Week of December 12 to December 18 (Nat'l Avg price $2.212)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome back to the grind :)

The national average gas price has climbed 3.1¢ to $2.212 - it's now 19.7¢ more expensive than this time last year.
    Diesel is up 1.9¢ at $2.407. It's now 6.5¢ more expensive than this time last year. Diesel is at a reducing 9.7% premium to regular.

No commute for me this week - car pooling :)

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Unusually warm today, 57F. The pavement is still cold so it's all sweating.

53.6 / 11.7 - school and work

Tank 52.8 / 552 mi and nearly empty.
    F____|___/E

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Not so warm here. 24.5 deg F when I came in at 5:10 today. Wind W14. Roads mostly cleared of snow , but slush remains. 35.2 miles (detour to Redbox) , 56.08 MPG. Tank is at 367.1 miles , 55.8 MPG. It's easy to drive the Prius in the snow. When you are already attuned to accelerating at 20 HP , the tires NEVER spin. I don't think I've even awakened the traction control. Of course , ground clearance will be a limiting factor at times. Otherwise this thing is a SNOWMOBILE.

4. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Throw some snow/ice tires on there and you would be amazed at what you can do in front wheel drive car in snow and ice. They do take a hit on the MPG, but piece of mind increases. And you have to keep swapping them on and off. I found on my old 1993 nissian sentra it made a night and day difference in northern Minnesota/Wisconsin winters. As James has found they also do wonders for 2wd trucks. :0)

I was taken out on Friday for lunch for my 10 year anniversary were I work. so I didn't get to post.

Thursday night:
    48.7 / 13.2 miles (25F NW@7)
    FCD = 50.8 (-0.1)

Friday:
    School drop off and work
    50.3 / 13.1 miles (12F Calm with heavy frost, huge crystals it looked like snow)
    FCD = 50.2 (-0.6)
    home
    50.3 / 13.2 miles (31F SE@3)
    FCD = 50.2 (=)

This morning with school drop off at the street curb because of queue.
    45. / 13.1 miles (24F N@6)
    FCD = 49.8 (-0.4) down down down
    out to lunch as the cafeteria here was closed for their holiday lunch and I forgot to bring in something.
    49.7 /4.2 miles
    back
    45.3 / 4.8 miles
    FCD = 49.6 (-0.2)

tank:
    5.77 gals converted
    287.3 miles
    F_____\|*****E

5. PaleMelanesian

Congratulations Jason on 10 years. You must be doing something right. :p

Took my car to the inspection station just at the corner near work. Guy was out for lunch, so I got gas and then came back.

553 mi, 10.936 gal = 50.57 mpg. SG was saying 52.7, disappointing.

Then back to the station, got the inspection. Rolled down the hill to work a quarter mile. Brought the 0.1 mpg up to 10.6 mpg. Sigh, but it must be done.

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

All of my Civics were horrible in the snow. Every one of them. The light weight , fattish tires (on the Si) , and mostly the abrupt throttle response that makes folks feel so powerful , all contribute to a big fight for traction. The soft , gradual throttle response on the Prius ( normal mode) is really what all cars should have. They can call it "winter mode". Since all cars are drive-by-wire anyhow , it should be easy to do.
    Today , 19 deg F , wind NW7. 35.0 miles , 55.34 MPG. Tank is at 441.4 miles , 55.43 MPG. We're looking at some very cold temps here in the next few days. Brrrrr.

BillLin likes this.
  7. PaleMelanesian

49.3 / 5.3 - home. I misjudged some transitions, and was generally impatient. :eek:
    53.6 / 11.6 - school and work this foggy misty morning

Tank is up to 49 mpg / 20 mi.

8. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Whereas my '72 Subaru, with its skinny tires and very little weight on its non-driven wheels, would beat nearly any other front-engine 2wd car on slippery stuff, as long as it wasn't deep. Why do people assume light weight is a handicap, other things being equal? Obviously less mass=less absolute traction, but also proportionately less need for traction.

BillLin likes this.
  9. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

re: light weight with good traction

IIRC, a buddy's old VW Beetle with rear engine and skinny tires had tremendous traction.

