Month of November 2021 (Nat'l Avg $3.402)

Discussion in 'The Daily Grind' started by Gord, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Gord

Gord Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the grind :D

[​IMG]

That a 6.58% rise in the month for Regular and nearly 9% for Diesel :eek:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    litesong and BillLin like this.
  2. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Thanks for starting our November, Gord.
    Today , 34 deg F in Northbrook , 35 in Elk Grove.
    17.2 miles , fcd = 61.6 x .943 = 58.1 MPG.

litesong, BillLin and Gord like this.
  3. litesong

litesong litesong

You must have been multi-tasking: 1) starting this thread, & 2) handing out Halloween candy, last night.

Attached Files:

BillLin, EdwinTheMagnificent and Gord like this.
  4. Gord

We only get 3 trick-or-treater’s last night - candy left over!

This morning, non-motorway route, 46F:
    224Wh/mi or 4.5 mi/kWh

BillLin and EdwinTheMagnificent like this.
  5. EdwinTheMagnificent

I wasn't at home Sunday. But last year I was , and didn't get a single trick-or-treater.

litesong and Gord like this.
  6. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

We had 3 small groups early, then quiet for the next hour and a half... My wife buys the candy with OUR preferences in mind. :D

unpaid advertisement: We easily watched the approach of youngsters trick-or-treating last night. I love the Wyze Cam V3. Great price, super functionality, reasonable subscription costs. I have a bunch of them but only paid the subscription on 2 for longer clips and extra detection features. Much less cost than Ring Doorbells and I believe the video quality is better, especially its light gathering ability in low light. Things look bright well past sunset, and still looks reasonable in color. Or, turn on the near field or far field infrared LEDs for great black and white. The LEDs are invisible to the naked eye in one of the settings.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Gord likes this.
  7. litesong

litesong litesong

We used to NOT get many trick or treaters. But, a decade & a half ago, an article in the Everett Herald newspaper highlited us, & we get plenty of ghosts & goblins now. Last night we got MORE than plenty! Fortunately, my wife doles out the goodies, instead of letting the ghoolies grab handfuls of sugar. Lots of costumes & masks….. & none of them medical masks! America ain’t thinking of ccp coronavirus any longer & that’s why the US is still pulling away from Brazil & India.

Gord and BillLin like this.
  8. litesong

litesong litesong

Oh…..you give the trick or treaters the expensive European chocolates renowned around the World.

BillLin likes this.
  9. litesong

litesong litesong

Just got tires for my wife & switched some around on the 2013 automatic Elantra & the 2016 manual Elantra. My wife & I have had….”pre-fights” over tires that would be put on the manual Elantra. She claimed the manual as her car, but I was the one who spent years waiting for just the right Elantra to come along on the dealer’s lot & I’m the one that fought the dealers to get the right price. Anyhow, she no longer wanted the “worn” tires, so came to me to get NEW tires. I told her I have great used tires that I lined up to put on the manual Elantra. She tried to steam roll me, but I told her of the used but high quality tires we had in the garage, two used tires being the same brand & model “worn” tires she wanted to get rid of. A third tire is the same brand (different Model) tire AND BRAND NEW. A fourth tire is a different brand, but was built on the same equipment that her old brand tires were made on. All the used tires are wonderful over-sized tires that give the Elantra, a bigger car feel. She drove the manual Elantra on the “new” used tires, & within a mile said how big the drive felt & how quiet the new tires were. So, that was one very surprising victory.
    So far, she has failed to notice, I put two of the used “worn” tires from the 2016 manual Elantra onto the 2013 automatic Elantra(the original car that got them when the tires were new)….. because they still have life, that a featherfooter who doesn’t drive the automatic Elantra in bad weather, can obtain.

Anyhow, after years of waiting, the 2016 manual Elantra has the over-sized tires that I always wanted on the manual. AND YEAH, THE MANUAL ELANTRA FEELS BIGGER! How much bigger? The worn tires were 205 by 55 by 16 inch tires. Three of the used “new” tires are 215 by 55 by 17 inch tires. The fourth tire is even taller, at 225 by 60 by 16 inch. The over-sized tires are 1.4 inch & 1.7 inches taller than the old “worn” tires AND they all really fill the wheel wells….. SSSSWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT!!!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Gord likes this.
  10. EdwinTheMagnificent

Today , 31 deg F in Naperville , 35 in Elk Grove.
    35.0 miles , ave speed 40 MPH , fcd = 62.4 x .943 = 58.8 MPG.

11. BillLin

As long as they have legal tread left on them, why not?...

Not sure what you mean by feels bigger...

