Mazda backflips on diesel strategy – hybrid and electric vehicles coming in 2015

Discussion in 'Mazda' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] Despite the shift in strategy, petrol and diesel engines will still play a large role in the company.

[XFLOAT=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/mazda3.jpg[/XFLOAT]Viknesh Vijayenthiran - MotorAuthority - April 13, 2009

Hm. That didn't take long. --Ed.

Just a few weeks ago, Mazda was adamant that diesel engines would be enough to satisfy its needs for more fuel-efficient cars - but now, in a major shift in strategy, the carmaker will be embracing hybrids and electric powertrains in the coming years.

The change in heart was revealed by Mazda's CEO Takashi Yamanouchi last week at the New York Auto Show. Speaking with Automotive News, Yamanouchi confirmed that Mazda will have hybrid and electric powertrains in its lineup by 2015, although the company will still be focusing on improving the efficiency of both its diesel and petrol engines.

Furthermore, Yamanouchi was confident enough to state that Mazda's next-generation of petrol engines will achieve the same fuel-economy as current diesels, and that its diesels will achieve the same fuel economy as existing hybrids.

Interestingly, despite the fact that Ford owns... [RM]http://www.motorauthority.com/mazda-backflips-on-diesel-strategy-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles-coming-in-2015.html[/RM]

2. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Similar to a hypermiling kind of approach. Squeeze all you can out of the existing so that you have all the gains at the basic level before proceeding to the next.

If they can up the fuel economy which I don't see happening very soon, then that wont be too bad. Their line-up currently reeks as far as efficient vehicles are concerned. They just redid their line-up and I'm having a hard time believing they'll be changing again before the next couple years.

3. chibougamoo

chibougamoo Well-Known Member

Zoom - (raspberry) - zoom that!

4. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Good!

Maybe some Zoom Zoom with above ave. mpg. Now if I could just Zoom Zoom with RWD. :)

5. Harold

Harold Well-Known Member

They don't have Ford dragging them down anymore! Hal

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Harold:

___Actually, Ford saved them from the brink quite a number of years ago. Ford on the other hand received the current Fiesta platform from the 2, the Fusion/Milan from the 6 and the Euro Focus from the 3. Mazda will need to innovate to stay afloat now that they are on their own and the new 3 is not nearly enough to do that.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. jimp

jimp Active Member

what are you basing your comment that their current line-up reeks? EPA estimates or 1st hand knowledge???:confused:

8. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

When I was shopping around for cars, they had nothing remotely attractive as far as fuel economy was concerned. Their newer cars as far as economy goes compares to the chrysler sebring.

9. jimp

jimp Active Member

so apparently you made a decision based on epa estimates then, but to say that Mazda's fuel economy reeks when their epa estimates just did not meet your criteria is unfair. My mazda 3 gets 32 mpg or better on average, which is better than alot of cars on the road, not as good as others, but still pretty damn good IMO. As we all know, EPA estimates can be misleading, look at your Avenger vs what your best tank ave is,

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

What I'm saying is, Mazda offers 32mpg highway on their most fuel efficient vehicle...32. The next in line is rated 30 hwy and all the others are 29 and under, including your car.

By any means, that would not be worth trading my car for which is rated 25 highway. My car is terrible for fuel economy. I get highway trips upwards of 50mpg with my car, but not everyone drives the way I do. EPA estimates are for the average driver, and for the average driver, and I, their fuel economy by far is way below that of most of the major automakers.

Comparatively speaking, Mazda has a terrible overall offering of FE vehicles.

11. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

Well from a "non hypermiling" perspective Mazda has quite a nice lineup. The 3 is worlds beyond the civic or corolla. The rest of the line is pretty much top tier as well. It just sucks that in a down economy few people will even need a new car right now.

12. jimp

jimp Active Member

Like you said, Mazda's EPA ratings are better than YOUR car, even the '09 Mazda 6i I4/AT is rated better than your car @ 30HWY, so apparently your cars' FE "reeks" worse than a Mazda. I agree with you in that you buying a new Mazda is not in your best interest based on EPA mileage estimates (depending upon what you expect in EPA estimates), but you should be more careful with your choice of words when you state that one manufacturers' EPA estimates "reek" when you drive something with worse EPA estimates. What are Chrysler/Dodge EPA estimates, better or worse than Mazda for comparable vehicles? Is it possible that Chryslers overall FE offering of FE vehicles is worse than Mazda ?

13. GreenVTEC

jimp please :rolleyes:

To put it simply your talking to a group that includes a couple individuals who feel a "good" automaker should make one 4 cyl diesel truck, 1 4 cyl diesel people mover, and 15 teensie weensie under 2500 lb hybrids & 6 speed MT compacts. Safety features removed to save weight of course since no public car would be capable of going above 50 mph hence lowering the need for safety. 0-60 in 14 seconds or above would be legally required. And all citizens would be required to pass an stick tranny hypermiling class prior to getting a drivers card.

14. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Whoa there, Tyler. There are some things that we would dream to be ideal (basic "ecodriving" exams before receiving a license would be one), but overall what we really want people to do is choose vehicles appropriate for 90% of their driving requirements. That means that trucks would not be used as daily drivers if all they do is cart the driver around. It means that vehicles wouldn't be chosen as daily drivers simply based on size, weight, and power desires but rather on actual normal use requirements.

We don't advocate removing safety features, nor will you hear the staff seriously suggesting a reduction in the number of safety devices being offered on new vehicles.

Most of us here do believe that the vast majority of drivers on the roads today don't choose transportation responsibly, don't drive efficiently, don't tend to drive safely, and don't really consider the consequences of profligate use of a finite resource which has destructive effects on our environment and health.

With that said, the phrase under the logo at the top of each page on this site is absolutely the underlying thrust of this site. Drive what you have as responsibly as you can and consider transportation that is efficient and appropriately matched to actual (90%+) driving requirements when it come time to replace your vehicle. If it truly needs to be a truck, so be it. Pick the best one out there for what you need. If it is actually a commuter you need, pick the best one for your needs out there with realistic consideration of those needs.

Following that logic, considering what manufacturers actually produce is a secondary concern. We can at times be harsh when it comes to comments about the auto industry, but honestly... if they don't produce what is needed by responsible customers, they'll go out of business. That will take care of itself if we can get those customers to purchase responsibly.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

15. GreenVTEC

Sean - Sorry, wasn't picking on anyone in particular. But honestly that is the general impression this forum has when you look around nearly every other automotive forum.

As time passes I think your going to get more and more part-time gas savers. People who don't supports many promoted ideals but are only interest in somewhat saving gas. I think you'll find more and more there is some hostility against any thread that becomes critical of studies like this or of select cars like the Camero, Mazdaspeed, S2000, etc etc.

16. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tyler:

___When gas is back up at $3.00 plus, the Camaro's, hopped up Mazda3's and S2000's will be relegated to the place they were before. That means stuck on dealership lots due to fuel costs let alone upfront costs, TCO's and needs somehow becoming far more important than wants. Someone will buy them but those that do are getting hit in the wallet and adding to our problems instead of helping relieve them.

___With regards to safety, all new cars should be equipped with the full complement of air bags and have decent crash test ratings. Look at our reviews if you believe we as a site promote something else. 1,500 pound vehicles with removed safety equipment? That most certainly did not come from CleanMPG.

___Regarding part timers, you bet and unfortunately that is the way many American's think. There is nothing we can do about it but offer the best suggestions wrt the right future vehicle to meet their needs and offer them the "right way" to drive. Following the speed limit to start is a big step for 95% of American's but it is both legal, morally correct and is far safer. And this is just a start to what it can do for our country.

___If everyone received just 45 mpg; we would not import a drop of oil. Imagine that. Not a single drop at just 45 mpg. Do you know how easy 45 mpg is to achieve? Instead of that FSP with a single driver behind the wheel, an HCH-II, Prius, FFH or Jetta TDI at half the TCO would do the country wonders. That is all it would take to cure the personal transportation dependence problem overnight. 9/11 did not wake American's up but $4.00 gas sure did. We are headed for $5.00 + again and is it prudent to prepare for this reality today even if it never occurs. You did with the purchase of the HCH-II.

___Finally, look at it like this. There is a train wreck just over the next ridge and everyone here knows it. The best way to avoid it is head in a different direction starting right now. It is my passion to make sure people know the train wreck is there and to show them what they can do to avoid it. Whether we as Americans listen is another story but looking at the sales of the FSP sales of all makes fall off the cliff the past 9-months, apparently most manufacturers did not get the same message that the consumers know to this day.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

It's a Mazda thing, and some people just don't understand. I pray that we aren't all eventually forced into Toyotas (esp) and Hondas. I'd rather ride my bike.

Jimp, I had a car just like yours and I miss it. A Protege isn't quite the same, but it IS paid for which is nice.

18. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Yes, I already stated that.

Buying a car that is rated a couple mpg better than my car is not really an upgrade as far as I'm concerned. My statement did not include any judgement of ANYTHING ELSE that mazda has on their cars. My statement was specific to fuel economy. That's what I meant when I said FE.

I do NOT have a new Chrysler Jimp. My car is 10 years old. I would NOT purchase a new Chrysler, I would NOT purchase a new mazda, and if they didn't think their fuel economy was bad, they would not be making plans about going to hybrids in the future, inviting ford to help them.

19. jimp

jimp Active Member

aca2983:
    I've owned Honda, Toyota and Mazda now. by far the Mazda 3 is the most fun car to date, never felt comfortable in the Honda accord, very reliable but jut not for me, Toyota's, good cars as well, had a 85 Celica GTS that was fun, but not like the Mazda 3, have not driven a Protege, my daughter has one and its been a good car for her, but she still wants my 3, and steals a quick drive when she can. I lucky in that my 3 is paid for, and its a ton of fun to drive, even if just communting to work, a comfy car for me.:woot: