Prius Navigation

Discussion in 'Smartphones and GPS Navigation' started by Aether glider, Apr 14, 2008.

1. is it just me or does the Toyota navigation suck? I'm used to the Garmin Nuvi 200w I have and then i got this prius with built in Navigation and its horrible. Maybe if i update it will help. Its the 04' disc I assume. I doubt the previous owner (old lady) updated it.

Anyone know if I will be happier with an update or just keep my Garmin?

2. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

We have nav on our 08 and I prefer the Delorme on a laptop. I don't like not being able to alter the route while enroute. An aftermarket hack is available, but I don't think it would be worth it. An update DVD for the nav is several hundred dollars.

3. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

From what I have heard on Priuschat about the built-in navigation, I would keep the Garmin.

4. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Well Garmin does make the best GPS units in the world. I've got a Garmin GPS V. It's real old balls. Yep little tiny 1 inch, black and white lcd screen, and I still prefer it to the built in nav unit in my dads prius. It's just asinine not being able to alter a route while the car is moving, especially when you have a passenger sitting there to do it. It's also asinine being able to press the map button on the steering wheel, but then you have to look down and click the "I agree I wont play with this map while driving" button.

5. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Heh. Welcome to the primary reason to go aftermarket on that.
    _H*

6. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Here is a cure that will let you alter your nav and watch videos on the nav screen too.

7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hey, that's pretty nifty! Does anyone on this site have one of those installed?

8. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

That is nice. I am going to have to look into getting one of those.

9. That Ultimate lockpick will be an early birthday present to myself:D

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

I don't have NAV, but I've read enough negative reports on the Prius forums to be glad I don't.

As for Coastal products, it's "buyer beware." Customer service is reported as spotty at best on PriusChat. If they have an item in stock, it seems that shipment generally is prompt. If not or if you need support, then it's a whole other story, and good luck trying to get them to return calls or e-mail. I suggest anyone considering a purchase do a thorough search on PC to get a good sense of their shipping and support for the product you're buying.

11. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Not all NAVI units are created equal. As for the Prius’, I hate it. I have seen the coastal tech hack in real time and saw reroutes via voice commands but even with that, it just does not match the usability and/or capability of the Alpine units which are OEM in the Honda’s. It is not even close in fact :angry:

___I suspect the whole issue of Toyota’s on-the-road real time programming will go the way of the DoDo on the next iteration as I do not see someone driving an LS with the same unit + a few more features stopping in order to plan an all-new destination when everyone else no matter how well or poorly their NAVI’s are setup can do everything while on the road. Not condoning programming while driving but just saying it can be a necessity at times. Oh, and the Prius’ user interface and intuitiveness leaves a lot to be desired. Again, coming from someone that uses an OEM Honda NAVI which I love.

___Good Luck

___Wayne