User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Fuel Economy

Fuel Economy Discuss how to achieve better fuel economy.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Want to know more about Driving with Load (DWL)?

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 1996 Toyota Corolla
Want to know more about Driving with Load (DWL)?

Hi,

We have lots of hills-- and a lot of times there isn't all that much traffic. This concept makes a lot of sense here. I want to learn more about doing this. I know the basic concept, I think. You keep a steady acceleration and don't accelerate up the hill (unless necessary I guess) and basically you could NICE-on coast if you wanted down (if the hill goes down enough).

Any thing else for a newbie hypermiler.

--des

Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Vehicles: '12 LEAF SL, '02 Insight 5spd MT
Re: Want to know more about Driving with Load (DWL)?

Yes, don't think of it as a steady acceleration up the hill. Think of it instead as trying to keep the engine using the same amount of gas on the way up and letting gravity assist you on the way down so you use less gas. The best approximation to get you going is it keep a steady pressure on the gas pedal. Sort of like the poor man's cruise control in the old VW Bus where you would wedge a pine board against the pedal to maintain speed. All that really did was maintain a pedal position. The result? You would go slower up a hill and faster down the other side.

Try that as a start. If there really isn't anyone around, the most efficient way to crest a hill is with just barely enough momentum to get you over it. If the car can FAS this is ideal. If not, just let it get down to the speed that is still more efficient than idle consumption and coast over in neutral (if possible).

I generally will ease off the pedal a bit with moderate hills so I use less gas going up, then coast as much as possible on the other side. Sometimes that means I have to give it a quick acceleration at the top and then coast as far as I can down. Approaching a hill you want to accelerate on the flatter land as then you aren't spending even more gas fighting gravity on your way up the hill.

<-- She got to drive an EV before I did!!

I'm a slow driver with a FASed car!

New? Start here!
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 04 prius

Sometimes pushing just a little harder helps keep speed more
even over hills, but I consider that there's probably a range
that staying inside of will roughly equate to "pure" DWL and
still return better MPG than blasting up hills. The Prius
certainly exhibits such a range, up to maybe 2400 rpm and
the Prius control strategy always keeps the engine in a high
torque scenario so it's sort of automatically DWLing in high
gear all the time anyways. I think it would help to clarify
exactly what is meant by "with load" in the spirit of the
original definition, since several discussions seem to
advocate very *light* loads [low torque?] as part of this and
yet we know that higher torque tends to keep an engine
higher on the BSFC map. In other words, which is it??
_H*
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 03' Honda Civic Hybrid

That might have to do with the CVT and motor being able to compensate, but for a normal engine I would think keeping throttle position the same while going over the hill would be best.
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Veteran

Thanks-- can the Scan Gauge help you do this or no? Does the rpms tell you anything?

I am not doing FAS, I wouldn't do NICE-on because if I don't do something right I hear a nasty noise. This sounds suspiciously like stripping gears and is about as pleasant as chalk on a chalk board?

RL Drifter: I didn't mean steady acceleration but you got my drift anyway. :-) Of course, it is clearly *not* steady acceleration or you would go gradually faster. Of course, I am thinking you will end up going slower and slower. So Hobbit it isn't really gradual acceleration even if that is what I actually said. Sorry to confuse. :-)

I didn't know about the VW bus thing. I never had one. (Surprise given my age and so on I suppose.)

--des

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Vehicles: 2007 Vue Greenline

I watch the throttle position (TP) with the scan gauge for taking hills.

#7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Veteran

I think we are online at the same time now. I don't see a chat thing here, but can you tell me a little bit more about how you do this. I am new to SG (1st day really) and hypermiling.

--des

Quote:
Originally Posted by firenurse4 View Post
I watch the throttle position (TP) with the scan gauge for taking hills.

#8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Desdemona, the "gauge" setting on your SGII has configurable readouts -- 4 in fact. If you press the button next to one of the readouts you will cycle through the different gauges available. One of them is TPS -- Throttle Position Sensor. That uses a range of numbers which differs from car to car. Mine reads 5 with no pressure at all up to something over 20 for wide open throttle (pedal to the metal!! ). If you have that readout up you can pick a number and make sure it does not change to be sure that the pedal is always in the same position.

I find that with most hills (unless they are very slight indeed) I have to add at least a little pressure to keep from dropping below a safe speed for the traffic. If you are all alone, just make sure you can get over the hill.

New? Start here!
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Veteran

This is very understandable (unlike my initial post :-)). I even printed it out and am going to look at my SG for it.

BTW, I know a certain teenager that uses 20 to back up out of the driveway!

--des

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Lane Cruiser View Post
Desdemona, the "gauge" setting on your SGII has configurable readouts -- 4 in fact. If you press the button next to one of the readouts you will cycle through the different gauges available. One of them is TPS -- Throttle Position Sensor. That uses a range of numbers which differs from car to car. Mine reads 5 with no pressure at all up to something over 20 for wide open throttle (pedal to the metal!! ). If you have that readout up you can pick a number and make sure it does not change to be sure that the pedal is always in the same position.

I find that with most hills (unless they are very slight indeed) I have to add at least a little pressure to keep from dropping below a safe speed for the traffic. If you are all alone, just make sure you can get over the hill.

#10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Penguin of Notagascar

Glad to help!!

Just to be sure we are on the same page, this is the screen I was referring to:

(Pulled from http://scangauge.com)

I don't remember what mine defaulted to but you can change the readouts to whatever you like.

Keep asking questions if you get confused!

New? Start here!