ECU tuning boxes - snake oil?

Discussion in 'Diesel powered automobiles' started by Eddles, May 1, 2009.

1. Eddles

Eddles Well-Known Member

Does ECU tuning boxes for diesels like this actually work and decrease FE, or is it snake oil? It's a bit pricey at $500 for my engine.

2. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

There's at least one thing that tuners can do that will really help FE, power, and torque:
    advance the timing.

Advancing the timing gives those benefits at a cost though - higher temps, higher peak cylinder pressures, and GOBS AND GOBS more NOx. I don't know real numbers, but I might guesstimate up to 5% FE gain available at the expense of 10x-100x more NOx. That's why auto manufacturers can't use this trick - they'd never meet emissions. Technically, it's probably against the law to change timing in the aftermarket, though I don't think it's enforced very much yet. I'd expect all that to change sooner or later.

I've also heard of people changing camshafts in certain year Dodge pickups to gain FE & power. This is another trick that really does work, but does so by ignoring emissions regulations.

3. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

I know several guys who use them in pickups that pull construction equipment and they swear by them. Be warned though that the same guys tend to complain about the engine trouble that they are having.