Went for a test drive... came home an owner

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by zeroaxs, Oct 16, 2012.

1. zeroaxs

zeroaxs New Member

I brought home a new baby this weekend. And she doesn't eat anything, but she does have gas.

[​IMG]

I went this weekend to A.C. Collins Ford in Pasadena, TX, thinking that I was going to test drive a C-Max for my mom. I had seen on the internet that they had two in stock and wanted to be sure that I was able to get in one so I could give my Mom (who was away at a conference) a short review.

Well, I did, I got in one. And Bertha (that's the car's name) was so awesome, I just couldn't leave her at the dealership. They only had two at the dealership and both (including mine) went in under 24 hours from truck delivery to home delivery.

I picked up an SEL in White Platinum with the 302A option package that included the nav, upgraded stereo and rear "kick" hatch.

Other than a small issue with the hatch not wanting to open at a kick and sometimes getting "stuck," this car is AMAZING. Already, my average MPG is 33 and it climbs every time I get in the vehicle.

The stereo, coming from an upgraded unit in my last car (a Mazda 6 wagon) is very impressive. Perfect, no, but very good nevertheless. SYNC still needs work, as there is quite a bit of latency and sometimes it just ignores you (better computers to talk to, I suppose), but it, too, is pretty cool when it works.

2. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

Nice ride. There's a threshold in fuel economy that once crossed, going further yield smaller returns. At least on a gallon per year basis. Your Ford will give you lots of fuel saving bang for the buck. Congratulations.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on a fantastic purchase!!!

4. zeroaxs

zeroaxs New Member

Totally understood, but from the perspective that my last car got about 13 in the city, 25 on the freeway and I averaged about 19.5MPG, those climbing numbers mean more to me every time I see them. if I can even get CLOSE to the 47MPG mark, that'll mean ~60% less gas every pay period. WOOHOO! Diminishing returns be dam*ed.

5. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Congratulations!.. just follow some common sense hypermiling methods and you will get there.

6. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Congrats on your new purchase! My only hope is eventually they come out with a 4wd version, and it would be the perfect replacement for the FEH in their lineup.

7. rmcmast

rmcmast Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new C-Max! I picked one up 3 weeks ago from a dealer that had 2 on the lot and they sold both of them the same day.

I have the same option package and really like it. They put more options in the 302A than they do on the 2013 Escape which is nice. The only things I don't have are the panoramic sunroof and park assist.

I'm having the same issue with the kick open on the back hatch. Sometimes it sticks and does not open. I have had the dealer look at it once and they lubricated the hatch. It worked for a day or 2 but it's back to sticking again. I need to take it back in. Mine always does open with the pushbutton on the door.

You may want to look at this thread. There is quite a bit of info on how some of us early C-Max owners are faring with MPG:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45224

I'm not sure if I'll get it up to the 47mpg rating on the highway, but I still really like the car overall.

-- Rick

8. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Did A.C. Collins play up the fact that one of their dealer specialities are EVs ?

9. zeroaxs

zeroaxs New Member

Nope, not at all. It was kind of obvious considering the EV charging station and the four fully electric Focuses sitting just outside the main entrance.