World record distance on a single tank for a Prius II - Japan - July 4 - Aug 16, 2006

Discussion in 'Articles' started by xcel, Aug 19, 2006.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Wayne Gerdes - August 19, 2006 - CleanMPG.com

Hi All:

I want to bring to everyone’s attention someone we should all know given what she has accomplished over the past month driving her Prius II back and forth to work in Japan! See this thread on the effort.

Although the details are still a bit sketchy, I will add, fix, or repair them as she sees fit throughout the next few days.

Teddy-Girl’s beautiful Blue Prius II
    [​IMG]
    The nick she goes by on the Japanese fuel economy forums is Teddy-Girl. ​

The stunning final results!

[​IMG]

What this translates into is the following in English:​

1,455.9 miles on 12.978 gallons of fuel for a grand total of 112.2 mpg!​

Details include a total distance of 2,343.1 km (1,455.9 miles) on 49.13 L (12.978 gallons) at 47.69 km/L (112.2 mpg) actual from fillup to fill up. 49.1 km/L (115.5 mpg) was displayed on the Japanese Prius II’s FCD.​

Warm up from dead cold to final destination totaled 75, so the average distance traveled was 31.2 km (19.368 miles) from dead cold to parked.​

Date the achievement was accomplished was from July 4th through August 16th, 2006​

Here are the 2 actuals as achieved at the 1,000 and 2,000 km points per the FCD during her record run.

[​IMG]
    47.1 km/L at the 1,000 km mark (112.2 mpg at the 621.4 mile mark) ​

[​IMG]
    49.0 km/l at the 2,000 km mark (115.2 mpg at the 1,242.7 mile mark)​

Doing the math yields a very nice 50.4 km/L consumption rate between the 1000 km and 2,000 km mark yielding a very nice 118.4 mpg. That is something special all on its own!

Climate was relatively mild with a max temperature of 25C (77 degrees F) in July to a max temperature of 30C (85 degrees F) in August. It rained just one day during the entire record tank.

Her home is in a valley of southern Akita Prefecture in northern Japan

Teddy-Girl’s record route
    [​IMG]

The route details include an almost flat road with a commute of ~ 12 km (7.45 miles) one way. The commute route is a single lane road, but traffic is very light and those coming up from behind have an easy time passing. There are just 5 signals for her entire commute. The speed limit is 40 to 50 km/h (25 – 31 mph). The altitude differential between the start of her commute and the finish is approximately 20m or 60 feet.

She used to travel a lot out of the valley and into the mountains but for this tank, she decided to stay in the valley. TeddyGirl, that was a great choice for this world record :D

Her Technique was using pure Pulse and Glide w/ a 50 km/h (31 mph) high to 30 km/h (18.6 mph) low or 55 (34 mph) high speed - 35 km/h (21 mph) low speed with a maximum 20 km/h (12 mph) range.

Modifications included a Closed upper grill (not effective at these temperatures) and she replaced the 195/55R16 Touring edition Michelin Pilot Primacy tires with 185/65R15 standard Goodyear GT3’s.

The Japanese 10-15 mode test results for the "G" edition Prius II is 33.0 km/L (77.6 mpg) and "G Touring" edition is 30.0 km/L (70.56 mpg). Japanese Prius users also see the 10% mileage number differences in the real world as well.

Tire pressures were held at 3.2kg/cm2 (45.5 psi) front and 3.0 kg/cm2 (42.7 psi) rear. She never measured them after beginning the record tank.

To finish off, I thought it might be interesting to see her Prius II as it sat during a heavy snowstorm in Northern Japan earlier this year ;)

Who would have thought this is the Prius that would change the world!
    [​IMG]

Congratulations Teddy-Girl!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2006
  2. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Re: Prius II world record distance on a single tank - Japan - July 4 - Aug 16, 2006

Where did you manage to dig up a translation, or at least the
    essence of the "xrea" threads?
    _H*

3. Yoshi

Yoshi Active Member

Re: Prius II world record distance on a single tank - Japan - July 4 - Aug 16, 2006

I'm a messenger between Teddy-Girl and Wayne. :)

Yoshi

4. theorist

theorist Member

:woot:

Thank you!

