09 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen with a stick – Review Blog 05-27 to 06-03

Discussion in 'Diesel powered automobiles' started by xcel, May 18, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___I just received confirmation that we will be receiving the 09 Jetta TDI Sportwagen with a stick in less than 10-days. Current plans are for Ken (Slow Hands) and I to drive from Chicago to Cincinnati to pick up Jud (Bestmapman), drive over to Columbia, SC to pick up both Kacey (Kacey) and possibly Tim (Brick), drive up to Morresville, NC to pick up Dale (Drimportracing) and head over to review three EV Innovations BEV’s all-day on Friday the 29th. Saturday afternoon, we break up and head our separate ways...

___If the EV Innovations Review(s) fall through, I will probably drive from Chicago to NY City and pick up a BMW 650 Dual-Sport for the weekend. I will see if Ricardo wants to drive the TDI for a bit and try to convince Harry that he needs to ride whatever BMW bike he wants for a long weekend ride ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. xcel

Hi All:

___EV Innovations got back to me again and said they are working on getting the three BEVs setup and ready for the 29th. The CEO still needs to speak with his brother who is the lead engineer to verify everything is a go before we head that way.

___It looks like the Jetta TDI Sportwagen is doing a single tank of fuel from Chicago to the Atlantic but its first stop will be Columbus, SC instead of NY City :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

D'oh! I was hoping to be able to take a trip down an meet you guys for the EV Innovations visit. It looks like I'll have to miss that though. Enjoy the TDI, the BEV's, and the company.

4. xcel

Hi Michael:

___EV Innovations has allotted the BEVs to us on Friday the 29th of May so this is a go regarding the Chicago to SC, back to NC, back to SC and Back to Chicago -- 2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen - Cross Continent Review.

___We will be at EV Innovations for most of the day on Friday and a few hours in the morning on Saturday. It would be my hope that you can join us and feel free to hop on down even at the last minute if you are free.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. Skwyre7

I get back from a trip on the 28th, and have to work the morning of the 29th. I'll run this by DW to see if she'll let me, but I doubt it. ;)

6. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

Awesome, and yet a bust! I was kind of hoping for the Chicago to NYC, and was going to extend an invite to my area - I'm right off of I-80; regular territory is exit 232 (Buckhorn) to exit 256 (Nescopeck/Conyngham).
    I hope the BEVs show lots of potential! Good luck on the drive!

Do you think the TDI will give you any setup difficulties as far as connecting your SGII?

7. xcel

Hi Nevyn:

___I do not think connection will be an issue but like all diesel's, the variable A/F ratios cannot be taken into account from the ScanGauge (they can be averaged in) so I will be using an SG-II to display LOD, IGN, Boost and Coolant temps.

___Although I do not know the complete specs of the Jetta TDI Sportwagen that is yet to arrive (I should call STI for the Monroney before it does), it will have an OEM i and aFCD whcih will help in that regard.

___Having three and than 4-200 + pound men in the car is not going to help the FE but 65 mpg is my goal although 60 mpg is more than likely what will be Achieved :(

___I am in the early planning stages of a trip to NY City for late June/early July and possibly in a 2010 Toyota Prius-III to knock out its full review. I will than attempt to pick up a BMW G 650 Xcountry or G 650 GS Dual-Sport bike and take a ride with Harry (Earthling) as he takes out a brand new R 1200 RT for the weekend. If you ride, you would be most certainly welcome to join us for those reviews as well! Even if you do not, take the 2010 Prius for a ride with us ;) Ricardo (JusBringIt) will probably be along for that drive as well?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. Nevyn

Nevyn Well-Known Member

I used to ride. Now, because of family concerns, I don't.

My helmet mocks me from the shelf....

*EDIT* Let me rephrase that. I no longer OWN a motorcycle, which prevents me from riding. I still can and would ride.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  9. xcel

Hi Nevyn:

___I completely understand...

___Michael, can you make it down as we have plenty of space in a number of "hot" BEVs :)

___Some news... Mike Sefton is coming down from Canada for the review(s) of both the Jetta TDI Sportwagen and the (3) EV Innovation BEV's that are being prepped in NC for our arrival on May 29th.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. Skwyre7

It's a 5 hour drive, but I'm willing if the wife lets me. What time would I need to be there? That will also determine if I can swing it.

11. Skwyre7

Somehow I convinced the wife to let me drive 10 hours (round trip) to see some EV's for a few hours. :D I'll see you all on Friday!

12. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Excellent! It will be nice to meet you. I know you'll enjoy the people and the cars - maybe you'll get to 'experience' part of a Wayne clinic ;)

13. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

A Wayne clinic..... LMAO

hehehehe

14. xcel

Hi Michael:

___This is really good news and thank you for taking the time!

___Psy needs another clinic :D

___As it stands, the VW is scheduled to arrive in just a few hours, I will be prepping it for the Review and trip, pick up Mike about 02:30 PM from O'Hare, drive and post some stuff all evening, get a good night rest and about 04:30 AM, head out to pick up Ken in Chicago. Top off the Jetta TDI and begin the trek to Jud's near Cincinnati. From there, we head to Kacey's in Columbia, SC for the night. Early Friday morning, we all head to Mooresville, NC and meet with Dale and Michael for the BEV testing and reviews, head back to Kacey's for the night to hopefully catch up with Brick (Tim) for dinner. The next morning, we head back to EV Innovations for the final tally’s on Electricity used and head back to Jud's. Back to Chicago on Sunday morning and top it off again to see what the mighty Jetta TDI Sportwagen is really worth when driving 4 + gear across the country :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

15. Skwyre7

I'd love a Wayne clinic!

Don't thank me, thank my wife for letting me come. :D:D:D

16. xcel

Hi All:

___It’s here, it’s here :)

___Mike called about 3-minutes after the SportWagen arrived to get some Customs information knocked out before he boarded the plane for Chicago so he should be here in another 2.5 hours.

___The VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen is a fully loaded vehicle with NAVI and the works. I have to prep it and take it out for a quick ride to have a look before heading to O’Hare to pick up Mike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

___And Michael, thank your wife from all of us :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. Skwyre7

It's a beauty!

Will do. ;)

18. xcel

Hi All:

___First segment to my parents home.

[​IMG]

___NAVI is missing a disc so I have a call in to see if they have another or the original.

___Pulling big numbers is going to be a B***h :(

___Mike's Flight is delayed so I took it over to the parents for a few minutes...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

19. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

That line, next to a 71.8 mpg display = wayne all the way.

20. Skwyre7

I was thinking the same thing.