Week of January 4 to January 10, 2016 (Nat'l Avg price $1.990)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the first full grind week of 2016 :D

The national average gas price has fallen further below $2 at $1.990 (-0.9¢).
    Gas is 21.9¢ lower than this time last year.
    Diesel is down 2.7¢ at $2.247, 86¢ lower than this time last year.
    Diesel is a reducing 12.9% higher than regular.

No driving for me - car pooler owes me 4 weeks commuting :D

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

35F and frosty this morning. I had to detour to drop off a water bill payment for the rental (my old) house - things slipped a bit during the break so it's too late to mail it.

School starts tomorrow.

45.9 mpg / 12 mi to work

Tank is at a beautiful (?) 48.2 / 79 mi.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Today , 24 deg F , wind WSW 4. 34.4 miles , 57.0 *.93 = 53.01 MPG. I didn't record tank numbers , but they aren't too pretty , either. I drove VERY little over the 3-day weekend , but I did about 22 miles of recreational driving Sunday. Got over 60 MPG then (fcd).

4. Die2self

Die2self Saving more by using less!

Welcome back Andrew.
    Gord, so he purchased another vehicle then?
    Thursday night:
    - 52.0 / 13.0 miles (33F WNW@7)
    FCD = 52.1 (=)

this morning (kids go back to school tomorrow as well here) - Forgot to plug in the EBH:oops:
    - 43.9 / 13.1 miles (28F NE@6 with some frost)
    FCD - 51.7 (-0.4)

tank:
    6.54 gals converted
    331.0 miles
    F_____|*****E (just under the 1/2 line now)

5. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

That's right Jason, his other car is still on his driveway as he hasn't managed to get rid of it yet.
    He's now got an '06 Volvo S60 T5 ex-police car so it's pretty powerful, updated suspension, engine, etc.
    I'm just glad it goes :rolleyes: :p

6. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 19.5 deg F , wind SSE 7. 34.4 miles , 59.9 *.93 = 55.7 MPG. Tank is at 143.3 miles , 59.6 * .93 = 55.43MPG.

7. PaleMelanesian

54.8 / 5.4 - home last night
    47.7 / 8.2 - school and work this morning. Frosty and 29°F.

Tank up a bit to 48.4 / 98 mi, still just above F.

8. Die2self

@Gord, I'm sure that vehicle hasn't be flogged much :rolleyes:.
    @PaleMelanesian , are you using P&G much in the mornings or just a steady state to get the engine to warm up more? Those are close to what I am getting.

last night:
    - 50.7 / 13.0 miles (32F ENE@6)
    FCD = 51.8 (+0.1)

this morning with school drop off and EBH plugged in
    - 46.9 / 13.1 miles (26F SE@9)
    FCD = 51.6 (-0.2)

tank:
    7.08 gals converted
    357.5 miles
    F_____|_****E (above 4/10)

9. PaleMelanesian

Jason, I'm using P&g, but engine on for the glide, until I can keep the windshield fully un-frosted. That's a couple miles down the road.

Home for lunch. Temps up to high 40's.
    48.9 / 5.4 there
    64.9 / 5.4 back to work

Tank us up to 49.0 / 109 mi, right on F.

10. PaleMelanesian

I finally completed a project I've been working on for a year and a half. I have parked in EVERY parking space at work. All 383 of them. I printed a satellite map of the lot and marked them off with a highlighter each day. Only one space per day, unless I leave the premises and then I can get another when I return.

* excluding handicap spots and reserved parking for other offices in the building.

:p A useless accomplishment, that I'm sure nobody else even thought to do, much less actually see it through. :D:rolleyes:

11. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today . 25.5 deg F , wind S 8. 34.4 miles , 59.9 * .93 = 55.7 MPG. Tank is at 211.5 miles , 59.5 *.93 = 55.3 MPG.

12. PaleMelanesian

49 / 5.4 - home
    51.2 / 8.4 - school and work. Warmer 39F so no frost to deal with.

Tank up 2 ticks to 49.2 / 122, right on F.

13. Die2self

That is some dedication Andrew. Well done in seeing it through. (Thumbs Up!)
    Now I know why our numbers are pretty close these days, as we are running the same techniques is looks like.

last night:
    - 53.5 / 13.0 miles (38F Variable@4) just a little bit more light at the end of the day so I have been trying to throw in a little more P&G with engine off without the lights on.
    FCD = 51.7 (+0.1)

this morning with school drop off:
    - 48.4 / 13.1 miles (33F ESE@6) with it spitting some sleet. I also forgot to plug in the EBH again :mad:. Distracted by covering the windshield for the possible freezing mix over night.
    FCD = 51.6 (-0.1)

tank:
    7.59 gals converted
    383.5 miles
    F_____|_****E

14. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

Hey guys, any idea when the garage is going to reopen?

15. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 34.5 deg F , wind SSE 6. 34.4 miles , 62.2 *.93 = 57.85 MPG. Tank is at 283.6 miles , 60.0 *.93 = 55.8 MPG. Could be worse.

16. PaleMelanesian

48.1 / 5.4 - home last night at 50F and light drizzle
    47.6 / 7.1 - this morning to school and work. Warm enough to go engine-off immediately, but headlights and poor route hurt me. 2 blocks from my house and I'm on a busy 2-lane 55 mph road, so 55 I go with a cold engine.

Tank steady (strange) at 49.2 / 137 mi.
    F_===|====E

17. schuylkill

schuylkill Well-Known Member

Reaching what temp do you consider safe for engine off?

18. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

In my experience, that is all temps. A better question would be at what temp is it safe to turn the engine on???

19. PaleMelanesian

I do it at any temperature, but if it's frosty out I have to run the engine to get it warm enough to defrost the windshield. Apart from that, I start full engine-off p&g while still in the driveway.

My old Civic made it to 200,000 miles with no engine trouble at all, with years of me applying this style of driving. Enough *other* little things were starting to be issues that I gave in and traded it, but the engine was still strong and still giving stupid-high mpg every day.

20. Die2self

Same here, if I don't have any visibility issues from the frost and I don't have to have the lights on, then it is straight to Engine off P&G. Then I try to have a steady state in highest gear possible (the idle will usually carry me along at 25-30 mph in 5th gear).
    Having an engine block heater helps to have the water temp in the engine setting at 100F when I start in the winter. I usually stop using the EBH when the over night temps are in the mid to upper 50's.

last night:
    - 50.4 / 13.0 miles (40F S@8) less P&G as it was cloudy and so was darker when I got out of work
    FCD = 51.6 (=)

this morning with school drop off (with line :()
    - 42.9 / 13.1 miles (44F SE@7 with light rain and wet roads - lights and wipers so very little P&G mainly SS, with lots of red lights :mad:)
    FCD = 51.3 (-0.3)

tank:
    8.16 gals converted
    410.2 miles
    F_____|___**E (about 1/4)