CleanMPG Hypermiler’s to reenact the 1908 Great Race - 100 years later

Discussion in 'General' started by xcel, Jan 30, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Rough Draft

Two Honda Civic Hybrids take on the continent in an around the clock hypermiling adventure with members in tow.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/1908_Thomas_Flyer_-_Great_Race_Champ.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes and Sean Welch - CleanMPG - Jan. 30, 2008

The 1908 Thomas Flyer Great Race Champion driven by Montague Roberts and George Schuster.

An ever changing world brings with it new modes of transport. Starting with mastery of bipedal motion and ranging to beyond the time man walked on the moon, the destination has always been the same -- somewhere beyond the horizon …

During the dawn of the 20th century, America itself was in the midst of great change. Enter the automobile. At first cars were fragile luxury items but thanks to those tireless few who drove them around the world in 1908, the contraption once thought to be less reliable than a horse was now carrying the dreams of our forefathers not just over the horizon but much much further.

The 1908 Great Race was not so much a race as an endurance challenge conducted to determine whether or not it was actually possible to drive a motor vehicle across the United States (which had never been done before), and then completely around the world to Paris. In 1908 roads were nearly non-existent and much of the route was across horse and buggy paths or worse yet, nothing but unplowed snow or muddy fields. Anywhere from tens to hundreds of miles of back breaking work separated unscheduled way points and uncertain lodgings.

Building upon the illustrious history of the automobile preceding us, a cast of CleanMPG members will commemorate the dawn of the automobile age. Rather then looking back at the past, they will be driving the future of transportation in a bold reenactment of the Greatest Automobile Race ever held. Though very different from the Thomas Flyer, the spirit of the Flyer’s team will be with them as two Honda Civic Hybrids traverse the country in a 24x7 marathon won not by speed, but by conservative speeds and best conservation of fuel.

February is a highly inopportune time for fuel economy challenges but the timing was crucial for the Thomas Flyer team. Back in 1908, the US entrants (including the Thomas Flyer) believed they had to reach the Bering Strait before its ice broke up so the February launch date was set. The early twentieth century Great Race entrants intended to drive across the ice and into Asia without knowing the task that lay ahead was all but impossible. We will not be driving across the Bering Strait, through Japan, China, Siberia or Europe but the US segment of the route is open for this challenge.

The original 1908 Great Race route as linked covers the following North American launch and finish points with a multitude of cities and towns between:

Launch on the morning of February 12, 2008: New York City, NY, Times Square

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/569/Great_Race_North_American_Route.jpg[/xfloat]New York: New York City, Hudson, Fonda, Canastota, Geneva and Buffalo

Pennsylvania: Erie

Ohio: Toledo

Indiana: Kendallville, Wawaka, Goshen, South Bend, New Carlisle, Rolling Prairie, Chesterton and Burdick

Illinois: Chicago and Rochelle

Iowa: Clarence, Belle Plaine, Ogden and Logan

Nebraska: Omaha, Columbus, Lexington, and Sidney

Wyoming : Cheyenne, Laramie, Walcott, Rawlins, Granger, and Evanston

Utah: Morgan, Ogden and Promontory Point

Nevada: Cobre, Ely and Tonopah

California: Ballarat, Bakersfield, Los Banos and San Francisco

Destination on the evening of Feb 15, 2008 - San Francisco, CA

Enter the 2008 Great Race North American Automobiles

[​IMG]----[​IMG]
    ------Laurie’s 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 5-speed---------------------------Honda supplied and sponsored 2008 HCH-II w/ NAVI

2008 Great Race North American Drivers

Drivers taking on the 24/7 challenge to date includes the following:

• Bailout - Known for his escapades driving up one side and down the other of the almost always snow covered Sierra Nevada’s -- all while maintaining an expert rating in his Toyota Yaris!

• Billy - Anyone who has seen the most beautiful Insight on the planet has seen Billy behind the wheel. He is usually found in the upper reaches of Washington State but when out to hypermile, watch records fall!

• Tarabell - If you own an HCH-II and do not know who this young lady is, you have missed out on a gold mine for far too long ;) She is author of the most famous Honda Civic Hybrid-II driving document of all, Adapting Basic Hypermiling-Techniques to the HCH-II.

• Right Lane Cruiser - Coming out of nowhere with a 30 mpg Hyundai Elantra, he figured out a way to pull 60 mpg in the middle of a MN winter before transitioning to the ultimate fuel saver of them all -- the 5-speed Honda Insight. Managing 100 + mpg segments in 30 degree temps is his latest accomplishments

• Slow Hands - Driving an ancient by today’s standards 96 Ford Ranger, he has accomplished an lmpg beyond anyone’s imagination while running deep inside some of the worst that Chicago has to offer.

