C-MAX Hybrid - 60 mph steady state MPG test

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by Paymaster, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Paymaster

Paymaster Well-Known Member

Good evening all. Wayne and I just took my C-MAX out for a 60 mph steady state drive. Thanks again Wayne for coming up. First, the conditions were bad in that we had a 15 mph or so headwind and our return trip with the tailwind was cut a little short by an accident on the freeway. The accident also kept us from doing any more tests.

The end result of the test is that we averaged 45.5 mpg indicated. This is not a calibrated result. My indicated results have typically been about 1 mpg or maybe a little more than 1 mpg over actual. He felt the wind was also about a 1 mpg offset the other way so all in all in good conditions we would have ended up around the 45.5 result we saw. He showed me what to do to calibrate the tank. As soon as I do I will post it.

He also did a maximum effort test which returned 91 mpg. That was with the strong tailwind but he also had 200+ lbs of extra cargo(me).

I will let him speak for himself but I don't think it was bad as he expected. Here are a couple pics.

[​IMG]
    This was the return trip

[​IMG]
    This was the whole trip after we filled up the tank. Sorry the pics are so big.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

And the final result?

I think this explains it all :)

[​IMG]

Wayne

3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Ohhh that makes you feel like you are doing your part.. it should play a short movie of baby deer and polar bears playing together

4. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

You make me laugh Herm ;)

5. xcel

Hi Herm:

Along with what FRV said:

:D :D :D

Wayne

6. Paymaster

Paymaster Well-Known Member

I calibrated the tank today. 12.47 gallons indicated vs 12.84 actual for a roughly 3% difference. The 45.5 mpg then above was actually 44.15 mpg. For the tank I went 553.5 miles for 43.11 mpg which is my best tank yet thanks to a little help from Wayne. That's with temps from the upper 20's to about 50.

7. rmcmast

rmcmast Well-Known Member

Congrats on that tank mpg. My best so far has been 44.9mpg and the last tank was 43.8mpg. That was with temps between 20 and 50 also. So far I don't seem to be taking too hard a hit with cooler temps.

8. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Whoa, it falls short of its EPA rated hwy mpg at a steady 60mph? I haven't heard of too many cars where that is the case.

Don't get me wrong. 45mpg is awesome. I could only wish for that kind of mpg at steady hwy speed.

9. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

how's the handling vs the prius II/ III?

10. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Even draggy trucks dont do that.

Something is off, there has to be some regen going on at that steady state cruise.. maybe we need to find a sweet spot for the computer to stop doing that, either going a bit slower or faster. Average speed in the EPA cycles is 48mph and perhaps Ford tuned the P&G algorithms and horoscopes to take advantage of that.

11. xcel

Hi Phil:

Regarding the C-MAX SEs ride and handling compared to the Prius II/III, do you remember the small child sized animal characters on the big spring that you could sit on and rock in all different directions? They are called spring riders. I did not know this until a minute ago either ;)

[​IMG]
    2009 Toyota Prius-II

[​IMG]
    2013 Ford C-MAX SE​

Does that help :D :D :D

Wayne

12. rhwinger

rhwinger Well-Known Member

I'll take a few MPG hit and go for some excitement! ;-)

13. lolder

lolder Well-Known Member

I think that headwinds cause about a 0.3 mpg hit for every 1.0 mph headwind in my 2010 FFH. A fifteen mph headwind costs over 4 mpg.

14. xcel

Hi Lolder:

When we do the stead state drives, it is in both directions and that is the way we tested the C-MAX hybrid into and with the wind. I do not complete a fuel consumption mean but a simple average, offset to the actual and apply the temperature compensation. In the case of the C-MAX hybrid, it appears its 60 mph steady state sits around 44.0 mpgUS actual in 70 degree temps. Not good but still far better than most.

Beating the Prius v? No.

Wayne

15. lolder

lolder Well-Known Member

My 2010 FFH does 45 mpg. at 50 mph and 60 d. F. At 60 mph. and 70 d. F. it will get 41 mpg. The gradients are + 0.2 mpg / d. F. and -0.6 mpg / mph.

16. xcel

Hi Lolder:

We posted the steady state results for the FFH back in 09 or 10 IIRC. It might take a while to look them up however. Give me a few and I will try and find them.

Wayne

17. xcel

18. lolder

lolder Well-Known Member

I've done my tests twice, once when new and just a few months ago. The route is level sea level road both ways no wind on CC with same beginning and end HVB charge and 38 psi with and without stable AC. The results at 45K miles are only about 1 mpg higher due to break in which is almost within the experimental error.
    I have a friend who drives his 2007 Prius like a maniac and gets 48 mpg. The Toyota computers over estimate the mpg about twice as much as the Fords. The Toyotas seem much less sensitive to driving style probably due to lower power /weight ratio. My since new mpg. is 40.6 corrected for odometer error, etc. My wife frequently does only about 35 mpg. as she pays little attention to good driving habits and is on and off the throttle continuously. I can P & G the FFH at 25-35 mph. speeds avoiding HVB current to over 74 mpg and can see how you guys got the 81 mpg. at 22 mph in the demo. My data chart extrapolates to about that. It looks from the numbers ( Cd, P/Wt, Wt., etc.) that the new Ford hybrids should get about 4 mpg better, not the 8 as claimed. We'll see.

19. xcel

Hi Lolder:

Actually it was much faster as each driver change took quite a few minutes but those runs through the gauntlet for media needs were a real SOB :(

Wayne

20. lolder

lolder Well-Known Member

But wasn't your 1400 + miles at an average of 22 mph? I guess your actual median speed was higher and the average moving speed was higher. Basically, without trying, you can drive the "Old" FFH in warmer temperatures for 16 1/2 HOURS at around 50 mph and 1 gal/hr. and still have a gallon left.