So... you're driving with one axle with mismatched tires? Sounds like a recipe for some wear and tear and potential mishandling... What does your trusty mechanic say about that?

Gord and litesong like this.
  12. litesong

litesong litesong

The Goodyear Asssurance Comfortreds have been driven on the 2013 automatic Elantra, but mostly on the 2016 manual Elantra. Tire wear has been very even, & are still well above the wear bars. As mentioned, my driving is elective with the 2013 Elantra & I won’t drive it in the rain. Emergency braking distances in rain on “worn”, but legal tires get very long.

If you ever can, drive two same brand & model vehicles, one with short tires & the other with tall tires. You’ll immediately tell which vehicle has the taller tires. Bumps are really tamed with larger diameter tires. That’s why millions of people opt for vehicles with big tires. Also, if one vehicle has tires 1.5 inches taller, the vehicle will actually be 3/4ths of an inch taller.

The tallest tire is 3/10ths of an inch taller, being used on the non-driving axle. My mechanic says I’m good to go. I’ve been on over-sized tires with wider treads than normal previously, even with slightly different diameters on the non-drive wheels. I’ve always felt even more secure than with the small OE tires manufacturers put on their new lowest-priced cars. With 100,000+ miles of experience on my used over-sized tires, even mis-matched tires, I’ll never go back to OE smaller tires. Also, one extra thing about tires that are say, 20mm wider….. the vehicle tracking width is 20mm wider AND will resist body lean in corners better.

Yes, I agree with you, Bill. There is potential for greater wear & tear. But, my featherfooting of vehicles, tremendously makes up for theoretical extra wear & tear. The Hyundai Accent has 165,000+ miles & has been on over-sized & mis-matched tires for 50,000+ miles. It still seems vey tight. I’ll tell you for sure, when my mechanic tells me my suspension starts having problems.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  13. BillLin

re: driving "bigger" - My first thought was that your turning radius was compromised. :D

Great!

I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference unless I'm driving other some road debris or going off-road. :)

Good!

I'm not sure that's the case per the definition of track as I know it (measured from centerline of the tires or from the hubs), but you'll certainly have a wider stance measured from the outside of both tire sides, so I can see how it may handle better.

You do have lots of driving experience with your cars and non-standard tires, so you have that going for you.

Gord and litesong like this.
  14. litesong

litesong litesong

See……that’s the advantage of building a moat around the house (your castle), & having a draw bridge you raise before the first trick or treater shows up. You must have had a spy glass to see the scurvy pirates, coming to loot your castle. I see it helped you, after you placed crocodiles in the moat, too. Good you took my advice. o_O:D

15. litesong

litesong litesong

Man, the railroad tracks around here, keep degrading, with the heavier & more numerous vehicles, pounding over them. The railroad has repaired tracks at one crossing probably 10+ times in the last 15 years. But, the wild increase in traffic pounding is so intense, the railroad crossing is a bumpy mess, soon after repairs. I’m really happy with over-sized tires while going over railroad tracks. I even put my manual cars in neutral going over some of the worst tracks, to keep the tires from transferring all that railroad track bashing to the transmission & engine. Yeah, yeah, yeah….I even drive slower over the tracks now.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Gord likes this.
  16. BillLin

Yes, definitely a moat and alligators (do we have crocs in the US?) is the way to go. Electrified fences and hot oil would add additional protection.

A couple of railroad crossings near me were bad for 10+ years, but they were just fixed within the past year and are very smooth. See, I think you're doing it wrong. You need to be going fast enough so the car crosses lightly, barely touching. Same goes for pot holes; go fast enough so the wheel/tire doesn't have a chance to drop in.

17. litesong

litesong litesong

Ah, the James Bond method of transportation! I like that. But, now potholes are being laid down in a running series of gullies & canyons. The only answer is the Evel Knievel solution……..rocket your way across….& hope the parachute doesn’t deploy too soon.

BillLin likes this.
  18. Gord

At some point I will update the October thread with my 400+ miles travelled over my vacation. :rolleyes:

Back home last night, non-motorway route, clocks have gone back in the UK at the weekend so it was getting dark at 16:30 and a lot busier :(, 48°F:
    19.8 miles - 231 Wh/mi or 4.5mi/kWh

To work this morning, non-motorway route, had a couple of right foot moments - wow, the acceleration is incredible! :cool:, 42°F:
    19.6 miles - 239 Wh/mi or 4.3mi/kWh

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  19. litesong

litesong litesong

Hope your battery pack longevity doesn’t decrease too much! :)

Gord likes this.
  20. EdwinTheMagnificent

I remember using that same logic when I was younger.

litesong, Gord and BillLin like this.