Living on $50 of Gas a Day

Discussion in 'General' started by Chuck, May 10, 2007.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

"GULPING GAS

Ken D---- is dwarfed by a yellow Hummer SUT as he pumps gas at a Shell station in Yardville yesterday. The vehicle's owner says his gas bill is $50 a day. Motorists can expect little relief."

from http://www.nj.com/times/pdf/thursday.pdf - bottom of front page.

Should we keep him in our thoughts along with the Kansas tornado survivors and Katrina victims?

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

Um, wow. :eek:

3. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

Who would have known that it would take only one person to thwart our efforts to reduce our dependance on foreign oil. Thanks a lot.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

But you are being insensitive - he "needs" to do this.

5. Sledge

Sledge I like owls with captions

$50 a day. $1,500 a month. $18,250 a year. Insane.

6. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

$1.84/day over here at $3.219/gal and commuting farther than I really would like. He must be a "special" kind of person to continue on like this.

7. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

He needs a swift kick in the butt! :Banane24:
    What's the rest of his story anyway? I don't see the rest of the article.

8. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

special. yup. stupidity and greed know no bounds.

9. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

WOW

Makes me want to go get another hemi car with a blower on it. And drive it every day to work. NOT!

10. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

he probably makes over 100G a year so he probably don't give two ****s.

i'm sure he's not that ignorant...

11. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I have to quit reading this. My blood pressure is about to go through the roof.:angry: $50 is almost as much as I spend in a whole month.

12. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___It is not the $50/day that bothers me as that is his business but the total disregard for our country and planet plus the waste of $50 worth of a slowly depleting natural resource that really ticks me off :angry:

___Good Luck

___Wayne

13. locutus

locutus MPG Centurion

:( And you're not even exaggerating.

$50 / day = ~16 gallons

Take an "average" driver at 15,000 miles a year = 1250 miles a month ~ 40 miles a day. Now put them in an "average" 25MPG vehicle, they're burning 1.6 gallons a day. Now turn them into a hypermiler getting 35MPG, they're saving ~0.4 gallons a day. So we could say this guy is offsetting the efforts of 40 hypermilers. :mad:

(The numbers are worse if you make the car 50MPG - 0.8 gallons vs a hypermiler at 70mpg - 0.6 gallons... now he's offsetting the efforts of 80 of us.)

This guy gets the "WTF" of the day from me.

14. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

So the question about this SUT Hummer guy in Jersey is....
    • Will car payment-sized gas bills get the message?
    • Will people laughing about impressing people with his Hummer get the message?
    • Is he go hopeless he will foreclose on his house and just live in his Hummer?....hey - he could save some gas! :D

15. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

i second that motion. heck, even with my 80+ mile daily commute, i don't use 16 gallons in a week. what a selfish moron.

16. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Save The Hummers

This is brilliant!!!!

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  17. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

You know actually, publicizing people like this on some kind of website “wall of shame” might be worthwhile. Not just people, but could also be businesses or companies that are visible and egregious polluters. Then you could buy carbon offsets to help counterbalance their effect. Kind of like when you send a donation to “adopt” a child in a third-world country. And then wouldn’t it be great if it was tax-deductible, just like a charitable donation.

18. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Better mention that the guy pumping gas is the attendant - it's against the law to pump your own gas in New Jersey.

19. c0da

c0da Well-Known Member

That's hilarious. There's actually a group called Save the Hummers? A small contribution of $1000? Cry me a river.

20. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Actually, I've heard various Save the Children paradoies when airline pilots are on strike or a pro jock is holding out for a huge sum of money.