• Xcel - Ringleader of the band -- or is it the asylum? :)

There is still room for more HCH-I, HCH-II, Prius-I or II owners and drivers if anyone is interested in participating in the 1908 Great Race reenactment with us. There are other top rated drivers who can fill an open spot as necessary but we do require a minimum of 3 drivers per vehicle for safety’s sake.

A thank you goes out to our friend Laurieaw who could not participate due to a scheduling conflict but who was willing to lend out her vehicle in exchange for an Insight for a week. I want to also thank the Honda Motor Company for the use of a brand new 2008 HCH-II with a unique delivery and drop off location. Without either, this event would not be possible in the manner currently laid out.

The Great Automobile Race - New York to Paris 1908

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'll let you get a bit further before I offer suggestions. I see some things to change right now but I don't want to run into both of us editing at the same time. :)

3. Right Lane Cruiser

I'm tackling this now -- it could take a while...

4. xcel

Hi Sean:

___Thank you! The Quoted section was right out of the book so you can probably leave it alone other thean finding break points where I might be able to shorten it with the infamous ... :)

___Good Luck and thanks again for all your hard work and super human efforts on this little adventure we have cooked up as well!

___Wayne

5. Right Lane Cruiser

You are welcome. :) I have marked in italics the sections I believe should be chopped from the quote -- that should bring it down to a nice overview that flows decently.

Let me know if you want more sprucing. ;)

6. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

perhaps you could mention why i can't be there. i was talking to our company owner this morning, about driving the insight and other things. he was commenting on cars he would like to see, like the hydrogen, clean diesel, natural gas, plug in prius.....he doesn't spend time on the web like i do, and i told them they are all in the works.....he smiled. i told him we had the natural gas car here for a meeting, and about the one honda is putting out for california, the clarity? is that what it's called? he asked if i was going to drive the adventure next week. i told him i just couldn't do it.

i also told him he had been mentioned a lot on here, both with his choice of cars, and all the recycling and energy saving ideas he was put into effect at the company. he is trying to do more all the time, so he knows where we are coming from.

i hope you guys will take very good care of my car. i consider it to be irreplaceable. oh, and the picture you have? can't be my car, it's far too clean :)

7. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

also, i looked at the list of cities, and here's why i hope you don't run into weather related problems....

i had taken a trip out west once in late march, i think my sister was getting married in colorado or some such thing. coming home, i started running into bad weather.....as i got into nebraska, the car, a ford granada, was starting to accumulate ice on the antenna, bumpers and other parts of the car. the semis had stopped driving, and the interstate was very dangerous. i pulled off into Sydney, NE, which i see on the list. i was snowed in there, on April 1st, for 3 days. i have pictures of the car buried in 2 feet of snow. and let me tell you, there is NOTHING in that town. by the third day i could get out of the motel well enough to walk downtown to the movie theatre. they had two screens, only instead of a wall, it was divided by heavy curtains. so i watch one movie and could hear the other at the same time. lovely.

just fair warning about nebraska in the winter. :)

8. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

Slightly edited/revised the last two paragraphs above the map:

Building upon the illustrious history of the automobile preceding us, a team of CleanMPG members will commemorate the dawn of the automobile age. Rather than looking to the past, they will drive cars that are the future of transportation in a bold reenactment of the Greatest Automobile Race ever held. Though very different from the Thomas Flyer, its spirit will be with them as two Honda Civic Hybrids traverse the country in a 24/7 marathon -- to be won not by speed, but by conservation of fuel.

February is of course a highly inopportune month for fuel economy challenges but in 1908 the timing was crucial for the race. Back then, the entrants needed to reach the Bering Strait before its ice broke up so they could drive across the ice and into Asia. We will not be driving through Japan, China, Siberia, or Europe but will retrace the entire US segment of their route for this challenge.

9. xcel

Hi Rani:

___Whoa, I almost missed your last few pieces. If both of you would look at the home page and see edit what is needed including my own edit on top of edit on top of edit ...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. tarabell

tarabell Well-Known Member

I figured that ;)
    OK I'll edit the home page article per my changes above, but you can always tweak some more if needed.

11. xcel

Hi Tarabell:

___I incorporated what fit but please have a look as I need all the help I can get :D :D :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Just because I did not comment, don't think for a moment I was disinterested.

Work has to roadblock my possibility of being involved in this. :(

13. xcel

Hi All:

___I guess I should provide some comment about what I have received in terms of PM’s and such the past few hours.

___Jay Groh out of Ohio (TheForce) is considering the trip as is GreenBlue’s (Wayne and his wife Marie) out of Northwest WI.

___Bradlee is acting as a go between Eric and I for some reason???

As an edit and reminder, be careful which thread you are replying too …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008