User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

Home
CleanMPG Staff
Articles
Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

More Reviews
Gallery
Mileage Logs

CleanMPG Store

Calendar
Glossary
Garage
Files

Research
Related Sites

Archives
Arcade

Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Hybrid Owners Community » Ford Escape Hybrid

Ford Escape Hybrid Everything and anything relating to the Ford Escape or Mercury mariner Hybrid.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

FEH - No Start

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: '05 FEH FWD and '09 FEH FWD
FEH - No Start

Well, I've started two other threads because of having to have my FEH towed to the dealership because it would not start. Thought I'd better start a new thread with a better title so people could find the answer easier as it relates to "will not start".

Towing (3 times), repair hours, a 12V battery and $36 in relays cost me ~$1250 and 10 days without a vehicle. I feel it's important that you learn from my experiences and save yourself some money and a big headache in the future if it happens to your FEH/MMH. The Hybrid Tech and Ford's Hotline say this was the first time they've seen 3 main relays go bad like this, and they wanted details of any thing I was doing that could caused the relays to go bad. Nothing I told them explained what the cause was, so they gave me a spare relay so if it happens again, I could change it myself and get started again. There are 5 relays, and are all the same and cost $12 each. They are located in the Battery Junction Box behind the engine air filter and can be changed without tools in seconds.

Take off the cover and you will see the relays on the left and fuses and stuff on the right.

From the back to the front in order are Relays 001-005, here's what they are:

001 Relay - Power Sustain Relay (mine was bad)

002 Relay - PCM power relay (mine was bad)

003 Relay - Injector relay ( mine was bad)

004 Relay - Heater Pump relay

005 Relay - M/E coolant pump relay

The power sustain relay controls charging the HV battery with the generator and regen. The PCM power relay powers the PCM and the Injector relay can prevent fuel for starting as the engine turns over.

These relays can be interchanged, but the only one safe to remove and drive the vehicle is the Heater pump relay. The heater pump only comes on in EV while the belt driven coolant pump stops. I may pull that relay to save energy and keep the engine hot in EV anyway if I don't get a warning light. You can also turn the climate control system off like I do to keep the heater pump off in EV.

If your engine will not start, you may want to plan a head and get at least one spare relay to try to trouble shoot to get going again.

GaryG
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-18-2007, 06:47 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
Re: FEH - No Start

Hi Gary:

___Can you upload some pics for current and future FEH owners to give them a better idea about what you are describing?

___Thanks in advance!

___Wayne
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel View Post
Hi Gary:

___Can you upload some pics for current and future FEH owners to give them a better idea about what you are describing?

___Thanks in advance!

___Wayne
That's a good idea Wayne, I'll take some pics in daylight, but I may need help putting them in this thread.

GaryG
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT

Oh man, Gary. You have really suffered at Ford's hands lately! I'm glad that you have your vehicle back, but what a price!!

Thank you so much for sharing so that no one else has to go through what you have in the last couple of months!

I can help with the photos if you like.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Wagon nut. Approach with caution.

Vehicles: 2009 Volvo V70

Wow. I'd like to see those pics of the relays, especially the supplier. I'd like to know where they're buying their junk parts!
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
My favorite holiday is Earth Day!

Vehicles: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback

Was that not covered by warranty, Gary? It makes me mad that that cost you a penny!

My commute
Share the Road
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 PM

Vehicles: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid

Gary, was there any visible sign the relays were bad? I mean, were they burnt or something else?
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Gary, was there any visible sign the relays were bad? I mean, were they burnt or something else?
They took the injector relay apart and pointed out signs of carbon build-up. Ford requested the dealership to ship my PCM power relay to them for evaluation. I've got the injector and the power sustain relay from the first time the FEH would not start. I didn't have time to take the pictures Wayne ask for today, but I will include a shot of the carbon on the injector relay when I get to it.

GaryG
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 AM
ФЕХ Царйца

Vehicles: 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD

Hi Gary --

Thanks again for the benefit of your experience in not just the good things about our FEH's , but also the problems

While I've learned something about walking into a dealer service dept. ready to show them what I know, it helps to be able to suggest a possibility for the tech(s) to look at

Debbie

I my FEH
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 10-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieKatz View Post
Hi Gary --

Thanks again for the benefit of your experience in not just the good things about our FEH's , but also the problems

While I've learned something about walking into a dealer service dept. ready to show them what I know, it helps to be able to suggest a possibility for the tech(s) to look at
Your welcome Debbie.

I took a few pictures of where the relays are at and tried to show the area where the carbon was on the contacts. The tech had taken apart the fuel injector relay to explain to ford what it looked like. The picture didn't come out good enough to see the carbon because of being so small.

Also took a picture of the manual that describes what relay serves what. These relays just plug in, so having a spare in the clove box might be a good idea.

The photos are in my photo gallery, but if anyone wants to post them in this thread, go right ahead.

GaryG