Brought Home a New Ford C-Max SEL Today

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by rmcmast, Sep 23, 2012.

1. rmcmast

rmcmast Well-Known Member

Didn't see a separate C-Max forum, so I thought I'd post this here.

I brought home a new Ford C-Max SEL today! It's ruby red metallic with just about every option except for the panoramic sunroof and active park assist. My only trip so far is the 37 mile trip home from the dealer and I got 40.7mpg. This was starting with a lower charge in the HV battery and almost all highway driving.

We've had several Escapes before this including a 2007 Hybrid and a 2009 Hybrid. Unfortunately, I had a rollover accident in the 2009 back in June and it was totaled. I couldn't find a 2012 Escape Hybrid and ended up with a 2013 Escape SEL with the 1.6 Ecoboost. I really liked the 2013 redesign and the inside, but the really missed the hybrid. With about 3,000 miles on it I was running between 28 and 30mpg on the last few tanks.

The length of the C-max is shorter and less cargo space, but in the front really felt like the Escape and seems to have a little more headroom. Anyway, really liking so far and I'm now trying to sort through the FE displays available to see what works best.

-- Rick

2. rmcmast

I see I'm going to have to update my avatar pic! That's the old 2009 FEH.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Hybrid Lust!

Congratulations Rick.. post some family pictures with the new baby.

4. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Very nice , Rick. Looking forward to hearing about your experience with this car.

5. rmcmast

Hybrid lust is right. Like I said, I really liked the Escape, but the more I drove it the more I noticed I didn't connect with the car the same was as the FEL. Especially stopped at traffic lights. I'll post pics later.

What would be best forum to post any learnings or questions on the C-Max? "Other Hybrid Autos"?

Thanks,

Rick

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Up until an Admin creates a separate entry for the C-Max. I'm sure they'll get round to it. I expect it to sell reasonably well, given the Prius v's 3k+ each month.

7. rmcmast

We looked at the Prius v before buying the Escape. We drove one without the higher end nav/display and didn't really like it compared to the MyTouch. I would have had to go up to $35K to get what I wanted. My wife really didn't like the Prius. She wasn't comfortable in it.

I think Ford has a real price advantage with the C-Max. With incentives and x-plan I was at $29.2K with the C-Max.

8. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Is SYNC with myford touch just a newer sync or a whole new ballgame ?

9. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Go for the Ford Forum. I'm sure Wayne or Sean will spin off a new C-Max Forum. Congrats on your new ride.

10. rmcmast

I only have the SYNC from our 2009 FEH to compare it to, so I'd say its all new. Touch screen with 4 quadrants to control, Phone, Entertainment, Nav, or Climate controls. You can also control Nav, Environment, etc with voice commands. I didn't have the Nav in my 2009, so I don't know if it had voice controls or not.

-- Rick

11. rmcmast

A couple of observations from my 1st day, and then I'll move on to the Ford forum. This was a 30-35 mile trip running errands. I'm in a rural area north of Kansas City, Mo and have about 11 miles into town on 2 lane highways with rolling hills.

Gliding down hills in D had some charging and speed was bleeding off. I tried neutral which improves the glide but starts draining the battery significantly. This is the same as the 2009 FEH. I don't think gliding in N will be good for the C-Max.

EV does go up to 62-63mph and the engine kicks in right after. This is amazing compared to the 40mph I was used to.

The C-Max goes into EV very easily almost anytime you let off the accelerator. I had several stops in town and was able to do almost all in EV. It's wonderful to be able to turn on the car and have it go directly to EV. As long as the charge is good it's pretty easy to keep it in EV as you accelerate.

Anyway, I averaged 43.3mpg today, with the last 11 miles at 45.4. Tomorrow, my 1st drive into work. About 28 miles each way, almost all highway.

-- Rick

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  12. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I've moved this thread to the new Ford C-MAX Hybrid forum.

Congrats on your purchase and improving mileage! I look forward to future updates and PICTURES. ;)

13. rmcmast

Oh boy ... I have the first thread in the C-Max forum! Thanks Sean.

Pictures coming soon.

-- Rick

14. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Sounds really, really great, Rick. You mentioned the cargo capacity: if you get the chance, would you mind measuring the dimensions of the cargo floor? I'd be primarily interested in the fore-aft length, and min/max width of the load floor with the 2nd row up. There may be others who'd be interested in knowing other dimensions, like the hatch opening.

15. rmcmast

Here are some quick measurements:

Width with back seats up:
    40 1/2" Max, 36" Min (just behind the back seats)

Length front to back, seats up:
    31" Max, 28" Min

Length front to back, seats down: 58" (from the hatch to the top of top of the back seat)

Hatch opening:
    30 1/2" hight
    40" width max, 35" min

The hatch is measured from the top to the floor, just behind where the hatch closes. The floor is raised 4 inches and the back part opens with a small storage area. The raised floor is due to the HV battery which is in the cargo area (just behind the small storage area).

This raised floor may be why the C-Max Energi (plug in) has a smaller storage area (Sq Ft) on the Ford website. I don't remember the numbers, but I wonder if the floor is raised even more to make room for a higher capacity pack.

-- Rick

16. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Oh wow, that IS quite a smaller cargo cloor than an Escape. For comparison, our 2000 Golf has a cargo floor that's 30" long with a continuous width of 40", and that is smaller than many 5-door hatches. I'd been expecting the C-Max to be at least as large as the Prius liftback in this respect, when it is in fact smaller (though the cargo hold is no doubt taller).

17. rmcmast

I was a little surprised at how much smaller it was in the back. It defiantly is not a replacement for the FEH. it works out good for us though (just me and my wife, and occasionally our 2 basset hounds that can ride in the back, seats down).

18. rmcmast

Here is a couple of pics. One side view and one of the cargo area. You can see the raised floor in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. rmcmast

And the instrument panel:

[​IMG]

20. Prozac

Prozac Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be keeping the rubber side down and shiny side up?!? Great looking car!