User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Emissions

Emissions Emissions and emissions reduction related discussion.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Cooking rice: save some energy

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Cooking rice: save some energy

I can't believe I never noticed this before but tonight I realized that different types of rice require different cooking times. For example, long grain brown rice takes 35-40 minutes to cook while basmati white rice only takes 20 minutes. In our case both are organic products so no pre-processing has taken place which might skew the cooking times.

Simmering a pot of liquid on a stove burner requires a large handful of energy, and halving the cooking time nearly halves that energy requirement.

One may think, "This won't make a big difference.", but it certainly does. The month we started cooking at home more and making enough to have leftovers for lunches and such our combined power bill went up by $40. Almost all of that was on the stove top as we baked little at that time.

Let's also remember that Natural Gas, like oil, is a finite resource so conservation is essential.

My commute
Share the Road

Last edited by BailOut : 02-21-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1994 V8 Dodge Dakota
Re: Cooking rice: save some energy

Also, as far as energy requirements go, microwave~NG. Electric stovetops=$$$.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 09:31 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Brian:

___In the winter, could it not be said that the stove top also heats the home as a secondary benefit? A burning gas from the stovetop is heat released entirely into the kitchen vs. a gas furnace with its less than 100% efficiency?

___In the summer, the short cook time rice sounds like the exact ticket and yet another one of your own “thinking outside the box” moments!

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 03 Ranger(mostly), 13 Spark(sometimes)

People like me who keep a pot of water going on their woodstove all winter don't notice much energy use difference from throwing a little rice in it. I'm guessing that the net winter power costs of cooking at home are quite small once you count the benefit of the "waste" heat. That's why I mainly brew beer in the winter.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Times my Mileage by Six

Vehicles: Mazda5 Sport Auto

So how does the cook time vary with the actual nutritional value of the rice? Does it take less time for rice with less calories? Could you get away with less amount of one type of rice to get the same nutritional value and lower the energy use to cook.

That might keep you busy while I eat a hamburger.

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi Rex:

___After the GHG Cheeseburger emissions thread today, you suck

___Good Luck

___Wayne
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 PM

Vehicles: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sdn AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILAveo View Post
That's why I mainly brew beer in the winter
You brew indoors, too? I have one of the few gas stoves I've ever seen capable of 6 gal full boils.
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid

It's not just the input, but the benefit received that counts too. Don't discount which rice may provide the greater nutrition and satisfaction. The white rice may cook faster but just give you a short term glycemic boost where the brown rice may take longer to digest, have more nutrients and fiber, and you won't get hungry again as quick.

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 AM
One owner, low mileage

Vehicles: 2005 Prius

I'm with Tarabell on this one. I normally give preference to whole grain foods, including rice, bread, and pasta. If it takes longer to cook, so be it.

Wayne's point about seasonal cooking seems valid, and I do try to reduce stove-top and oven cooking in the summer.

#10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-22-2008, 04:53 AM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2000 Insight,2010 Insight,2010 Prius Solar,2012 Volt Premium

Don't forget to factor times meals are prepared at home versus previous month times meals were eaten at home. Dollars spent eating out per week/month compared to total spent at home for food/energy.