User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » In the News

In the News News items that may be of interest. These show up on the front page.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Subaru expanding R1e pilot program to NY

Tags: ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Insight
Subaru expanding R1e pilot program to NY

Operating range, according to Subaru, is 50 miles and the car boasts a top speed of 65 miles per hour.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/subarur1e.jpg
Alex Nunez - AutoblogGreen - March 17, 2008

The Subaru R1e takes on Times Sqaure as the world waits for the first affordable EV. Is the public willing to purchase them in quantity this time around? -- Ed.

That Subaru R1e caught driving the streets of Manhattan over the weekend foreshadows the expansion the car's field-test program to the United States. Subaru is expected to make a formal announcement within the next hour or so, but we can preview it for you here now. The New York Power Authority (NYPA) will receive two R1e vehicles to pilot in the same way the cars are being used in Japan.

To recap, the R1e is a full-EV version of the Japan-market R1 microcar. Driven by a 40 kW motor powered by a Li-Ion battery pack, the R1e is being field-tested by employees of both the Tokyo Electric Power Comany and NEC Lamilion Energy, Limited. The Japanese government lauded this effort last year. There are currently forty of the cars in service in Japan and Subaru hopes to bump that number to one hundred. When connected to a quick-charger station that's also part of the pilot testing, an 80% charge can be achieved in just 15 minutes. When plugged into a standard household outlet, the car will fully recharge in 8 hours or so. Operating range, according to Subaru, is 50 miles and the car boasts a top speed of 65 miles per hour.

The R1e will be on display at the 2008 New York Auto Show starting this weekend, and we'll update this post with Subaru and NYPA's formal announcement as soon as it hits the wires... [Read More]

Last edited by xcel : 03-18-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 10:43 AM

Vehicles: Wife says I have too many cars.
Re: Subaru expanding R1e pilot program to NY

If/when they announce that the R1e is to go on sale in the US, I will be the first at the dealer with my deposit. Go Subaru!!!!

Best daily commute: 28.4 miles @ 98.4mpg
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Vehicles: 04 Prius, 97 Paseo

I'd be interested provided I could plug in at work...
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'd be interested provided I could plug in at work...
I've already negotiated with our utilities dept. here at work, and they have given me approval to plug in an electric car during the day. I'm hoping to be the first employee to actually show up with a fully functional EV.

Now, all I need is a suitcase full of money to get things started

#5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Vehicles: 1998 Toyota 4 Runner, Auto Trans - 2000 Saturn SL, 5 speed manual, 2002 VW Golf 5 speed manual

The comments at the end of the article questions if the car will ever be available here. One comment states that it definitely will not.

The big 3 don't want or need this competing with their profitability. They will figure a way to keep it out, trust me.

The oil industry also sees this as a direct threat to their "windfall profits". They will help the big 3 keep it out.

The car has little or no chance here. They are just too strong.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: Bike Friday Tikit; 10 Prius III/Nav; 13 Nissan Leaf SV/QC

Heck, I could average 1 to 2 WEEKS per charge. It would be great. Is it a 2 seater or just the driver seat?

Problems:

1) It's pretty much an extra vehicle, and, cars being large ticket items, it's a bit tough to right-size the investment in guzzlers and keep the mice out of them for occaisional use. Still recall rewiring the grain trucks each year before harvest, jump-starting or pull-starting them, etc. Anyone know what these EVs might cost?

2) Where do you put an extra vehicle? Garage is full, kid parks in the driveway.

3) Other EVs have weak dealer networks. Subura would have an advantage there...

4) I still cannot buy one.

Start your journey to better fuel economy here:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19408
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX

These EV's really need to have 100 mile ranges if they ever want to catch on.

So, do you think this Subaru features AWD and a horizontally opposed electric motor?

They need to bring that new diesel engine they made here. Can't believe I haven't seen any articles on it on this website yet either.

#8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lastick View Post
The comments at the end of the article questions if the car will ever be available here. One comment states that it definitely will not.

The big 3 don't want or need this competing with their profitability. They will figure a way to keep it out, trust me.

The oil industry also sees this as a direct threat to their "windfall profits". They will help the big 3 keep it out.

The car has little or no chance here. They are just too strong.
I might have agreed with you about "The big 3" a few years ago, but as sad as it is, the big 3 don't exist in the capacity that they used to. In fact now that Toyota has bumped Chrysler out of the "big 3", the Big 3 simply does not exist anymore. Furthermore, Toyota owns 9% or so of Subaru, so having the soon to be largest and most profitable car manufacturer in the world backing you, means it stands a very good chance of coming to the US if the demand is there.

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

Vehicles: 2005 Toyota Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksstathead View Post
Heck, I could average 1 to 2 WEEKS per charge. It would be great. Is it a 2 seater or just the driver seat?

Problems:

1) It's pretty much an extra vehicle, and, cars being large ticket items, it's a bit tough to right-size the investment in guzzlers and keep the mice out of them for occaisional use. Still recall rewiring the grain trucks each year before harvest, jump-starting or pull-starting them, etc. Anyone know what these EVs might cost?

2) Where do you put an extra vehicle? Garage is full, kid parks in the driveway.

3) Other EVs have weak dealer networks. Subura would have an advantage there...

4) I still cannot buy one.
That would be an interesting poll.

Who can (or will) use one as their sole vehicle vs additional vehicle.

At what price does it become economical as an additional vehicle. Seems I saw prices for the Zenn EV around 15K but they were I believe a lot less capable than the R1e.

Where I'm at another vehicle means 1 goes out on the street a block away, I won't want to do that, even if I could afford one. A Honda Ruckus is a much more affordable option when I don't need the truck. Still haven't replace my bicycle that got stolen last spring.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 03-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Vehicles: 1999 Prius NHW10

As the R1e was developed with Tokyo electric power company TEPCO, which sets a minimum requirement that the EV should have a range of 80km (50miles) and be fast charge capable. As most of TEPCO daily driving distances are low with easy access to fast charge staying close to this specification is important. TEPCO plan to issue a purchase order for 3,000 EVs and the battery itself is probably the largest cost.

Good Luck
Andrew