Prius C Questions

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by jerryberkowitz, May 28, 2012.

1. jerryberkowitz

jerryberkowitz New Member

Does anyone know if there is an on/off switch for the cargo lamp in the prius c? The owners manual does not mention this feature. Also, does anyone have an actual picture of the lift point 's for this car. Again the manual has only a drawing.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to CleanMPG!

If you haven't already, I suggest you ask in the Prius c Forums at PriusChat.com.

But, please hang around to learn about getting the most mpg out of your c and any other cars you own. :)

3. Xringer

Xringer Older Member

I had not noticed that little cargo lamp. Just went outside to the dark garage and popped
    the hatch and, it was illuminated!
    Controlled by the hatch open mode I guess. If you are worried about night vision,
    there's always duct tape.. :)

The standard jack points are right where I expected to see them. (between the two little ^ cuts).
    Making me think about making a slot adapter that fits in the 'pocket' of my small floor jack.

http://www.stiblog.com/modifications/diy/diy-pinch-weld-adapter/

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

The prius (reg) has a small switch integrated into the light. Worth a look, might be similar.

I'm death on such lights, turn off everyone I can, and pull the plug on some I can't. Just don't like little suprises like dead 12 volts...

As far as the jacking points, again with my (reg) Prius experience, while the pairs of notches on the underside seam edge officially are the places to put safety stand cradles, I just don't trust the front points. The seam does not appear to be reinforced at all at those points, and the front one in particular looks over stressed. Plus I find when settling the front of the car onto the cradle, that near-knife-edge wants to kick-out.

I ended up using a main suspension beam instead, for the front, more solid, more stable.

5. GordonLightfoot

GordonLightfoot Active Member

The rear hatch light will go out to save the battery after 20 minutes of door open.
    GL

6. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

I'm gonna start at the end - the Prius C wins for bang for the buck IMO cause it's nimble & has the highest cleanest MPG possible (for a gas powered smog machine under $25 K) it’s small on the outside yet big on the inside
    You must be thinking (I would be) isn't this guy a blue oval fan if so why not a new Fusion hybrid or C-Max (see above for the answers)

Thats not to say I'm going to buy something this weekend, it will be later this year or early next but a Prius c is in the top three (with the 2014 Chevy Cruse ECO & Focus Ti hatchback , all about the same price but the c gets 53 not 2x MPG in the city (where most of my driving is done)

7. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

If you get the Prius C get ready for 60mpg+ easy! If you drive only city then 70mpg+ tanks are easy to get.

8. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

heck 50 MPG would be great (nothing but E 10 round here) but I use the HVAC as little as possible, really watch my tire PSI ((hope no problem with 5 or 10 PSI over)) ICE warms up quick so ...

9. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Just now I finished a drive 26.7 miles and my displayed showed 87.2mpg. I run 12 psi over factory pressure. I also had AC set to 80f.

This was city & hwy with traffic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Just for grins , what does Toyota say for tire pressure on the c , George ?

11. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Toyota has it at 32psi-F and 29psi-R. I'm at 44psi-F and 41psi-R. Max side wall is 51psi.

I love how it feels with this setup. Drives real solid and responsive. Afraid it will be to harsh at 51psi so didn't raise it anymore than this.

12. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Is the recommended PSI the same for 15s and 16s ?

13. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

I just checked the manual and it shows 35psi-F and 33psi-R for the 15" wheels, steel or alloy.

14. rfruth

rfruth Well-Known Member

Do you suspect the ground clearance is better with the 16s (more than 1/4 of an inch) or is it more of a ride quality / appearance thing ?

15. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

The C with factory 16" wheels would have a fraction lower ride over the 15"

Yes more for looks and handling. Ride quality will be firmer.

Very few dealers have the 16" wheels. They are rare.

16. Sunin

Sunin Well-Known Member

So does or why doesn't the Prius c come with low rolling resistance tires? I could not locate any indication on the tire they are lrr. Update: did some research and the Bridgestone Turanza EL is a lrr

Also, why have we not seem some trips in the 60's and 70's. My trip from dealer 83 temp part highway part stop and go I averaged 69.3 tires were at 35psi, this morn into work from cold start, 68 degrees and 6.1 miles of hilly terrain I averaged 86.8mph , tires were at 44psi. When cold it was looking like 40's then it went Eco and mileage shot up dramatically. Mostly 30 mph with some 40 and a long stretch of 45. Have photos of both and will take one after the round trip and post em.

Side note for those saying stay out of ev mode I am not sure u have driven this car yet. It is not like my Honda insight 2006. That is true for it, but this new one drains the battery somewhat faster, but it also recharges faster. Generally u can get near full with a good long coasting stop even when the battery is below half.

Just try diff techniques to see what works. I stay ev until 35 then do some pulse and charges as I'm going and a good long stop and it's ready for another ev run

2013 Prius c two magnetic grey with 30% tint looks pretty sharp for a hybrid

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  17. priusCpilot

priusCpilot George

Yea no one makes LLR for the 16" wheels on the C?

I hope when I change them, more options are available?

I have noticed what you mentioned on the C as well? I have never tried driving like you suggest? Let me try it on a tank and see?

18. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

If you want even higher mpg, then do less pulsing and less regen. Best mpg is when you avoid conversion losses going from momentum (kinetic) energy to battery storage and back to kinetic. You are doing great, and no one can drive optimally all the time, but conversion losses are real and sometimes avoidable.

19. Sunin

Sunin Well-Known Member

Yeah it is really night and day from my 2006, on the Honda u actually saw ur mpg drop if u did not accelerate a set amount. Ie getting to speed too slowly! This car seems to enjoy a slower start and rewards u with mpg goodness

20. Sunin

Sunin Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what I would do in my Honda 2006. I have another thread that I will update with trips and such and I utilized your suggestion on this run more and still got reasonable results. I have yet to get to that golden moment when the car is fully charged and the pulse glide (without neutral) really works well. The Honda when fully charged does a great job of slowly bleeding off speed. I figure maybe in a week I will see fully charged with the Prius C. I assume the Prius C does not have, at least on this model, a mean of electrical recharge from an outlet. I did not see it in my research at least.