User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Fuel

Fuel Gasoline, Diesel, and Renewable fuel(s)

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Does premium fuel = better MPG?

Tags: , ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Vehicles: 1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4
Does premium fuel = better MPG?

Does premium fuel (which obviously cost more) have any mileage savings compaired to regular unleaded? Other than the "octane" ratings I dont really know what is different between the quality levels of gasoline.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Vehicles: 03 VW Jetta TDI, 05 Honda Civic Ex, 07 Honda Ruckus
Re: Does premium fuel = better MPG?

no, use what owners manual says to use
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Higher octane just has more additives to prevent pre-detonation (aka "pinging"). Because of that it actually has a lower energy density than regular gas (which doesn't have as many additives). For a car rated for regular gas, premium fuel will get you worse mileage (by a little). For a vehicle rated for premium fuel, most will "detune" a bit to accommodate lower octane fuel without "pinging." That can often have a FE hit associated with it.

In short, if you car does not call for premium fuel, don't use it. You'd just waste your money.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1994 V8 Dodge Dakota

Quick answer-

Fuel grades that have different octane ratings are totally different beasts in how they ignite and expand in the engine. The best mileage will be using the fuel YOUR engine is tuned for. Otherwise your just wasting gas.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM
My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback

I did my own experiment of 3 tanks each of 89 and 93 octane (my engine is rated for 87). I lost 4% of my MPG on 89 and 9% on 93.

My commute
Share the Road
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 02:01 PM

Vehicles: 03 VW Jetta TDI, 05 Honda Civic Ex, 07 Honda Ruckus

High compression ratios need higher octane to boost performance. Most cars are 86 octane min, and most min gas stations are 87. 87 will do you just fine. Even 85.5 they make in montana will work, has a nice ping to it
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

At higher elevation, you can get away with lower octane without knocking. That's why places like Montana and from personal experience, Flagstaff can get away with selling it.

Last edited by PaleMelanesian : 07-10-2008 at 12:05 PM.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Kaizen Driver

Vehicles: 2002 Toyota Corolla Verso 1.6 VVT-i Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BlueBlazer View Post
Does premium fuel (which obviously cost more) have any mileage savings compaired to regular unleaded? Other than the "octane" ratings I dont really know what is different between the quality levels of gasoline.

Try to figure out what your engines compression ratio is. My toyota engine has 10.5:1, and would require high octane if it was not for advanced engine technology.

So it will run OK on regular, but with high-octane I have a huge boost on below 2000 rpm torque which help me a lot to get high mileage with manual gearbox.

Low octane fuel burn faster, but that really is only a problem with high-rpm situations. For a hypermiler it is very beneficial to trot along at 1500 rpm and high gear-high load without the engine whasting 50% of the energy because of anti-knock safety kicking in.

If I fill low-octane fuel I can feel an annoying dip in the moment curve at around 2700 rpm.

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Super MPG Man/god :D

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Prius, 2000 Honda Insight 5MT

I just wanted to add my $.02 worth to everyone else comments and say that premium will only give better FE in an engine that is tuned for it. You will get the best FE with the octane the car was designed for. In older vehicles, the lowest octane you can find that won't cause pinging will get the best FE. I would be curious to see what would happen if I could put 85 octane or less in my Prius.

#10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi All:

___Let me add to Larry’s post. The MDX spec’s “Premium Recommended” and unless you are laying into it for the IGN to back off due to the KS, Premium is an absolute waste as regular unleaded will allow her 30 + on the highway at most any time of the year. My experience with regular unleaded in the MDX anyway?

___Good Luck

___Wayne