User Name Password    
CleanMPG, Learn to raise fuel economy and lower emissions in whatever you drive.  
MENU
• What is hypermiling? •
CleanMPG to AAA:
• Hypermiling Rebuttal •

• Home
• CleanMPG Staff
• Articles
• Fuel Economy Forums
      • Register
Go Hypermiling!

Car Reviews:

2013 Elantra GT

2013 Elantra Coupe

2013 Lexus ES 300h

2013 Mazda CX-5

2013 Lexus GS 450h

2012 Prius c

2013 Malibu Eco

2012 Hyundai Accent
   Bike and Gear Reviews:

HTC Thunderbolt

2010 R 1200 GS (A)

Kawasaki KLX250SF

Zero S

Aerostich Darien

Shoei Hornet DS

Honda CRF230L

Yamaha XT250

• More Reviews
• Gallery
• Mileage Logs

• CleanMPG Store

• Calendar
• Glossary
• Garage
• Files

• Research
• Related Sites

• Archives
• Arcade

• Monthly Fuel Efficient •
Vehicle Sales Figures

ScanGauge with X-Gauge: $159.95

Pre-programming, a CleanMPG laser cut decal, and shipping included!

Even better value for members only is available in the latest SG-II w/ X-Gauge Group Buy purchase thread.

While we strive to provide only the highest quality information through our members' offerings, if you find the information provided valuable, please consider a donation so that we can offer an even better experience for the membership and guests well into the future.

Thank you

-Wayne Gerdes
Owner/Admin
CleanMPG

Home Fuel Economy Forums Gallery Mileage Logs

FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   CleanMPG Forums » Information » Articles

Articles CleanMPG Articles discussion.
Only Moderators may start threads, but anyone can read and respond to them.

Welcome to the CleanMPG forums.

Some posts may describe situations which may in some cases be unsafe or illegal in some jurisdictions. Please use common sense and consult your local laws to make sure you do not hurt yourself or others or break any laws.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions, articles and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Saving Gas By Hypermiling

#1   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-10-2007, 11:59 PM
PZEV, there's nothing like it :)

Vehicles: Accord, Ranger, and anything else ;)
Saving Gas By Hypermiling

CleanMPG Hypermilers Jeff Townsley (Psyshack) and Randall Burkhalter (Highwater) were featured on Tulsa’s Channel 6 News at 10:00.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Randall_and_a_105_mpg_segment.jpg
Scott Thompson - KOTV - May 10, 2006

One hypermiler regularly goes 100 miles on one gallon of gas, and has even gone more than 1,500 miles on one tank of gas.

As seen last night on KOTV - Channel 6 - Tulsa. Oklahoma Drivers Take Fuel Efficiency To The Extreme.

Gas has dropped a penny, but it’s still almost $3 a gallon. It's not a record in Tulsa, but this week, the national average did hit a record $3.07 a gallon. In San Francisco, the price is over $4.30, and Monday some analysts were predicting $4 a gallon nationwide by summer. On Wednesday they upped that estimate to $5. Had enough? Well, Friday morning, pause before you blow past that car on the highway, and consider that the driver may be saving lots of money and gasoline, while you're not. News On 6 anchor Scott Thompson reports on the driving techniques of hypermilers.

Friday afternoon and Jeff Townsley is beginning his drive home from work. Forty-two miles lie between his east Tulsa office and his Okmulgee home, but he's not dreading the trip. In fact, every time he gets behind the wheel, he sees it as his chance to stick it to OPEC. And he says you can, too.

"So many of these tactics and techniques are so basic and so simple that all it requires is good vehicle maintenance and slowing down," hypermiler Jeff Townsley said.

Jeff's what's known as a hypermiler, he's determined to squeeze the highest gas mileage he can out of his Honda Civic. And just two blocks into the trip, he starts saving money by shifting to neutral.

"See, we've got a red light down here, there's not much of a reason to go after, we're just gonna shut the car off," said Townsley.

Yep, he's turned the motor off, but kept the battery power on, and he's coasting toward the entrance ramp to U.S. Highway169. It's a trick he tries at every stoplight.

"Ha, lookee there, we've got a green light," Townsley said.

"So it's anticipation?" asked News On 6 anchor Scott Thompson.

"Anticipation, timing, some of my hypermiling friends would have considered this too hot of an approach, but as a hypermiler I'm kind of on the hot side," Townsley said.

Hypermilers like Jeff drive extremely focused. They always stay at the speed limit or below, and don't let the stares, gestures and honking bother them.

"Now everybody's passing us. That's fine," he said. "Is that the way it always is?" Thompson asked.

"That's the way it always is," replied Townsley. "When people are giving you hand signals and honking at you, you just grin at 'em because hey, you can get all mad and you're driving a car capable of 40 miles per gallon and you're getting 23, I know you are, hey, I'm havin' a good day, I'm pushing 50."

"If you'd had told me I could have gotten 100 miles per gallon in a car, I'd have told you you were crazy," said hypermiler Randy Burkhalter.

Over in Perry, the king of Oklahoma hypermilers is starting his commute, too. When Randy Burkhalter got a job in town, it meant a 90 mile roundtrip from his home in Blackwell. So he parked his pickup and bought a used Honda Insight, a hybrid gasoline-battery powered car. And then he learned the techniques of hypermiling, which means turning the long, lonesome highway into a roller-coaster, shifting to neutral, turning off the engine and letting inertia carry the car.

