Aero Mod

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by GaryG, Sep 28, 2011.

1. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about a aero mod for my '09 FEH that is used on my '11 Explorer. Ford join Lexus and BMW SUV's with a rear extension of the roof past the rear window tailgate. It seems to reduce the rear wind drag or suction on the Explorer and increases MPG.

I can use a light weight wood and follow the designs of these rear spoilers and see if it reduces wind drag and increases MPG. It can be attached with silicone and not damage the paint or metal I think. Any thoughts?

GaryG

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I wouldn't attach anything that heavy with silicone. You might get away with it if you shape it out of foam. The key is it has to be light enough not to damage a hood or windshield when (not if) it comes off at highway speed.

3. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

Foam would be the way to go! Does not take much for improvement FE. Look at the HCH2 spoiler! What is it ,1/2" high. H

4. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Ford already offers this as an accessory. Part # is 8L8Z78500K16AA and it lists for $295 paint to match. Guess Ford didn't deem the FE increase worth the expense. The little air deflectors on the rear wheel wells are $20, so better bang for the buck.
    Silver State Ford has this for $243.26 so I may give it a go since my commute is mostly freeway now.

OOPS - guess this is for 2008 and up - don't know if it would fit the first gen FEH - don't want to buy and find out no...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011