Week of January 11 to January 17, 2016 (Nat'l Avg price $1.965)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the grind :D

The national average gas price continues to fall largely due to an abundance of crude oil, it's down another 2.5¢ to $1.965.
    Gas is now only 17.4¢ lower than this time last year.
    Diesel is down 3.6¢ at $2.211, 80¢ lower than this time last year.
    Diesel is a reducing 12.5% higher than regular.

[​IMG]

Still no commute for me - car pooler owes me 3 more weeks commuting :)

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today 0 deg F at O'Hare ( close to where I work) and -2 deg F in Aurora ( where I live). According to Prius thermometer , it was a balmy +19 deg F in my garage. 34.4 miles , 53.0 * .93 = 49.29 MPG. Tank is at 447.1 miles , 59.3 * .93 = 55.15 MPG. When I got to work , we could open one building , but the other one's lock would not function.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

49 / 5.4 - home friday

56.3 / 2.0 - kids to youth group last night
    45.5 / 2.8 - to hardware store
    62.3 / 0.3 - across the street to grocery
    47.7 / 3.0 - back to get kids
    45.9 / 2.0 - home

49.2 / 17.4 - school and work this morning. Across town to school instead of the short hop to the bus, because science fair projects are big and awkward on a bus.

Tank -0.2 to 49.4 / 195.
    F_===|====E

4. PaleMelanesian

Lunch errands.

Took the car to get inspected. ?? mpg / ?? distance. Removed the Scangauge to eliminate any possible questions.
    41.2 / 2.0 - bank
    51.0 / 2.8 - grocery
    45.9 / 1.6 - back to work

Reported tank mpg -0.1 to 49.3 / 202 mi. Reality probably more like 49.0.
    F_===|====E

5. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Andrew, you have to get your kids to work on micro science projects not MACRO. HA HA.

Friday:
    - 52.0 / 13.0 miles (40F WNW@9)
    FCD = 51.4 (=)

Saturday scrapped, squeegeed snow/ice/water off the cars before it really froze on there as the temps dropped.

This morning*:
    - 50.3 / 13.1 miles (26F SSW@16)
    FCD = 51.4 (=)

Tank:
    9.20 gals converted
    462.8 miles
    F_____|____*E

* this morning I walk in the kitchen and here a fun rustling noise like something was in the vent. Nope, the discharge tube for the sump pump was frozen solid and the pump was trying to discharge from under the house. I thawed out the pipe and removed all the ice (had to have the wife get up early and take the youngest to school as I battled the issue). Then had to get under the house and the pump was in fountain mode. Pulled the plug and reconnected the pipes. There is connection that, thank goodness, had worked its way off because of the back pressure. I reattached and then had to clear out about 2 inches of clay/mud from the bottom of the basin that was washed in there from the fountain. Plugged back in and bam! Back in business. I have put a small hole where the water collects a little in the discharge tube to help water seep out and not clog the tube any more with ice. We had 9F Sunday morning and cold all day night, so not surprised. We normally don't have this happen to much as the tube is on a southern facing location and gets a lot of Sun even on the coldest days. And If we get cold like that we have some snow to insulate it from the cold. Always a good Monday to start off with being an hour late to work. :(

6. PaleMelanesian

Oh ugh Jason. :( I bet your fingers were frozen too!

7. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 13.5 deg F , wind WNW 21. Highway was clean but the 12-ish miles of local roads were snowy. 34.5 miles , 53.1 *.93 = 49.38 MPG. Filled up this morning with two pips left because it's going to be much colder by the time I leave work ( still snowing when I got here). 484.9miles / 8.819 gallons = 54.98 MPG. I do expect the next tank to be worse. I didn't note the fcd #. Scangauge read 54.3 for the tank , so it's a lot closer than Toyota fcd anyway. Jason , I know it's not a lot of fun to play with ice , hope your fingers are okay.

8. PaleMelanesian

50.6 / 5.4 - home, 45F
    47 / 8.5 - school and work, 32F and "furry" frost, and I didn't cover my car.

Tank down 0.1 to 49.2 / 216.
    F__==|====E

9. Die2self

I was wearing some gloves (the mechanic style gloves that fit well), but they were sticking occasionally to some of the metal around as they were a little damp. Better them than my skin.

last night:
    - 48.4 / 13.0 miles (39F SW@7) I didn't really put much effort into the drive just used a lot of CC set at 25-35 MPH.
    FCD - 51.4 (=)

this morning with school drop off:
    - 46.2 / 13.1 miles (29F calm with light frost)
    FCD = 51.3 (-0.1)

tank:
    9.75 gals converted
    489.4 miles
    F_____|____*E (may see the LFL come on during the trip home.)

