $101/month for electricity and natural gas (central heating). Don't know how this compares to US prices....

14. EdwinTheMagnificent

I remember the sun. I don't see it very often , though. Today 36.5 deg F , wind E9. Wet roads. 35.0 miles , 56.08 MPG. Tank is at 340.3 miles , 59.24 MPG.
    ODO = 39185. I will probably do my last dealer oil change next Thursday at about 40,000 miles. After that , Edwin will be doing it.

15. PaleMelanesian

Busy at work today.

Brother in law is having car trouble and is currently borrowing the van, may swap for my car later until he can get his fixed. They are a single car family so a breakdown is a problem.

56.6 / 5.3 - home
    52.5 / 11.7 school and work

Tank 51.5 / 583 and on the lower half of the E mark.

16. Die2self

One car is only a problem unless you want to go somewhere, like work ;)

last night:
    60.5 / 12.9 miles (64F S@19 gusting to 30)
    FCD = 52.0 (+0.2)
    LFL came on at 527.1 miles

57.9 / 13.0 miles (36F W@9) more seasonable
    FCD = 52.1 (+0.1)

tank:
    10.42 gals converted
    542.7 miles
    F_____|_____E (needle is resting on the top of the E line.) I may stretch this out till Thursday night.

17. PaleMelanesian

I had to fill up. Jason, you're ahead of me.
    11.532 gal / 585 mi = 50.7 mpg
    (sg said 51.4, I adjusted it halfway between)

. 41.2 / 2.2 - to gas station
    . 61 / 3.3 - to feed store, add 200 lb (I'm feeding 26 chickens, 2 calves, 2 donkeys, 3 large dogs, and 9 sheep. They eat a lot of grass, but I supplement with more protein, especially in winter.)
    . 48.4 - back to work

Then an hour later:
    . 46.9 / 11.5 - to school and home, including creeping in the uphill pickup line
    . 70.2 / 5.2 - work :D

18. PaleMelanesian

Hey, I beat last January's tank of 48.8! I'll take that victory.

Die2self, Gord and BillLin like this.
  19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Last year at this time , I was still posting fcd numbers , but it does seem like I'm doing a LITTLE better now. Maybe only due to weather variations.
    Today , 35.0 deg F , wind WNW14. 35.0 miles , 57.29 MPG. Tank is at 408.7 miles , 59.05 MPG.

BillLin likes this.
  20. PaleMelanesian

No numbers. Brother in law is driving my car. Wife dropped me off at work and will pick me up later.