10. EdwinTheMagnificent

I had a Corvair that had very good traction for acceleration in snow. However, with 63% of the weight on the rear end (just a guess) , it had a tendency to swap ends under power or suffer terminal understeer without power in a turn. Maybe the teenage driver had something to do with that. My car before that was also rear engine , rear-wheel-drive , but that seemed better-balanced. Now that I think of it, the Simca was never driven in snow. But it only had 50 HP , which makes it a really good car for teenagers.

RedylC94 and BillLin like this.
  11. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Or Ralph Nader was right after all! Just kidding...

12. Die2self

last night (about an 1 hour later than normal :()
    48.7 / 12.9 miles (38F SE@1, I headed the highway route because I was lazy and tired and wanted to just get home :oops:)
    FCD = 49.6 (=)

I have noticed that the check engine light is not flashing anymore. I guess it set all the emissions flags and I didn't even have to drive on the highway for 20 minutes. Go figure.

this morning with school drop off
    45.3 / 13.1 miles (35F N@7 with light fog and wet roads)
    FCD = 49.4 (-0.2)

tank:
    6.33 gals converted
    313.5 miles (at this rate I may not make it to 600 miles for the tank.)
    F_____|*****E

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

One time I had a girl passenger in the Corvair. Maybe even more than one time. But one of them asked me "Is this a Corvette?" You can guess what I told her !

14. RedylC94

RedylC94 Well-Known Member

Umm ... yeah, I still have a Corvette ---- a Schwinn Corvette, from 1960. Never had a GM one, or anything that anybody could possibly mistake for one.

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 3 deg in the boonies where I live , 7 here in Elk Grove where I work. So I report 5 deg F , wind SW9. Now you know how I get a point five in my temps ; it's an average. 35.0 miles , 54.22 MPG. Tank is at 510.7 miles , 55.24 MPG. Last pip started flashing at 508.6 miles, so I should get home easily. I might stop at pub to meet Amy , but plenty of fuel for that. From work to my Shell is about 30 miles. Tonight , it will get COLD.

BillLin likes this.
  16. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Awful journey for car pooler last night - glad I wasn't driving, even more detours, windy country lanes, etc than I had last Tuesday. 1 hour 20 minutes to go 20 miles. Didn't get back to normal route until 6 miles from home.

His said his mpg for the tank dropped from 26.0 to 23.6 and he's done 236 miles on a typical 390 miles full tank so if my crude math is correct he only got about 12mpg on that journey in his ex-police turbocharged Volvo S60 :eek:

17. PaleMelanesian

50.9 / 5.9 - home last night
    51.6 / 11.9 - this morning to school and work

Both are longer than normal because I went around the corner to check the fence. Diggy dog has been getting out, but there is no hole he dug. Found my clue this morning. Oil Service Truck at the well pump, left the gate open while working there. :mad: Despite my new sign on the gate "Keep Gate Closed."

Tank 50.2 / 37 mi.

18. Die2self

Reading on the job cost extra. :p

last night:
    50.2 / 13.2 miles (27F NNE@6)
    FCD = 49.4 (=)

this morning with school drop off
    46.4 / 13.1 miles (28F NE@3) These morning with cold temps are killing me. Even with an engine block heater on for several hours in the morning.
    FCD = 49.3 (-0.1)

tank:
    6.87 gals converted
    339.9 miles
    F_____|/*****E

Side note: picked up my grandmother at the regional airport last night a 10 PM from her flight from Dallas. It was nice to have heated seats in the Sonata :0)

19. EdwinTheMagnificent

Filled up yesterday on the way home from pub. Circle K/Shell , 1127 N Eola Rd Aurora. 545.9 miles / 9.915 gallons = 55.06 MPG. (fcd59.1) (sg53.2). Today , it was a bit nippy : -0.5 deg F , wind W11. 35.0 miles , 51.71 MPG. I needed some front defrost before getting on the highway just to be able to see safely. I never pull any heat from the engine until I'm on the highway and close to 190 F. Then I adjust the fan speed to keep coolant temp above 175. This keeps it warm enough inside the car. Don't you just love winter ?

20. PaleMelanesian

48.5 / 5.9 - home last night. Lost my 50 when I went to check the fence. Dog did try digging, so I patched it at zero-dark-thirty this morning.
    51.4 / 11.6 - school and work this morning.

Tank 50.3 / 55 mi. Still F+