Week of June 20 to June 26 (Nat'l Avg price $2.332)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Die2self, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

The national average gas price slides slightly this week, down 4.6¢ to $2.332 - it's now 46.3¢ cheaper than this time last year.
    Diesel is crept up 0.03¢ to $2.374 no longer cheaper than gas and 48.8¢ cheaper than this time last year.

Now is the time to make the most of the warm temps to lengthen those tanks for your PR's.

Gord likes this.
  2. Die2self

Fridays trip home:
    - 65.1 / 13.0 miles (95F - 106h.i., NNE@1)
    FCD - 60.8 (+0.2)

This morning:
    - 58.9 / 13.1 miles (74F S@10)
    FCD - 60.8 (=)

Tank:
    8.48 gals converted
    486.6 miles
    F_____|__>***E

Gord likes this.
  3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Thanks for starting this, Jason.

We had a garage sale this weekend at a friend's house. Used the van and trailer to move stuff there and back, and my car for people. It was HOT. But we sold some stuff so good.

48.2 / 6.9 - to the sale, 3 kids
    33.6 / 0.9 - after the sale, picking up the signs we put out
    37.5 / 7.0 - home, 3 kids, AC and mostly engine on to run it

This morning 61.5 / 5.9 to work

Tank is down a few ticks to 52.8 / 537 mi.
    F____|__==E

Gord likes this.
  4. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for starting thread Jason. I'll get back to posting soon. Dad's funeral is Thursday.

PaleMelanesian likes this.
  5. PaleMelanesian

Gord, I "like" your post because that's the closest to a Dislike this system has to offer.

Gord likes this.
  6. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

On vacation so no commute to work. But I did have to go to Kelly's to mow her lawn. 44.5 miles , 79.4(73.84) MPG. And when I say " mow her lawn " , I mean.......... I mowed her lawn.
    Her 20-yr-old son isn't going to do it. Tank is at 686.5 miles , 75.6(70.31) MPG. I may not drive until Thursday when Heather and I go to Lagunitas. Saturday = 22 bike miles. Sunday = 46 bike miles.
    This could be a record MPG tank. I don't get too excited about that , I just keep working on getting better.

Gord likes this.
  7. PaleMelanesian

54.1 / 7.2 - home. I detoured to check on the road work progress that has my normal shorter route closed. Heaps of dirt, no road to be seen.
    63.5 / 6.6 - work this morning

Tank is up 0.2 to 53.0 / 554 mi.
    F____|__==E

Gord likes this.
  8. Die2self

No problem Gord. Take it easy for awhile.

Edwin, I was about to say, "Man, this is a family show...." but you explained you "mowed her lawn." :D Wow, twenty years old and doesn't know how to work a mower across some grass??????o_O

last night: late from work again.
    - 64.3 / 13.0 miles (91F h.i of 98F SW@5) The water temp before starting the car at 5:45 PM was 100F :eek:
    FCD = 61.0 (+0.2)

this morning:
    - 57.3 / 13.1 miles (75F SW@10 with the starting water temp of 82F)
    FCD = 60.9 (-0.1)

tank:
    8.92 gals converted
    512.3 miles
    F_____|__v**E (right around 1/4 left)

Gord likes this.
  9. PaleMelanesian

Lunch errands, buying supplies for lunches at work. Hot 90F, but not unbearable (to me).

46.0 / 1.3
    43.8 / 0.6
    61.5 / 2.3

Tank steady at 53.0 / 559 mi.
    F____|__==E

Gord likes this.
  10. PaleMelanesian

57.0 / 5.9 - home
    64.3 / 5.8 - work

THEN...
    44.9 / 6.0 - home. Kids locked the keys in the car - both car and house keys. I rushed home to open things.
    59.0 / 5.7 - work again

Tank up to 53.1, then back down to 53.0 / 582 mi.
    F____|__/=E

Gord likes this.
  11. Die2self

with the push button start for the Sonata if the key fab is in the car it will not allow you to lock the doors with the engine off. It will just unlock them and ding at you. If you walk away and left the car in ACC mode and didn't turn it off, it will beep at you. I have had a few times where keys were locked in various other cars I have owned. The best (or worst time depending on how you look at it) one was when my wife was on a Frog calling survey team as a volunteer in Northern Wisconsin. It was Spring, raining and 10:30 PM when she called me stating that the wind closed her door on the car with her keys in it. Had to get out of bed, get dressed and then drive 20 minutes out in the middle of no where to try and find where she was and unlock the car. This was before Cell phones were in big use, so she didn't have one. She had to go to a house about 1/4 mile down the road to use their phone to call our house line. Ah the good ol' days.

