Michigan Congressman Wants 50-Cent Tax Hike on Every Gallon of Gas

Discussion in 'In the News' started by lamebums, Mar 20, 2008.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_FEH_in_the_city.jpg[/xfloat]FOX News - March 19, 2008

Gas prices continue to skyrocket, yet there has been little change in vehicle choices or driving habits. Another fifty cents might finally push us over :( -- Ed.

A Michigan congressman wants to put a 50-cent tax on every gallon of gasoline to try to cut back on Americans' consumption.

Polls show that a majority of Americans support policies that would reduce greenhouse gases. But when it comes to paying for it, it's a different story.

Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., wants to help cut consumption with a gas tax but some don't agree with the idea, according to a new poll by the National Center for Public Policy Research.

The poll, scheduled to be released on Thursday, shows 48 percent don't support paying even a penny more, 28 percent would pay up to 50 cents more, 10 percent would pay more than 50 cents and 8 percent would pay more than a dollar.

"I don't want to pay more, I don't think anyone wants to," said Karen Deacon, a motorist.

"I think that wouldn't make any sense," said Frankie Hoe, a motorist. "Ugh ... who's making the money from all this and where is that money going? Is it going to go green? I don't see any green things anywhere."

The automobile is the nation's biggest polluter; Americans use more gas than the next 20 countries combined... [rm]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,339589,00.html[/rm]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  2. 300TTto545

300TTto545 Well-Known Member

Count me in the 8% that would pay $1 more. The quote from the Center on Public Policy Research makes no sense. The feeling there is that this would make no long term change in usage is ridiculous. I mean how can someone think that - you have to assume that people are so addicted to their FSPs that they can't change no matter what the price.

3. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Standard fare for the D's. They want to tax the crap out of everything.

4. Himmitch

Himmitch Well-Known Member

Too true. That cost would also filter down and make everything go up in price.

5. mac-mile

mac-mile Well-Known Member

Exactly! :mad:

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

You mean like what happens every time the minimum wage is raised? :p

I'm always concerned about what happens to the tax money -- I never seem to see the results I'm promised when I get a new tax increase. :(

7. Bruce

Bruce cheapskate

Well, we can tax it and help pay off the national debt, or we can not tax it and let the money line OPEC's pockets instead; the latter is the most likely result.

I'm surprised a MI rep is doing this, given the US auto mfr's headquarters. Gas taxes are political suicide, particularly in MI.

8. ocmpgd

ocmpgd Janitor Member

If taxing politically incorrect behaviour worked, us British would be the happiest and healthiest in the world. But we're some of the most miserable and porky.

Mr Himmitch is correct. It will only increase the cost of living. You don't want everything to be twice as expensive as it is in the UK.

9. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

Ever get the feeling your on a party bus heading for a cliff? Your only one that seems remotely concerned about the fact that it will smash the bus to smithereens? Maybe it's just me.

10. greenrider

greenrider Well-Known Member

As much as taking (or throwing) more money is a typical Democratic response to an issue, I have to agree with them here. I'd rather get the $$ here than keep sending it to biuld island palaces in Dubai. Maybe, just maybe, we also wouldn't need to spend enormous sums of $$ to make all our freeways the 8-10 lanes needed here in the metro Chicago area to ease congestion. Finally, a good idea from Michigan.

11. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

I could go with a $0.50 increase on gasoline tax if there were a corresponding program to send me a payment every year for each of my fuel efficient vehicles, and to send a large tax bill to owners of FSP's. My incentive checks could easily be financed by collection of gas-guzzler taxes. The gasoline tax itself should go to road and bridge work, and paying off government debt.

Peope cry and throw fits over an increase in gasoline taxes of 50 cents. How much has gasoline gone up in price the last two years? $1.50?

Harry

12. lamebums

lamebums Member

I support a tax up front on gas guzzlers, but never, never on gasoline. Count me in on the group that refuses to pay even one cent more. That just further drives the working classes into the hole while richer people get a pass because hey, they can afford it. Companies with bottom lines, ordinary drivers, and especially independent truckers will be annihilated by higher gas prices.

It's just another example of the Democrats wanting to tax the **** out of everything so everyone's poor - and then when that happens, the poor get on the welfare rolls just like the Democrats want them to, so they're hopelessly dependent on the government - and then inclined to vote Democrat so they continue to get their government checks (without realizing the Democrats put them in this situation).

13. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Well if I follow Lester Brown's idea of an annual increase of gasoline tax of $0.30 over ten years in 10 years the gas tax will be up $3.00. Current combined usage by me and the wife is 2 gallons a day or 730 gallons a year. This new tax at it's highest will add $2190 a year to my taxes, but Lester says my income tax will be reduced by an equal amount.

Where is the pain if my taxes remain the same? I already pay the Feds $8000+ a year. Seems only those that pay little or no federal taxes will suffer.

A system that limits the deductability so that reducing consumption actually leads to less taxes gives a better incentive.

14. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Let me add a few of my own thoughts …

[​IMG]
    National Debt

___Everyone here will have to eventually pay this off or you will not be getting your SS checks in the manner promised the last 50 years as the surplus goes to hide this monstrosity and it is still growing exponentially. This turns out to ~ $31,000 for every man, woman and child in the US today with interest. You can tax me now or later.

___As oil climbs, the price we pay for it goes up which increases our trade deficit and the $ falls which causes us to pay even more for oil … Simple negative feedback at work here. There are still people purchasing FSP’s at $3.50 per gallon. Every 15 gallons that goes into the FSP tank is 15 gallons that goes out the window and drives the price of gasoline/diesel that much higher. If we want the cheap fuel even with a gasoline tax, we have to be driving fuel efficient vehicles and that is most certainly not the case currently. It is time to begin looking at those in the FSP’s (my wife for one :rolleyes:) causing the problem, not a $0.50/gallon tax.

