Neutral or no?

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by Bobayaga, Apr 5, 2014.

1. Bobayaga

Bobayaga '14 Ford Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Hi. Just bought a Fusion Titanium Hybrid (2014) and want to get the most out of it. Wondering whether coasting in neutral (vs. coasting in gear) is better or worse for hypermiling? Thanks.

2. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Yes, Neutral coasting can help you in your mileage goals, but it works different in a Hybrid. I use it to extend glides (because when you're in Neutral, the regenerative braking is off). However, the Fords love to DFCO, so you don't normally want to shift to Neutral while in DFCO, and actually start using fuel again. The best use of Neutral in the Fords is to use it while in electric mode to extend your glides. My recommendation is to use a Scangauge to aid you. This way you will know if DFCO is active, along with other system parameters.

3. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

A 2014 Titanium hybrid sounds nice (drool goes here) :D

4. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

As 08 Escape said, use N coast in EV mode only.. as soon as I did that, my tank avg. went up 3 mpgs... just drive the car and you will learn the most efficient way to drive it no matter what kind of traffic, road, weather conds.. etc nice car, have fun driving it... :):):)

5. vangonebuy

vangonebuy Well-Known Member

One additional note while N coasting.

Click it back into D before braking.
    To bank all the regen you can get....

DebbieKatz likes this.