User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » In the News

In the News News items that may be of interest. These show up on the front page.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Reveal Includes a 2.8L Turbo Diesel

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-22-2013, 12:37 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
2015 Chevrolet Colorado Reveal Includes a 2.8L Turbo Diesel

Smaller midsize truck with a smaller turbo diesel should create one heck of a story once it arrives.

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Nov. 20 2013

The 2015 Chevrolet Colorado reveal from the floor of the LA Auto Show.

On Wednesday morning Chevrolet unveiled its all-new midsize 2015 Chevrolet Colorado pickup that is expected to deliver best in class power, payload, tow ratings and even fuel economy.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Drivetrain

The Chevrolet Colorado will be equipped with a standard direct injected 193 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque 2.5L I4 or optional direct injected 302 hp and 270 lb-ft of torque 3.6L V6 are both mated to 6-speed ATs. A 6-speed MT will be available on the extended cab 2WD Work Truck. That could prove to be an interesting vehicle too.

With the 3.6L V6 and a low ratio rear end, it is said to have a tow rating of as high as 6,700 pounds.

Where it really gets interesting is a small displacement 2.8L turbo diesel is scheduled for sometime in 2015. Anyone think 34 mpg or more highway rating and 50 + mpg available to us? The Cruze TD and its 2.0L TD proved to be the most exceptional high speed fuel economy machine we have ever driven. Could the 2.8L prove to be just as eye opening? GMs latest offerings including the 24 mpgUS highway rated AFM based 4.3L in the 2014 Silverado easily provided a mid 30’s result. Do the math and it looks very promising. The Fuel Economy of a midsize with all the capabilities of a truck sure sounds good to me!

Configurations and Trims

The 2015 Colorado will arrive as an extended cab model with a 6-foot bed, a crew cab with a 5-foot bed and a crew cab with a 6-foot bed. With the tailgate down, the 6-foot bed allows hauling of 8-foot-long items.

A WT, LT and Z71 trim will be available in either a 2WD or 4WD configuration.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado on the show stand

Details

The Colorado features triple-sealed doors inlaid in the body sides. The 2014 Silverado proved to be the quietest large pickup we have driven and I suspect no less from the upcoming 2015 Colorado.

To help keep its mass down, the Colorado features an aluminum hood. It also features the segment’s only active aero grille shutters, which close at higher speeds to improve aerodynamics.

Like the 14 Silverado, the 15 Colorado is equipped with the excellent CornerStep rear bumper. The damped EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate we saw on the 14 Silverado. A standard two-tier platform splits the bed into an upper and lower sections while loads can be tied down from 13 tie-down locations loaded strategically in the bed.

Inside

The cabin includes a sculpted headliner that improves headroom, halo lighting on some controls. It will arrive with sculpted door panels, upper-instrument panel storage bin (when not equipped with the uplevel audio system) and large glove box.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Interior

An 8 in. color touch screen is standard in the LT and Z71 trims including multiple USB drives. The instrument cluster incorporates a 3.4 in. driver information screen. GMs next generation OnStar and MyLink with gesture recognition and natural language voice recognition will be part of the package.

Safety

Front, side, and side curtain airbags handle the passive crash safety. A standard rear-vision camera takes care of the backing out problem.

On the active safety front, the new Colorado will be fitted with ESC with rollover mitigation, trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control on the Z71. An optional forward collision alert and lane departure warning system will be available.

Four-wheel discs featuring GMs Duralife rotors with up to double the service life will be standard.

Early Conclusions?

The crew cab appears to have about 115 cu. ft. of interior volume which is just as large as any standard midsize sedan. Having a bed adds all of the utility. Even the 2.5L with the stick would prove to be exceptionally fuel efficient although I suspect it would be geared to low to meet our expectations. The 2.8L Turbo diesel however could prove to be the game changer that brings an every day use family sized vehicle with the capability of the pickup. Something Pickups are very hard pressed to offer today. The 2014 RAM 1500 equipped with the 3.0L EcoDiesel not withstanding.
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired
Re: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Reveal Includes a 2.8L Turbo Diesel

This is about the same size as the 80's model C1500. It ain't no "small" truck. It's a smaller truck, and that is a good thing. If they do end up offering the diesel, I'd have to do test drives between this and a Tacoma to know which I'd prefer.

if I were to buy a truck...
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Veteran

Vehicles: 2010 VW Golf TDI

Wonder why they are using the 3.6 instead of the newly updated 4.3. More efficient?

#4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-22-2013, 01:47 PM

Vehicles: 13 Volt, 12 Express Cargo

Wonder what the pricing is going to be? $40,000+ for a crew cab diesel?
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Beat the System

Vehicles: 2009 Fit, 2004 Odyssey, 96 Civic retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by seftonm View Post
Wonder why they are using the 3.6 instead of the newly updated 4.3. More efficient?
That's what I read somewhere, yes.
  #6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Caliente!

Vehicles: '00 Echo, '09 H-D Nightster, '11 Kia Rio

The 3,6 never struck me as being that efficient, though. Between the 3,6l-powered Traverses and 5,3l Tahoes I used to be able to compare along the same routes (using the factory FCD, anyway), I was hardly able to best the Tahoes. Both garnered around 21-22mpg, compared to ~37 for Altimas and V6 Mustangs, ~41 for Sonatas, ~45 for Fiestas and 1,4T Cruzes, etc.

LOVE to hear about the TD in this! We sorely need more like it.

-James

Last edited by jcp123 : 11-22-2013 at 09:05 PM.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-23-2013, 01:52 PM
George

Vehicles: 2012 Prius C Trim 4 /w Sunroof 16" Alloy

I never checked out any of the GMC trucks but next year will look over that diesel.

#8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 11-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Vehicles: 2012 hyundai elantra touring

I have been waiting for a vehicle of this type for years and years. The Mahindra story was downright depressing. I would like a 2.0L 4cyl TDI 6MT regular cab , with eye popping torque and mpg please. Oh yeah and an extra large gas err fuel tank.
  #9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Vehicles: 2012 hyundai elantra touring

GM now says 6MT will be more available across the product line than previously announced. This will make the choice between gas or diesel more interesting. Is the 2.4L I4 going to be GDI? I am curious , although durability, range and MPGs make the 2.8L GDI 6MT my choice.
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 AM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)

Hi All:

Really good stuff!

I spoke with Chevrolet's Head of Consumer Affairs, James Bell for about a minute in Chicago. It sounds that there is a lot of interest in the 2.8L TD. Chevrolet is moving the launch date for it up a few weeks to Spring/Summer of 2015. IIRC, they were talking summer of 2015 previously.

Wayne