User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Clean MPG Topics » Start Your Journey Here

Start Your Journey Here Introductions and post the details of your vehicle and commute here. The experts will help get you up to speed by simplifying a lot of the techniques and helping you apply them to your specific situation.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

98 Chevy Cheyenne

Tags: , ,

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-16-2007, 01:34 AM

98 Chevy Cheyenne

hello everyone,
i drive a '98 chevy cheyenne. a gas guzzler, yes. a pain at the pump, naturally. i have a twenty gallon tank and get about 400 miles to a tank, so that equals out to about 20 mpg at its best. i do not know if this is exceptional for a vehichle of this type or not. i know i am certainly not happy with its mpg though. i drive about 20 miles a day to work (and back), so about a total of 40 miles a day, which equals out to about 6 dollars a day to get to my job. so i appreciate any help/tips/suggestions, anything at all.

Cory
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-16-2007, 04:03 AM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII
Re: 98 Chevy Cheyenne

Welcome to CleanMPG!

If this makes you feel anybetter just remember that for each 1mpg improvement you make, you are saving 3-4 times the money Prius and Insight drivers are making.

If you don't already know about ScanGage, it's a great tool (at www.scangage.com ). It gives you rea-time fuel consumption, and about 20 other bits of info - way beyond the three-gage cluster and only needs a plug into a socked under your steering column and some velcro tape (supplied with the kit). Like it so much I've upgraded from ScanGage I to ScanGage II!
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-16-2007, 07:31 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi CCES 2009:

___You can improve your FE in anything including a full-sized P/U truck but in this case, there may be an alternative … Depending on your total miles traveled, gasoline may be costing you more then the gas and payment on a newer and more efficient automobile? A friend of mine, Jesus parked his somewhat beat, V8 equipped gas guzzling Ford F-150 (15 - 18 mpg) at 300 miles per week and purchased a relatively stripped down Yaris for $12,500. Once I pointed out the math on keeping the beast going (it was beginning to nickel and dime him to death) at $3.00 + per, the light bulb went off. Not less then a week later, a new Toyota Yaris was in his drive for his daily commuter. He still uses the F-150 for his businesses but not more then 20 miles per week now vs. 300 + previously. A prominent member here (Brick) was driving an older Accord w/ a stick and after doing the math over a 5-year payback period, he now owns a Prius-II. I am not saying you have to downsize to a much more fuel efficient automobile as 20 in a Cheyenne is decent but at maybe 250 miles per week including your commute and a few Saturday and Sunday drives, just consider it is all.

___And about moving that thing up the scale, by all means as we have a lot to offer … The 98 half ton with the 6 and a stick was rated at 17/23. It gets worse as you move down the list of course. A 20 mpg combined is decent FE if you happen to own that ICE and tranny combo? First, it is time to start recording your FE data. Without knowing exactly what you are pulling tank over tank currently, you have no baseline for which to improve upon. After 2 tanks or so, you will become quite adept at recording the data and enjoying the fruits of your new found habits. I would press up your tires immediately. A minimum of MAX sidewall is a good start. On her next oil change, give her the lightest weight oil recommended for that ICE and maybe a new air filter will take care of the maintenance side of the equation. An SG-II for feedback will pay for itself in no time and the techniques we have spelled out are as sound as a rock.

___As for P/U truck drives, watch SlowHands. He moved up in his Ranger P/U mightily. Not 6 months ago, he was running in the low to mid 20’s. He is now punching out 40 mpg segments while throwing the book at her. I would say the Cheyenne could be worth 30 mpg with a little less effort but that remains to be seen. I would prefer everyone including yourself ease into hypermiling as it is not something that can be achieved overnight without learning, practicing on back roads for safety’s sake and then applying what you have learned to your daily grind. Safety first as we have had a few new members go right for the big numbers and blasted through stop signs w/out brakes and such not knowing what the heck they were doing The numbers will not come using that approach anyway so ease into it with whatever you feel comfortable with and look at it as a continuous improvement process. In 3 or 6 months, you could become the most fuel efficient Cheyenne driver on the Continent if not the Planet if you take this to heart. We don’t have many Cheyenne drivers around these parts as you can tell so becoming #1 in that segment should be pretty easy

___I hope you enjoy what you have seen here at CleanMPG. Ease into it by take each technique as a new opportunity to make yourself a better albeit safer driver by becoming more attentive to your surroundings and how it/they interact with your goals. The numbers will definitely come but we want to make sure your Cheyenne arrives home each and every day in the same condition it left in the morning. That goes for you too

___Good Luck and welcome to CleanMPG.

___Wayne
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Hypermiling Ironman

Vehicles: 96 Ranger 5MT, 98 Ranger AT, 92 Ford Van AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel View Post
Hi CCES 2009:
___As for P/U truck drives, watch SlowHands. He moved up in his Ranger P/U mightily. Not 6 months ago, he was running in the low to mid 20’s. He is now punching out 40 mpg segments while throwing the book at her.

___Wayne
(SlowHands blushes deep beet red) Thanks Wayne! Well, actually I've only been at this since the beginning of May, and the 96 typically was 19-21 mpg... and now pretty consistently for the regular commutes I'd say mid-30s, and I do indeed have probably about 8-10 times now of over 40mpg.

I think you could indeed be surprised with what you can do with that truck, ScanGauge is definitely your friend. Take the mild techniques first, they can make a noticeable difference. Good luck to you!