Not new here, but a new car!

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by pumafeet10, Oct 4, 2013.

1. pumafeet10

pumafeet10 Well-Known Member

For the last 5 yrs or so I have been driving honda civics, averaging 60-62 mpg combined, not bad and was actually getting better and better but now the chapter with my 97 hx is over....

Now I have a 2006 honda accord se, 2.4l 4cyl, 5 spd auto, it was my late grandfathers car, I was lucky enough to inherit it. Only has 55k, so everything is in great shape

Already removed the spare and jack, put max psi In the tires and have my scan gauge 2 hooked up

It stinks that it's auto but hopefully in the near future that will change along with weight reduction and some of the same tweaks I used on the civics

Looking for any advice on driving an auto again that is much heavier sadly, but do love the car, so much nicer!

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Congratulations on the new (er) ride!

Neutral coasting all the time, FAS is fine in most cases as well. That's a year newer than Wayne's but the same generation.

3. pumafeet10

I was wondering about fas'ing but was reading the owners manual and it says it is best not to tow the vehicle farther then 50 miles at speeds below 35mph, which makes me wonder what I should do?

I know that it's a guideline, and that's like the sidewall max psi, I push that to the limit, but then again if Wayne did it then what am I worried about, also with planning the trans swap, I don't really care how long the trans lasts

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I think of it as a combined limit. If I'm FASing for less than 50 miles (!!!!) then I can push the 35 mph limit a bit.

5. pumafeet10

Any I was thinking I'm only going to fas'ing for a couple miles total at a time, with plenty of time for the trans to cool and what not