2012 Elantra GLS battery

Discussion in 'General' started by schuylkill, May 9, 2017.

1. schuylkill

schuylkill Well-Known Member

I need a new battery. Any hot deals or hot batteries I should be aware of? This morning I78 was closed for about an hour for install of beams for a new overpass. When I went to start up, nothing. Unbelievably a tow rig saw my situation and had me started in minutes. I was stranded in the flow of traffic. Also the rig behind me was nice enough to stick around behind me with his flashers on while my car was jumped.

JonNC and BillLin like this.
  2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

The OEM battery in my Acura lasted 4 years. I went to a battery shop and replaced it with a Centennial battery which lasted 9 years (!) and would have lasted longer had I not accidentally discharged it by leaving a light on. I would go out of my way to get another Centennial battery.

3. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

The battery in my 08 Civic died at the worst possible place- red light , left lane , morning commute. I think I was in Park with (obviously) engine off. I found that you can't even shift into neutral without electricity. Had to have the car towed. The tow truck operator , a fine tattooed ex-con , had to winch it up on his flatbed, tires dragging. A painful ($$$) and unpleasant experience. The battery was almost exactly five years old. I think I'm going to look into a Centennial or other premium battery. I understand the Prius may not be real happy if/when the 12V dies , so I want to be pro-active about this.

4. schuylkill

schuylkill Well-Known Member

I bought a battery that night on the way home, got it at Walmart. It's an upgrade for cranking and cold cranking amps, and 3 year replacement then 2 years pro-rated. I've read that Johnson Controls makes the batteries for Walmart. The voltage read out on my ultragauge was bouncing around so I didn't want to wait. The most mechanical guy here at work gets his batteries at Walmart because of their no hassle warranty exchange.

JonNC and BillLin like this.