"We're in neutral. We have no RPM's, we're at 42 miles per hour and our fuel economy across the bottom is pegged at over 150, this is instantaneous at the bottom, this is since we first began the trip 11 miles ago," Burkhalter said.

Both men practice ridge riding. That's hugging the right-side white line. It keeps the car out of the ruts in the road, and in wet weather that saves gas. Both men also plan their routes to avoid construction, congestion, left-hand turns, backing-up, braking and traffic signals. For Jeff, it means taking back roads to avoid Glenpool's stoplights.

"By and large, I stay away from it if at all possible," Townsley said.

For Randy, Tonkawa's sole stoplight is unavoidable. So, he's mastered the art of watching for it blocks away, and timing his glide through the green.

It was that route through Tonkawa last summer that Randy set a world record of 1,534 miles on a tank of gas. Then, Randy and five other hypermilers drove his little car around Tonkawa for 8 days straight, and on one 10.5 gallon tank of gas, they covered 2,255 miles, which they figure must be a record, too.

Jeff finally pulls into Okmulgee and decides to fill-up and figure his mileage for his trip home, 47½ miles per gallon. He figures he could have hit 50 if the headwind weren't so strong.

And Randy, home at last, says hypermiling boosts the Insight's EPA mileage more than 20%, he ends his trip at 105 miles per gallon.

"That's pretty good. Take that, OPEC," he said.

I know what you're thinking; sure, he's got a hybrid. But when that car was in the shop last month, Randy drove his wife's plain old Honda Civic to work, and using hypermiling techniques, he got over 60 miles per gallon.

By the way, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol says coasting downgrade in neutral or with the clutch disengaged is illegal.

Extended Interviews with CleanMPG Hypermilers Randy Burkhalter and Jeff Townsley.

To learn how you can up your cars gas mileage, click here.

Randall in rural Oklahoma - Hybrid cars and small sedans are the hypermilers car of choice, but they say even a Hummer owner can hypermile.

Randall performing a FAS for the cameras - Hypermilers use extreme methods to save gas, like shifting into neutral and turning off the engine while driving.

Hypermilers like Jeff say one way to save gas is take a route with the smoothest roads and fewest stops.

Jeff Filling up - When you’re getting upwards of 100 miles a gallon you don’t have to fill up very often.

Trailer #1:

Scott Thompson: What was your mileage on the trip home today?

Randall: 105 miles per gallon even.

Scott Thompson: A Group of Extreme drivers with secrets they’ll share.

Jeff: It’s easily implemented with a little bit of practice in your daily routine.

Randall: Anybody can do it in any vehicle.

Scott Thompson: But there techniques can be controversial. So people hurl obscenities at them or do finger gestures. I am Scott Thompson, my special Report at 10:00

Trailer #2:

Scott Thompson: Tonight at 10:00, it doesn’t matter if your car is a classic or not, you can boost your gas mileage and beat record high process of the pump. Meet green country drivers who have mastered the techniques of stretching fuel economy every time they get behind the wheel and they say you can learn how too.

Randall: I don’t listen to the radio. I am paying attention to the car, what the car is doing, the traffic ahead of me, behind me, the traffic that is approaching from both sides.

Jeff: It will make you a better driver. You are more aware of your surroundings, the motoring public as a whole, what’s going on around you.

Scott Thompson: Both those fellows have boosted their gas mileage more then 20% by paying attention behind the wheel. You can too, find out how. Tonight at 10:00 …[Read More]

Last edited by xcel : 05-11-2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Removed broken links to the the #1 and #2 trailer but left the Q&A intact ...
Sponsored Links
  #2   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 04:51 AM
Banned

Vehicles: 2006 FEH
Re: Saving Gas By Hypermiling.

Congrats guys! With gas prices constantly rising, I have a feeling that hypermilers will be getting more and more attention this summer.
  #3   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 07:18 AM
just the messenger

Vehicles: 2000 Honda Enzyte 5-speed MIMA, CalPod, SGII

Totally did not expect to see something like this in the morning.

Well done Randy and Jeff!

This will be a hard act to follow (possibility of Channel 11 in Dallas doing an interview)
  #4   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 07:32 AM
Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Vehicles: '07 Prius, '10 Focus, '03 BMW R1150RT

It was warm yesterday and I did hypermile my Prius, having my best result ever, around 54 mpg highway on an 80-mile trip. Hypermiling is nice.

I celebrated by walking to work today.

Harry
  #5   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Sorceress of the North

Vehicles: 2005 honda civic hybrid 5MT

way to go, guys. awesome interview, and it sounds like the announcer was putting things in a positive spin......

best segment, 102.5MPG

#6   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 07:44 AM
just the messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
It was warm yesterday and I did hypermile my Prius, having my best result ever, around 54 mpg highway on an 80-mile trip. Hypermiling is nice.

I celebrated by walking to work today.

Harry
When the temperature breaks around 65F, the improvement is apparent.
  #7   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 08:41 AM

Vehicles: 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid

Great Job! kevin
  #8   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Hypermiling Ironman

Vehicles: 96 Ranger 5MT, 98 Ranger AT, 92 Ford Van AT

Great job both of you... and sure sounded like positive spin to me. Going to show all 3 video clips to my wife and kids, and people at work.

#9   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 AM
just the messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHands View Post
Great job both of you... and sure sounded like positive spin to me. Going to show all 3 video clips to my wife and kids, and people at work.
A clip for Jeff, one for Randy....where is the 3rd one?
  #10   Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl
Old 05-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Vehicles: 2006 HCHII 2011 Odyssey

Congrats and well done!