last night:
    - 61.0 / 12.9 miles (92F - h.i.99F, SSW@12 for a head wind) Water temp started at 100F again.
    FCD = 61.0 (+0.1)

this morning:
    - 53.9 / 13.0 miles (80F - h.i.85F already, S@13)
    FCD = 61.0 (=)

tank:
    9.37 gals converted
    538.0 miles
    F_____|___>**E

Gord likes this.
  12. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Just this morning, I was telling myself repeatedly, "don't lock the key in the car!" I've been spoiled with the foolproof key fobs on the Prius and C-MAX. This Crosstrek has a simple key. Yes, I'm living the good old days. Today, you can just remotely lock/unlock some cars with your smartphone (don't lock THAT in the car) or with the connected services like GM's OnStar. I'm not going to spring for Subaru's enhanced STARLINK which seems like OnStar.

Gord likes this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Cn you believe it , Jason ? She has protected him from reality for two decades. When she and were a couple , I was frustrated because I wasn't allowed to be a father to him. His own father probably doesn't even know of his existence. She can not say no to her darling baby boy. Maybe she's hoping he never leaves. But not my problem.

No driving since Monday. Did go on a bike ride yesterday , 33.7 miles. Today , will fill up before Heather and I go into the city. Hoping for an 80 MPG(fcd) day , but we may see rain. This tank will be a bit under 700 miles , but perhaps a PR for MPG.

I too am glad to have the Smart Key system on the Prius. The key never leaves my pocket , so it cant get lost. And of course , it's (probably) impossible to lock the keys in the car.

14. PaleMelanesian

51.5 / 6.5 - home last night. 100Fwt, 93 ambient
    56.8 / 5.9 - work this morning. 80F

Tank steady at 53.1 / 595 mi. (Corrected onboard gauge suggests 56 mpg)
    F____|___=E

15. Die2self

last night:
    - 59.6 / 12.9 miles (95F h.i of 101F outside the car, and head wind of SSW@20 grrrr) water temp started at 100F
    FCD = 61.0 (=)

this morning
    - 56.0 / 13.0 miles (81F h.i of 86F and winds from SSW@13) water temp started at 86F
    FCD = 61.0 (=)

tank:
    9.82 gals converted
    563.5 miles
    F_____|___**E

16. PaleMelanesian

Gord - congratudolances on the Brexit vote. This will be interesting to see what comes next.

100F car temp leaving work, but less humid. I had the windows open and my elbow out, and life was good.
    52.6 / 5.9 - home
    53.9 / 6 - music practice
    52.6 / 6 - home
    65.8 / 5.9 - work this morning

Tank steady at 53.1 / 619 mi. Down to 1/8.
    F___|___=E

Gord likes this.
  17. EdwinTheMagnificent

Did you just make that word up , Andrew ? I s'pose Gord will forgive us for the horrible things we (Americans) have done to their language.
    Yesterday's trip into the city went well. When we got there , fcd = 86 for about 35 miles. Coming home , however , it was more like early rush hour with less room to glide. We ended up at 70.7 miles , 83.2(77.38) MPG. Not a bad trip , and the Lagunitas beer is excellent.

I did fill up before the trip , and I don't like the results. I had to use a different pump than normal . It clicked off at 9.259 gallons. 691.0 miles /9.259 = 74.74 MPG . But I refuse to believe that. Fcd was only 75-ish. I will admit it wasn't a bad tank. But if this is an improper fill , it will affect the next fill ,too.

18. Die2self

Well from the reaction of the stock markets, the sky is falling and all hope is lost :rolleyes:.

last night:
    67.9 / 12.9 miles (95F - h.i. of 104F With winds from SSW@10, even after 20 minutes of thunder storm showers is was still that hot, not even more humid blauck! :0|) water temp started at 101F.
    FCD = 61.1 (+0.1)

this morning and nice after more thunder storms wrung out some of the humidity in the air. A few branches were down in the neighborhood.
    53.4 / 13.0 miles (72F E@6 with some wet to damp roads.) WT started at 73F.
    FCD = 61.0 (-0.1)

tank:
    10.24 gals converted
    589.1 miles
    F_____|____>*E

last night SG showed 10 gals used and 576.2 miles so I guess it is close to a 57.6 MPG tank right now.

19. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Easy enough to treat the two fillups as one with perfect (or as close as your method can produce) accuracy. Right?

RedylC94 likes this.
  20. EdwinTheMagnificent

Yeah , I didn't think of that. :) I will post the average of this fill and the next. I do have some mandatory highway work on this tank , but I can minimize that.

BillLin likes this.