Car jerks when trying EOC

Discussion in 'General' started by EspElement, Dec 30, 2017.

1. EspElement

EspElement Well-Known Member

Hey guys! My car that I have drove and hypermiled for years is struggling to pass inspections. Preparing to move on from it... Will get the wife a new car and take her old one... But I am not too trilled. It is a Kia Spectra 08 automatic. When I try to EOC it from neutral it wants to kick. Almost like it isn't actually disengaging the tranny even in neutral. Thoughts here? Is this car not compatible with EOC? I know auto is not ideal for EOC.

Also where do I go to check if thiscar is "flat towable" maybe that proves it?

Thanks!
    Joshua

BillLin and xcel like this.
  2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Joshua:

Do not perform a FAS with any of the Hyundai/Kia vehicles. The ATs will not allow a smooth transition and you will cause damage.

Wayne

EspElement and BillLin like this.
  3. EspElement

I was fearful of that... Okay it is what it is... Thanks!

BillLin and xcel like this.
  4. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Here's one place that has towing guides for various model years.

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Bad news for many cars with automatics, including the Kia/Hyundai, as far as flat towing.

xcel and EspElement like this.
  5. puddleglum

puddleglum Well-Known Member

I have a Kia Rondo and I'll echo xcel, EOC is out unless it's just coasting to a stop from below 15 mph. I found even EOnC in neutral is iffy if you have to shift back to drive above 35 mph (really slams back into gear hard) and there is a lot of drag from the transmission when it is in gear. I think you're going to have to stick to less aggressive methods like DWL. Kia's were not optimized for hypermiling unfortunately. You could sell it as well and find a manual as an alternative.

xcel, BillLin and EspElement like this.
  6. EspElement

So neutral coast is almost out the question too eh? Has some body scuffs which is not very inviting to sell. Afraid I won't get much for it as a result. It has 140k miles on it. If I did get something else what would be a good low budget choice?

DWL? Been a while since I have been here. Had my red car down to mindless hypermiling so I haven't spent much time here. Excited to get back in here!

Thanks guys

xcel and BillLin like this.
  7. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

Back when I had an automatic in a Camry Solara, I did engine on coasting. Worked pretty well. I blipped the throttle before putting it back into drive. Whether that really did anything useful for the transmission, I don't know, but I felt better. :)

xcel likes this.
  8. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

I did a lot of engine-on casting in neutral with my 08 Civic automatic. It was effortless and went back into gear without trauma.
    I always waited about one second before accelerating again to make sure it was in gear. Other cars may not be so friendly.

BillLin likes this.
  9. EspElement

My last car was an automatic. It was fine with it too.

Looking at old civics now. I really want an old manual car!

BillLin likes this.
  10. puddleglum

Never had a car with as much trans drag as the Rondo. Coasting in neutral works okay in town, just not on highway. DWL is driving with load, trying to keep load low. I hear you about Kia's not holding their value.
    I've never owned a Honda but I doubt you can go wrong with one. I've been really happy with my Echo. Great for hypermiling and tons of room for a little car.

BillLin likes this.
  11. EdwinTheMagnificent

I drove an Echo in 1999 , I think. It was goofy-looking , but excellent. Today , it's not nearly as goofy as a lot of cars out there , lol.

BillLin likes this.
  12. puddleglum

Most all the reviewers say the Echo looks goofy or ugly, but call me weird, I rather like it. It's not beautiful by any means, but cute in a quirky way.

BillLin likes this.
  13. EdwinTheMagnificent

I agree 100% , Kevin. I should have bought one in 2000 , but I was busy going thru a divorce , lol.

puddleglum and BillLin like this.