___Whether a tax on gasoline like this would work for debt repayment or whatever else the politicos say it would go for is not the point. Dan hit it on the head. We are on the bus heading off a cliff and most concerned about the bus cost after smashing on the rocks below. Hello?

___We must reduce the nation’s fuel consumption immediately and in ever increasing swaths. We are already down almost 3,000 Civilians and over 4,000 soldiers plus .5 Trillion $’s in expenditures over the last 5 years over the damn stuff. The world is about to or has already peaked and we will be looking at some seriously troubling times as the prices go higher due to simple supply rather than Joe Q. and Suzy Q. driving FSP’s and in an inefficient manner because they are still holding on to an impossible dream. If a $0.50 tax hike prices the bottom end of the populace off the street, is it better to do that now rather than wait until there are actual shortages where nobody moves and the economy really goes to hell in a hand basket?

___It is our choice that put us in the situation we are now in. It is time for us to take responsibility for those choices and burning our men and woman up in the hell called the Middle East so we can continue to burn 20 MBD is ludicrous.

___A tax hike like this should generate no revenue over the next 5 years as more purchase the fuel efficient vehicles now instead of scrambling for them later after it’s to late. This is the stick part of the game and we American’s need a good hard kick in the pants given the irresponsible way in which we have consumed the world’s resources and to be damned with our future let alone the future of anybody else.

___Europe … High fuel costs with $4.00 per maybe 5 years ago and guess what they were driving. I can name 20 vehicles with Prius like FE over there. Here in the US? Just 1 and beyond the three or four at the top of the list, the rest are absolutely pathetic :angry: The Big 2.5 offers what, 30 mpg tops here at $3.25 per whereas in Europe, they have been offering 50 + mpg vehicles for the last 10 + years!

___Let us reiterate. Add $0.50 gas tax and hopefully that is enough to drive everybody towards Prius like vehicles. If it does, the cost of fuel goes down or at least doesn’t rise nearly as fast as it is with the status quo. At the same time giving us a little more time to move to PHEV/EV based local transportation system. If not, fuel will continue to rise faster than we can swap out the fleet of vehicles to something far more sustainable until we have driven off the cliff with all of us aboard the bus we are all so worried about getting smashed.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  15. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

Actually Wayne, we don't have to give the government more, they could also spend less. I really wish we could make a major impact. Govenments need to be in the business of governing, not building museums, statues, or other art. Not pushing their personal interests over those of others. Not taking from the poor to over-feed the rich.

I'm not the most optimistic person. Seeing the gambling measures here pass so that their would be extra funding for the schools. What? We didn't say "extra" funding...we said funding. We are taking away the money we used to give them & making them entirely depending on the money earned by gambling taxes (with all the ebbs & flows they give us). So, I'm not willing to give extra money to the govenment because I'm using gas while they give money to the oil companies to produce it. That's not right. I wouldn't even be happy if all those new tax dollars went to green, if it meant that it was replacing the old green money so it can go do other frivilous and often dirty things.

However all that said, I agree that at some point we are going to have to give more or receive less. And I have in the past put forth that same idea (I didn't think of it and neither did he), and feel that we should tax the stuffing out of gas to help push it off market. But will it be like IL state gas taxes where they were "deleted" when the economy had a sour time to help it along, or are we going to be strong and all but ban gas sales in the US?

Final note...those taxes should be based on total sales of gas, so as gas use goes down, gas taxes go down. At that point most people are transitioning away from gas and we can stop putting the screws to it.

16. toastblows

toastblows Well-Known Member

50 cents it too low

Give higher credits for business taxes to offset 100% of 50 cent tax.

Do it now :flag:

17. Bruce

Bruce cheapskate

Higher taxes also help to damp the percentage changes from market prices. A market-driven buck increase here is a big deal, but not nearly as much in Europe where fuel is already heavily taxed. Guess whose currency is faring better as a result in these days of triple-digit oil prices. :(

18. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

The gas tax debate goes back to at least the 1970's - see From 1990: The Second-Best Way to Save Gas...it's saying raising the CAFE standards it the best way after a gas tax. Anyone notice how many gas guzzlers have been up for sale lately? It's a testimony as to how price can change behavior - test people who say "I need this truck...". Price impacts every vehicle made old and new. CAFE standards only affect new vehicles.

Think for a moment if there was no government regulation on fuel economy at all. the average car might get 12 or 15mpg instead of 20 - we import about 10 million bbls daily. For every 1mpg difference, that's probably a million bbls....do you really prefer sending the money to Iran and Venuzela?

We would have been better off years ago to steadily raise the gas tax (with a proportionate decrease in income tax). The SUV boom of the 1990 would likely have been avoided and the resulting pain in Detroit.

Speaking of govenment regulation, anyone remember the Hummer write-off?

19. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

Ahh, the national monetary policy makes since now. The less the dollar is worth, the less our debt is worth. Now that's actually fairly brilliant.

So if we could just get the dollar-to-euro exchange rate down to something like:

1,000,000 $ to 1 Euro, then we would have a nation debt we could start reducing in a few decades.

Gotta hand it to them Washington eggheads... they know what they are doing...

Brilliant!

20. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

We could sell gas by the liter...think how cheap that would look on the bilboard...gas $1.

And think of the fuel tanks capacity:)