Op/Ed on Hypermiling from Baton Rouge, LA

Discussion in 'General' started by Chuck, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  2. BailOut

BailOut My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Safety concerns or not, that's still the least venomous and least sensational writeup on hypermiling that I have seen yet.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I'd characterize it as a positive on the whole.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Chuck:

___I will call this reporter on Monday. What is all this GH hypermiler stuff all about anyway?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Wayne,

My proofreading needs improvement. {blush}

6. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I would call it amused positive. The writer sounds like he'd be an interesting guy to talk to.

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

A Chance to Sound off on Their Next Article

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/NEWS01/70612025/1002

Find any tricks to save gas? You may be a 'hypermiler,' and our reporter wants to talk
    Bob Moser
    bmoser@theadvertiser.com

As gas creeps above $3 per gallon, consumers keep buying and keep driving as usual.

But more reports of self-proclaimed "hypermilers" are arising around the nation, and we want to meet any in Lafayette who fit the bill.

A "hypermiler" revels in the chance to do anything to save fuel and get the most from their gas tank. You may shift the car to neutral any chance you get on desolate roads while driving home from work. Or you know the optimal speed for gas mileage in your car, and drive that speed regardless of how fast others may be going. Some may plan their route to work to strategically avoid stop signs and lights -- the less you start and stop, the less gas you burn.

If you use any gas-saving techniques like this, or consider yourself akin to a "hypermiler," call or e-mail reporter Bob Moser at 337-371-3362, or bmoser@theadvertiser.com.

8. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

Re: A Chance to Sound off on Their Next Article

it sounds like he is looking for local people........

but i am amazed at what is going on all over...it's almost worth being raked over the coals on a daily basis :rolleyes:

9. xcel

Hi Laurie:

___You did great and don’t let the detractors get to you in the least! Look at all those you helped move towards a lower consumption lifestyle all with a half day behind the camera. The knuckle dragging 75 + mph drivers be d@mned :angry:

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. laurieaw

wayne, they have gotten to me so badly, that last night i drove home at 44MPH instead of 42.....:bananapowerslide:

11. xcel

Hi Laurie:

___I forgot, we talked about driving between the speed limits in the far right lane while RR being perfectly legal and safer vs. the 10 + mph above the limits in the middle and far left lanes. If I were you, I would drop the hammer down and bring her in at 40 mph the next time an SUV proctologist wants to play games in your lane vs. his or hers ... Just kidding of course :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. laurieaw

ROFL.....i've been going home later since i ride horse after work. i go the 2 lane backroads, and there's not much traffic at all....saying i dawdle would be generous. if i didn't have a hard 90 degree turn into the garage (which was built in 1918 and has no wiggle room, i already have a chip of white paint on the bumper), i could do the last 1/8 mile with the engine on auto stop. the DH used to think he was being funny saying he didn't hear me pull in......now it's true. :p