Any information on her rate of acceleration in terms of liters per minute, RPM, vacuum, etc?

Any information on when, if ever, she used the battery? (Many at Priuschat advocate charging the battery during pulses and drawing from the battery during 'glides'.)

Any information on if she forced a low state of charge on the battery to force more intense pulses, if she forced a high state of charge to force less intense pulses, or if she let the battery remain at it's preferred 6 bar state of charge?

Any innovations we haven't even thought of that she'd like to share?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  5. xcel

Hi Hobbit:

___I saw Yoshi post this info on another board somewhere and asked if Teddy-Girl would mind if I wrote up an article on her accomplishments. She obliged and now we have a decently detailed write-up for everyone. I have to really thank Yoshi for his input or we would have never known about it here in the states for quite some time … I hope it helps with future record attempts as this one was pretty spectacular in my book!

___I received new Teddy-girl updates from Yoshi today for inclusion into her record breaking attempt writeup … You now have her 1,000 km and 2,000 km FCD screenshots for comparison … Also, Yoshi added it was a little warmer in August (30 degrees C - 85 degrees F on average) then in July (25 degrees C – 77 degrees F) and I included that as well. The Prius II really starts to shine above 70 degrees F and I think the proof is in the pics and her excellent achievement!

___To get from 47.7 km/L at 1K km’s to 49.0 km/L at 2K km’s means she averaged > 50.4 km/L for that second 1,000 km. That is 118.4 mpg!

___Yoshi, when I had my final few hours behind the wheel of Dan’s perfectly setup Prius II last year, I was running the SoC down at a max of 4 bars in 70 - 75 degree F (21 - 23 degrees degree C) temperatures IIRC where she really started to perform well. The final 30 mile RT segment calculated out to 54 km/L and I could not have asked for better myself … I pulsed in the normal manner letting the terrain dictate my rates and ranges for the longest glides. Can you ask Teddy-girl for her details given what Theorists has asked above?

___Good Luck and thank you so much for being the go between because of the large US to Japanese language barrier and possible mis-interpretation of everything posted.

___Wayne

6. Yoshi

Yoshi Active Member

She has no fancy instruments other than the standard MFD display, therefore no data is available.
    Her basic is no arrow gliding, but she sometimes uses weak battery powers when she needs to maintain speed.
    She does not care about the "deadband" pulse and she sees green charging arrow, but she does not do too much to see yellow discharge arrow.
    Good point, I think.
    Her battery level is relatively low, between three and four.
    Short pulse and long glide keeps her battery low, but she sees the very good mileage number.
    She said her speed is relatively low, which means she feels the effective drive because of less braking and less regenerating.
    She believes the low battery level causes more effective charging.

Regards,
    Yoshi

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  7. xcel

Hi Yoshi:

___Thank you for the detailed reply and it sounds like she was doing everything right let alone smashing the record. Again, tell her what a great job she did … As if I have not said that enough already ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. NEmystic

NEmystic Active Member

Yoshi-san;

Domo arigato!

Automobile fuel efficiency competition (as a sport) has not been popular in the USA or Japan as it has been in Europe for many years.
    People like "Teddy-Girl" and Wayne Gerdes ("xcel") are doing a very great service to the world by demonstrating the possibilities of fuel efficiency in production passenger cars.

Thank you again for translating the details of Teddy-girl's remarkable accomplishments.

We hope to see more.

-Brian-san

9. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

fantastic details Wayne! All that I wanted to see, and boy with those speed ranges and distance... it gives it more points as a car I want to own since I closely match these similiar conditions.

I'm amazed it took her over 3 months though... so only filling up gas 4 times a year! Holy cow that's too good to be true!!

10. DwightJacks

DwightJacks New Member

Re: World record distance on a single tank for a Prius II - Japan - July 4 - Aug 16,

hi, :Banane43:

Thank you for the detailed reply and it sounds like she was doing everything right let alone smashing the record. Again, tell her what a great job she did … As if I have not said that enough already
    thank, :bananalama:

:Banane41: