Spare Tire Cover?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by Gageraid, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Gageraid

Gageraid Well-Known Member

Good day, everyone.
    On my vehicle, 2008 Jeep Liberty, the spare tire is located underneath the vehicle.
    I was curious if a spare tire cover would help mpg at all in my situation.
    My thoughts are that it might make it slightly more aerodynamic.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

If it was semi-rigid plastic ( not too thin) and shaped to fit the spare closely , and if it didn't affect ground clearance............ yes , it might help. Somehow , I think that cleaning up the aero on the bottom of the vehicle was not in Jeep's agenda. I imagine that the spare fits in a recess under the vehicle ? Hmmm......... on second thought , it doesn't need to be rigid at all , just a close fit.

3. Gageraid

How about I get a picture for ya for better advice? This is not mine, but a member on a Jeep forum that I'm an active member on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  4. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

IMHO, the underside of that vehicle pictured is such a mess, the spare tire is the least of your problems under there. I don't see any measurable difference resulting from covering the spare tire.

5. Gageraid

Lol you got that right. His vehicle is even better than mine. His has skid plates which I believe to be more aerodynamic than not having them.
    I know it'll never get great mileage, but I just want to improve and I'm willing to try anything I can afford.