2014 Toyota Highlander at the abandoned Packard Plant
the Packard Automotive Plant is where luxury Packard cars were made by the Packard Motor Car Company and later by the Studebaker-Packard Corporation. The 3,500,000 sq. ft. plant located on 40 acres on Detroit?s east side was designed by Albert Kahn Associates. It was the first building to use of reinforced concrete in the United States for industrial construction in the automobile industry. The Packard plant was opened in 1903 and at the time was considered the most modern automobile manufacturing facility in the world with skilled craftsmen involved in over eighty trades. The factory complex closed in 1958, though other businesses operated on the premises or used it for storage until the late 1990s.