3 tire tread seperations since January

Discussion in 'General' started by RJM, Jul 21, 2017.

1. RJM

RJM Member

I have 1 HTR enhance L/X and 2 HTR A/S P01 tires that have tread separation that I am trying to get replaced under warranty I bought these tires at TireRack and they informed me that I could go to any Sumitomo Dealer with a copy of the original invoices and I would be taken care of.. I called Tire Kingdom at the Searstown Mall Titusville, FL(321) 268-5772 and talked to the manager Eddie.He said that he would not replace my tires under warranty but to talk to TireRack.
    Attached Sumitomo Warranty section regarding where to get your tires serviced.
    ( under owner obligations)
    This is getting old, all three tires have less than 10,000 miles on them.
    Sending them back to TireRack will cost $15.00 each and another $15.00 for them to ship a new tire.
    How do I get the local Sumitomo dealership to honor the warranty that my attachment says to take to any authorized dealer?
    I E-mailed Sumitomo at info@sumitomotire.com and got this response

We are in receipt of your inquiry.
    We are a wholesale tire distributor of a variety of brands of tires including Sumitomo, not a tire manufacturer. For the Sumitomo of tires, the tire dealer that sold the tires would be the one to assist you with any tire issues.
    The tire dealer is responsible for inspecting the tire to determine what the issue is, and confirming that the issue and the tire are covered under any warranty. If so, the tire dealer then will execute the warranty and process any adjustments.
    We suggest you talk to TireRack for next steps, since they are ultimately responsible for assisting you in this process.

Thank you,

I can't seem to find anyway to contact Sumitomo Tire directly.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Letters to and from TireRack

Good afternoon, Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your tires. Are you referring to all 4 tire on both order having tread separation? The tires would need to be returned to us for warranty inspection and credit. As long as the tires are not down to 2/32 of tread and have true tread separation, the tire would be warranted for full credit less any shipping costs to return. Are you seeing the actual tread separating from the tire? The tire can also be taken to an authorized dealer in your area for a hands on inspection and they would handle the warranty claim for you. We thank you for your business. If you need further assistance or have any other questions, please contact our Customer Service Department and we'll be happy to assist you. We are available at 1-888-541-1777, extension 4360. Tamara Rafalski | Customer Service Representative __________________________________________________ ________ Tire Rack 7101 Vorden Parkway South Bend, IN 46628 O: 888 981 3953 ext. 4166 O: 574 287 2345 ext. 4166 F: 574 236 7707 tamara@tirerack.com Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels -----Original Message----- From: custsvc@tirerack.com [mailto:custsvc@tirerack.com] Sent: Monday, July 17, 2017 12:28 PM To: Customer Service <custsvc@tirerack.com> Subject: Question for Customer Service From www.tirerack.com Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by bobjmoran@netzero.net on Mon Jul 17 11:28:08 CDT 2017, tr-app14 User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0.0.1 Waterfox/54.0.0.1 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Name: Bob Moran Order Number: P399180 Message: Order numbers V858147,P399180 I have 2 HTR A/S P01 that I bought from you (P399180 HTR A/S P01 (H- or V-Speed Rated) (Qty:2) 06/17/2014 $142.06 Shipped) that have tread separation that are covered by Sumitomo Warranty http://www.sumitomotire.
    com/assets/products/performance/AS%20PO1_%20Limited%20Waranty.pdf
    For tires purchased before Aug 1 2014 Which states under exceptions, "Any HTR ZIII, HTR A/S P01, HTR T4 or LS T/H/V that becomes unserviceable due to a defect in workmanship and materials during the life of the original useable tread will be replaced free of charge." I also have 1 Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X (V858147 195/60R-15 Sumitomo HTR Enhance L/X (H-, V-, or W-Speed Rate (Qty:2) 08/01/2015 $149.08 Shipped) that has tread separation that are covered by Sumitomo Warranty http://www.sumitomotire.c
    om/assets/products/light%20truck/3609_TBCB_WARRANTY_Sumitomo%20Passenger-LT%20Limited%20Wa
    rranty%20%E2%80%93%200616LoRes.pdf
    Which states under exceptions, "Any HTR A/S P02, HTR ENHANCE LX/CX, HTR ZIII, HTR T4, TOURING LS T/H/V, TOURING LX or ENCOUNTER HT that becomes unserviceable due to a defect in workmanship and materials during the life of the original useable tread will be replaced free of charge." How can I return these tires to you for replacement?
    Last message to TireRack awaiting reply.

I have 1 HTR enhance L/X and 2 HTR A/S P01 tires that have tread separation that I am trying to get replaced under warranty. I called Tire Kingdom at the Searstown Mall Titusville, FL(321) 268-5772 and talked to the manager Eddie.He said that he would inspect the tires but TireRack would have to process the warranty.
    What is the next step?

Attached Files:

xcel and BillLin like this.
  2. BillLin

BillLin PV solar, geothermal HVAC, hybrids and electrics

xcel likes this.
  3. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi RJM:

It appears you were caught up in the fine print and Tirerack may be your only recourse. Who mounted and balanced them?

Wayne

BillLin likes this.
  4. RJM

RJM Member

The Dealership where I bought the car installed them. The car is a 2006 Chevy Cobalt LT that I bought new from Fischer Chevrolet in Titusville, Fl. After the GM reorganization they were no longer able to sell Chevrolet cars and are now called Fischer Nissan. In addition I had a front end alignment at the dealer at 100000 mi, I have 107000 mi now and have had three tires fail in the last three thousand miles. I only drive my car about 3000 mi A year now that I was laid-off in 2009 and this will make 7 Sumitomo tires from TireRack that have failed to reach 10,000 mi without the tread separating in the last 5 years. This year the two HTR A/S P01 that I bought 06/17/2014 were on the front wheels in failed Jan2017 and the HTR Enhance L/X that I bought 08/01/2015 was on the rear failed Jul2017.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  5. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

I have discovered through experience that any and all "tire warranties" are worth less than the paper they are printed on. Complete and utter BS. The warranty will NEVER be honored. I have tried more than once. My last episode involved the Firestone tires that came on my Dodge. By 10K miles, they were cupped so badly i couldn't stand to drive the thing any more. They still had over 50% of their tread remaining. The car was in perfect alignment, and the tires were inflated and rotated properly. Firestone's response? "these are high performance tires and are not warranted". High performance tires? On a 4 cylinder CVT equipped AWD Caliber? Are you friggin kidding me?
    Since my brother works for the dealer, and i buy a lot of cars there, he was able to get Chrysler to cover half the cost of a set of replacement Yokohama's. Those tires were still on the car when i sold it 35K miles later. They had half their tread left and were not cupped. Tire warranties are a joke.