Battery re-cal while on the freeway

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by CarlD, Sep 8, 2011.

1. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

First time I can ever remember a battery re-calibration event happening when driving on the freeway. Took most of the 18 mile 65mph commute to reach 90.3% SoC. Trashed my mileage as I usually get about 38 mpg on the freeway. Will be interesting to see what the SoC is after being in the parking garage all day starting with a battery temp of 93.2F. The 80% SoC will probably be burned away pretty quickly when I go back home in the evening.

[​IMG]

2. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

I have never seen a battery re-cal during highway driving either :confused:

So every time that I have stopped with 80+ SoC then I was not able to go back into EV on the return trip, even when the SoC gets below 52%. How was your return trip?

3. SD3_Driver

SD3_Driver Well-Known Member

80 SoC....!!!!! wow, i only see that on a long coast downhill... (FFH)

4. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Battery temp was 104F when I started home for the evening. No EV due to the temp, and the SoC was burned off down to 53.0% in a couple of miles. This gave me pretty good MPG heading onto the freeway and I was able to get 38+ MPG on the trip home. A freeway re-cal is definitely better than one that occurs during city driving. Need to figure out how to tell when one is coming....

5. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

Mine seem to occur on those rare occasions when I go over 56% SoC. I normally don't do that because I use LGA and it will spin the ICE at ~54%, but if I am braking instead, I sometimes get over 55% and appears to go into re-cal if I go over that. I never see 56% without the re-cal. I haven't seen any other pattern to it than that.

80% SoC is within the normal range for the FFH? That is awesome! I only get 40-52% as a normal operating range.

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carl:

It has been a long time since I have been behind the wheel of an FEH but doesn’t the battery mimic move to a solid green background when it reaches something like 72% or so? For some reason, that 72% is banging around in my head before heading to 80% actual SoC but it could have been in another vehicle?

Wayne

7. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

On the lame 1st gen nav units, the green bar seems to stop once it touches the bottom of the + on the icon. I think this happens at 60% SoC, but you can see in the pic that it is there with SoC at 80.1%. Funny thing is that I had a re-cal in the winter once and was able to drive 3.8 miles in EV down to 40% SoC. Even with the 3.8 miles of EV my overall MPG for the day was not that great because the re-cal happened in traffic and I think the MPG was down into the mid 20's before the re-cal was done.

8. 08EscapeHybrid

08EscapeHybrid Moderator

Good thing I just read this thread the other day. I filled up the tank today, and I was doing 45 MPG in running my errands today, then I noticed that the vehicle was not going into EV when I knew it should have. I FS'ed, double tapped, shifted to L, nothing worked. When I noticed the SoC over 60%, I knew what was going on. Knowing what was happening, and driving in urban traffic, I shifted to L and coasted to each traffic light. I had the battery up to 85% SoC within 5 minutes, and was able to resume my normal driving somewhat quickly. It brought my tank average from 45 MPG to 35 MPG though. :(

EDIT: I also ran the a/c as I heard the cooling fan for the battery pack running in the back.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011