10. Gord

Wow you guys are getting some low temps, we're forecast to go below 32°F for the first time this year tomorrow tonight - it's been exceptionally mild.

Well, this is turning into the lack of daily grind for me :p

Since 28th December I have driven exactly 0 miles in my car and only 43.7 miles this year in the Jazz/Fit.
    I've actually done 99.9 miles on my bike in 2016 so I've cycled more than double the miles I've driven :cool:

11. PaleMelanesian

That's great, Gord! Saving more fuel than all the rest of us, and in the worst weather of the year. :D

51.2 / 5.4 - home last night, 50F
    53.1 / 10.2 - to a school event
    53.8 / 10.8 - home
    48.4 / 8.4 - school and work this morning. Scraping frost and running the heat, at 39°F. :confused:

Tank +0.2 to 49.4 / 251 mi.
    F__==|====E

Gord likes this.
  12. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , -1 deg F at home , +1 deg F at work . Wind SW 5. 34.4 miles , 53.3 *.93 = 49.57 MPG. Tank is at 97.0 miles / 53.0 *.93 = 49.29 MP

13. EdwinTheMagnificent

Heat Wave ! 27 deg F this morning , wind S 5. 34.5 miles , 60.8 *.93 = 56.54 MPG. Tank is up to a whopping 55.0 *. 93 = 51.15 MPG and 167.3 miles. It could reach 40 deg here today and tomorrow.

Am I really the last poster of yesterday and the first of today ? I know Gord isn't driving to work for a while , but..

14. Gord

Just for you Edwin! Enjoy the heatwave :)

15. PaleMelanesian

Jason didn't post yesterday and I got in before you did, so... yes.

53.8 / 5.4 - home last night, 50F
    48.4 / 9.5 - 44F this morning to school, walmart air pump, work. WM has a hose running out the side of the shop from their compressor, free to use. I'm back to rolling on 60's.

Tank steady 49.4 / 266 mi.
    F___=|====E

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  16. EdwinTheMagnificent

I had my tires at 40 psi ( for snow) , and that wasn't extremely bad for glides at 35 deg , but when it is zero degrees , the glide was terrible. Checked one tire yesterday - 37 psi. I will air up tonight when I get home. Maybe just 45 psi. I'm still a bit uncomfortable running over sidewall ( these Yokohama rim-protectors are rated at 44 ) , but in the summer I will try 50.

17. Die2self

This was supposed to posted on 1/13/2015 but for some reason didn't post but stayed in my post window and was there when I signed in still.

Gord, make sure your battery will still turn over the car after the extended time of not running. Maybe hook it up to the battery minder before you need to use it ;)

last night:
    - 53.9 / 13.0 miles (34F WNW@5) with a little more effort and a little more light out before I had to turn the headlights on.
    FCD = 51.4 (+0.1)

- 50.5 / 13.2 miles (29F SE@5)
    FCD = 51.4 (=)

LFL light came on leaving the school this morning at 503.8 miles

tank:
    10.25 gals converted
    515.5 miles
    F_____|_____E (prob fill tomorrow after work)

18. PaleMelanesian

I made 2 improvements. 1: the tire pressure. 2: parked up at the top end of the parking lot. I exit out there anyway, and it's the uphill end. Saves 300 ft of driving, uphill, cold engine. At ~20 mpg for that stretch, that's 1-2 mpg for my whole trip, just by parking and walking.

Home for lunch. Upper 50's.
    61.8 / 5.3 home
    66.9 / 5.4 back

Tank is up to 49.9 / 277 mi.
    F___=|====E

19. Die2self

That is weird, when I signed in the post I thought I had posted yesterday was still pending. I know I was here yesterday and typed up a post. :confused:

last night:
    - 56.8 / 13.0 miles (52F WSW@6) made it home without headlights on. lots more Engine off P&G.
    FCD = 51.5 (+0.1)

- 53.1 / 13.1 miles (43F S@14) warmer so had some more P&G
    FCD = 51.6 (+0.1)

Supposed to be near 60F today here o_O Then drop tomorrow again.

Tank:
    10.65 gals converted
    541.4 miles
    F_____|_____E^ fill up tonight on the way home. try and finish strong tonight and keep it above 50 MPG!

20. PaleMelanesian

Yeah, I know you were here because you posted in another thread. Who knows.