BMW 335d -- Chicago to NY City on a single tank of fuel-II

Discussion in 'Diesel powered automobiles' started by xcel, Mar 5, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___I have been trying to get a hold of someone within the BMW North America group for the past few days and today it appears we may have hit pay dirt? In the near future, we are working on having a BMW 335d delivered for an I-80 run from Chicago to the East Coast to see what kind of range can be achieved from this monster fast fuel miser.

___Although only rated at 36 mpgUS highway and having a 17 or so gallon tank, I believe it "should" touch 800 miles with relative ease? Maybe even a thousand with a little effort on our part... Meaning the most boring drive in the history of BMW for the first 800 miles and a hair raising pucker factor drive the last 50 plus miles.

___Anyone want to go for a ride :D

BMW 335d – She looks nicer in person too.

[​IMG]

___Let us hope this one bares fruit...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Cant wait!!

3. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Slick ride! Any estimated dates?

4. xcel

Hi Mike:

___April 6 through the 12th maybe? If that turns out to be the case, I will be able to attend the NY Auto Show Press Event with Ricardo and Chris.

___I am also trying to procure a BMW118d from Bosch as I was told by a “little birdie” that there was exactly one in country and it was in the Detroit area. That 70 + mpg capable super-diesel might be more of a wish and a prayer however :angel:

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Wow, can't wait to see what that BMW can do.

6. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

Wayne, you can put me on the list of volunteers... could work out nicely to be back by Easter Sunday (Apr 12) if that week ends up being the one.

7. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

This looks promising. I wonder if any local media would be interested in some sort of "the reality of hypermiling" story while you're here. Although fuel costs are down, so is the net worth of each paycheck, so people may need a reminder that the answer to spending less on fuel is as near as their right foot.

8. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Most people don't want to hear that they need to drive differently to save fuel. They either feel insulted or feel it's a waste of time.

Plus, people hate change. I say the change you can control is better than the one you're forced to accept.

9. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

I wonder how it's going to live up to it's "Ultimate Driving Machine" claim.

10. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Looks like you already have enough people, but put me on the list also.

11. xcel

Hi Jud:

___I have already spoken with Ken and still have to get Chris' permission to have Ken stay at his home for the NY Auto Show Press Event "if" we can get the 335d during the week of April 7th through the 12th.

___If it is a different week, Ken and I can pick you up in the Toledo area and finish off the drive to NY City with a continuous RT. Maybe we can stay at Ricardo's home by driving I-90 through Albany on the way back to knock down the hours a touch?

___I have not heard back from BMW's press vehicle handling company in Chicago yet so we are still floundering around with the details.

___Sefton, you, Manuel (MSantos) and Tim (Brick) have never been involved in one of these and if we ever get a shot in the 118d (if it is still in country?) or even a new Jetta TDI, would you guys consider driving down (up for Tim) for a Chicago to Dallas and back or similar Review drive?

___And I keep working on Sean...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Having Ken stay wouldn't be a problem at all.

13. seftonm

Hi Wayne, I'd jump at chance to come down to Chicago and go for a drive in any of those cars. Especially the 118d, it's one of my all time favorites. I'm busy with school until about April 15, but after that I'm more or less free for the summer.

14. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Mike,

Do you know when we switch back to summer diesel.

15. seftonm

Hi Jud, it probably varies greatly depending on region. I'm told that in Winnipeg, the blend starts shifting towards summer diesel in late March and it's back to full summer diesel by late May. I would imagine that you start the transition about a month ahead of us in Cincinnati.

16. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

Wayne, if this happens after April 6th, and I'm still unemployed, I may be up for the trip if you have room left. April 6th is my 24th wedding anniversary so I think it just may be a bad idea for me to be gone that day in particular.:D Also, since I technically have to be always available for full-time employment in order to receive unemployment benefits, I would have to be a bit creative if I weren't actually in the state.;)

17. xcel

Hi All:

___I just received a confirmation that we will have the 335d from early afternoon on the 7th through the 11th so the 1,000 mile challenge is on! Speaking with the owner of the press vehicle handling company, he said he is amazed at its performance while offering FE up to 28 mpg the last time he drove it. Let us hope we can do a bit better than that ;)

___Still no word on Bosch's 118d however?

___All the while I sit here waiting for the Milan Hybrid that should have been here earlier this morning????

___Good Luck

___Wayne

18. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

wow Wayne..... you have the best job in the world. Good luck!

19. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Anything I can do to help Wayne ;)

20. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

I happened to look up a review at Car & Driver and Motor Trend..:eek:.. this 335d is a MONSTER! This twin-turbo 6 cylinder 3.0L precision engineered power plant puts out more torque than a 6.1L Dodge Hemi!! yeah only 425 lb.ft. of torque at 1700-2250 rpm :D

They mention 36mpg highway... nyuck nyuck... this engine loafs along at 1500 rpm at 60mph... methinks that with some diligence DWL/DWB that will be put away...